YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on the news today we hear the the government wants to increase the tax on alcohol to prevent 'binge drinking' in children (some as young as 11) and, presumably adults.

WTF should we all be punished because of what others do?
Why not enforce the laws that prevent children buying alcohol?
To my mind, if an 11 y.o. is finding the money by whatever means, nefarious or otherwise, then (s)he is just going to increase the amount of money they find - and they will.

If I was cynical, I'd say that it's just an example of the government deciding a problem is too tough to deal with so working out a way of making a little extra cash for the coffers.

....and breathe...

I fell better now, thanks for listening :teeth:

r
Paul

·
Lord Protector of the Pies and Defender of the Bee
1,021 Posts
Just thought i'd point out...

...its not a government proposal. Its a Conservative proposal.

"Mending Britain's "broken society" is the biggest challenge facing the country, Tory leader David Cameron argued - as a Conservative policy group called for a tax rise on alcohol to combat binge drinking.

Mr Cameron said the country was getting richer but something had gone "deeply wrong" with society."

Tories want tax rise on drinking | UK Latest | Guardian Unlimited

·
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...its not a government proposal. Its a Conservative proposal.
:embarassed: Oops, well I still think that it's an ill-thought out solution, still the opposition, whatever flavour they are, can propose all sorts of nonsense since they know that they'll never have to make good on it.

Gerbil said:
Mr Cameron said the country was getting richer but something had gone "deeply wrong" with society."
He obviously feels that not enough of 'the country getting richer' is going to the conservatives.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Paul, it seems like yet another half baked political idea intended to grab a headline.

That said why is it that if you go into any town in the UK on Friday or saturday night you see kids so drunk thay can barely stand, throwing up in the street and god alone knows what else.

In my exerience you just don't see this elsewhere (well except for brits on holiday). There is something very odd about our attitude to alcohol in this country.

I think its more about education and parental responsibility though, not a matter for the law.....

·
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think its more about education and parental responsibility though, not a matter for the law.....
Yup, as are a lot of things, and I'm sure the law would get a lot of, "Why can't you catch real criminals?" type of comments (from the parents) if they tried to enforce any of the laws or, heaven forbid, took any of the inebriated little darlings home for the parents to deal with.

ho hum

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Not thought out

So we raise the price of a pint of beer by 10p, no one will notice
So we raise the price by £1, the pubs will go out of business and people will buy from unlicenced sources

Or
We only allow beer of say 3% on sale in pubs-no more Ruddles or Abbot ale. So people stay at home to drink the stronger stuff.

Perhaps a stronger line with publicans might work-don't serve drunk people or lose the licence

Education about the health impact may eventually work, but I doubt it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.