YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Paul Newland posted this on D-net:

"Just thought that some of you might find the following exerpt interesting...

W.L. Gore & Associates, manufacturer of the world-famous Gore-Tex fabric, is launching the world's first breathable diving dry suit. Dubbed the Typhoon, it is being demonstrated in diving conditions on Stand 277. The new diving suit has been designed specifically for military and special forces use and has been extensively tested to depths of more than 40m.

The unique properties of the Gore-Tex 'Descender' membrane used in the suit's construction ensure that divers can now benefit from technology that will minimise the build-up of sweat and condensation inside their suits. This process significantly increases the comfort level for the wearers and in so doing improves their performance.

The Descender fabric is expected to revolutionise working conditions for divers, keeping them much drier and therefore more comfortable within the suit, allowing them to maintain optimum physiological conditions. The suit will be available to the military and emergency services for trial and evaluation, but is not currently available to commercial divers.

All the best Paul"

Anyone heard any more on this?? Paul Oliver? Andy Commie?

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

sounds far too good to be true!

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Not me Bren,, but will look out and ask.

Andy

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

They did a trial at one of the Uni's on Goretex and the like.  With a surface layer of water (i.e. when it was wet from rain etc) they all lost 90%+ of the breathability.  Imagine what happens when it is 100% wet - no breathability to my mind.  I guess they are using a dry liner of some description within the suit, which might work comfort-wise.  One thing I've learnt though is that being wet isn't a problem - being cold and wet is.  So, IMHO, a drysuit with a good inner is going to be just as good, and half the price, of anything Gore can come up with.  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Problem is that goretex is relatively easily damaged even with protective layers of other material so while it would be useful around the torso area there's be little point in putting it all throughout the suit. I've just bought some new hiking boots last week and was given  some care guidelines about stones damaging the membrane.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

It probably wouldn't cut down on sweat buildup in the suit during the dive, but might let it out after the dive, so could work from that standpoint..

The other problem with Goretex is that it relies on micropores to let the vapour out but not let liquid in.

Those pores can and do get clogged - diving in the sea almost gaurantees the material will loose its breathability very fast.

Fun fact of the day - Goretex is expanded PTFE. PTFE = teflon, the same stuff the plumbers tape and the non-stick coating on cooking utensils are made of.

Consider how easily scratched non-stick pans are, and how soft and tearable PTFE tape is, and ask yourself if you REALLY want a drysuit made out of the same stuff

I'll stick with a Weezle and waterproof drysuit for now, I think..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

They have been using Gore-Tex immersion survival suits for some time in the North Sea. Ex hire suits are dirt cheap about £35 but I always thought the material would be no good.  

1 - 9 of 9 Posts