YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi,

Apologies for this it was originally posted on the planned dive forum.

I'm thinking of changing some of my equipment and was looking for some feedback on the following items Pro Force fins and Buddy self inflating SMB's. I'm finding at the moment that at the end of a dive I'm starting to suffer from cramp ( probabaly due to a lack of exercise)which is the reason for the proposed fin change and for ease of bagging off on the SMB. Any info/views would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve Flint

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Apologies - I initially replied on your initial post on the Planned Trips forum!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I tryed the force fins a few times ( a friend of mine had some ) never got on with them, and he is now back to quatros the same as me. I think he gave them away in the end.

Hope this helps

Micael

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Cant comment on the fins. Never dived them. I had Seac Sub finns which were planks of wood and gave me cramp and now I dive Avanti Quatros which are very good and only very ocasionaly give me cramp  

The Buddy Gas blob is one of my best ever investments. It is a great way to use an SMB no stress no hassel just crack and go.

There is tosh about forgetting to fill it but the simple answer is dont.

Get the DIN type as they are much more compact than the A clamp type. Hopfully if you are an A clamper you have inserts in your tank. I have the big cylinder but the small one is fine.
I stow my one atached to the reel handle. Yes they are more bulky than a normal SMB but they are also safer to use and very reliable. If you loose your reel you are confident of a fulley inflated sealed SMB apearing on the surface with it atached.

All in all a great bit of kit.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Doesn't matter if you forget to fill the bottle anyway as you can inflate the smd like any other smd as I found out in Portland last Jan if you remember.

Get one, it is one of the best pieces of dive gear I own, you won't regret it if you buy one.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Buddy self-inflator - go for it, great bit of kit.

Re. leg cramps - I used to be a martyr to this. It came to a head when I went on a drift dive, my first fin-stroke of the dive sent agonising pain through my leg.

It turned out it was caused by over-tightening my fin straps. I stopped doing that, and never had a problem again.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Cramp - eat more bananas or switch to "lo-salt", cramp is usually due to potassium deficiency which either of this will rectify

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Thanks for the input guys please see my reply on the planned trips section.

Thanks again

Steve Flint

·
Registered
52 Posts
Imported post

Hi,
 I use the force fins - they take a bit of getting used to but there not bad, if its cramp/fatigue thats an issue a better fin option is the scubapro twin jets (now in black!!) used a pair of them for about a year before the force fins - sometimes regret changing them. oh and there cheaper than force fins too
As for the buddy blob, money well spent wouldnt be without mine now makes life much simpler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts