YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Thought I'd better say hello than be ignorant.

Angus here, a Yorkshireman living in South Wales (Brecon Beacons).  Love to dive anywhere and anything.  Always up for the last minute dives if I'm available, so if you know of spare places give me a shout.

Regards to all.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Angus,

Welcome to the boards and feel free to join in.

Daz

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Angus,

Sorry i'm miles away from you or i would be up for last minute dives . anyway welcome to the YD mad house .

Now , Brecon,,,,,,,,,,, NO WAY will i go back there EVER again,,,,,, always there on courses. got more wet there , than diving out of Dover in a slashed to bits dry bag.

have fun

Andy

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Angus

Welcome to the boards.

Ahhh, the Brecon Beacons, lovely country, but why do i not miss running up and down them now. I've spent many a day and night freezing cold on them.

Fond memories of a few beers in Sarah Siddons though.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Feel free to take it out on me for your rough nights & long days in Brecon.  I run the place where the majority of those courses are held!!

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Angus

I was young and fit then

Now i'm fat but too sensible to do that stuff again.

Other than the drinking bit

Oh, there are a few Cave Divers on here as well, mad the lot of them.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Courses i was on there were ,,,,,,,,,,, heres 2 sticks , bit of string , bit of green nylon sheet.

NOW go and make yaself a 5 star hotel and make a 4 course meal

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Dec. 01 2003,21:28)]Courses i was on there were ,,,,,,,,,,, heres 2 sticks , bit of string , bit of green nylon sheet.

Just wanted to tell you how much this made me laugh!!  

I had similar experiences with Duke of Edinburgh expeditions back in the day which were invariably conducted in the snow!!

I'm new too, and also from Wales, but I'm a bit shy of starting my own thread(!)

Hello all!  

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Don't be shy - didn't think anyone in Wales was shy!!

If your in South Wales (or anywhere come to that) and stuck for a buddy at anytime give me a shout.  Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angus @ Dec. 02 2003,20:34)]Don't be shy - didn't think anyone in Wales was shy!!

If your in South Wales (or anywhere come to that) and stuck for a buddy at anytime give me a shout.  Welcome aboard.
Thanks!!

I am in South Wales as it happens, very near the great metropolis(!) of Swansea.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Hi Angus,

A very Welsh name? Nice to see some locals on this board. I'm Living in Cardiff so if you're ever looking for a buddy for the NDC etc let me know.

Hope you enjoy, this is a mine of useful information.

gareth davies

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Dec. 01 2003,21:28)]Courses i was on there were ,,,,,,,,,,, heres 2 sticks , bit of string , bit of green nylon sheet.

Now-now Andy,

Both you and Paul O are better people for having done the 'Fan Dance' and enjoyed the glories of the misery of Brecon and the The Black Mountains! Did you ever do 'The Route'? Start and finish at the pub before heading back down?

And not to open up a side ruck of the 'Maroon Machine' vs the 'Hats' and the 'Cabbage-heads', but Angus, feel free to get yourself on a dive and hook-up with us soon mate. We're doing Anglesey this weekend, speak to Mark Davies (in Planned Trips - under 'Anglesey') to see if there are any spaces left.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Bren,

I can't believe that there would be an argument regarding 'the maroon machine, hats or cabbage heads' - it's obvious that only the maroon machines count!!

I would love to join you all on the Anglesey trip but unfortunately I'll be on the other side of the country this weekend.

Cheers

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Ah ha a Dangler

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hay so you're the lucky ones living in the best bit of the country. I come from the north my self but love the Pembroke coast line, if your sorting out any dives next spring over there give me a shout will be only too willing to join you.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Dec. 03 2003,20:54)]CABBAGE HEADS RULE OK
Come on Andy,

Come clean. From that response, it begs the question: were in the 'Andrew' or the 'Bootnecks'?

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to the two new sheep shaggers Angus and Welsh diver.

Do you wear your wellies whilst out clubbing.:D

WTF are the Maroon heads, The Hats, Cabbage Heads and the Danglers

Sounds like the new york street gangs from the Warriors.

l was in the army cadets so does that count?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the welcome Howard.

As for your question, the best way to look at it is like this;  the 'danglers' and the 'maroon machine' are one and the same and so are 'cabbage heads' and 'hats'!  

I would imagine that clears it up.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ Dec. 03 2003,23:51)]WTF are the Maroon heads, The Hats, Cabbage Heads and the Danglers

l was in the army cadets so does that count?

Hey Howard, here ya go:

'The Maroon Machine' and 'The Danglers' are the Parachute Regiment.

'Hats' (a shortened form of 'Crap Hats') is the lovingly tender  Para reference to the  beret of ANY other British Army regiment who are not either part of the Paras, or 'lucky' enough to be airborne-trained; and the fact that it does not have an airborne wings cap-badge on it, nor is it maroon in colour.

'Cabbage Heads' (Para's name for) and 'Booties'/'Bootnecks' (Royal Navy term) are Royal Marines - the rivalry between the Paras and 'Royal' is legendary and a sign of the extremely high standards and capabilities of both those elite units.

The 'Andrew' is the Royal Navy.

Oh, and having been in the Army Cadets might get you referred to as a 'Stab' .

Hope that clears things up.  

1 - 20 of 47 Posts