YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of getting a new kitchen and we've had a designer knock a plan up for us. Now, i'm aware that they make their money on this aspect of the process (as opposed to white goods etc..) and I intend to save my money accordingly.

So, anyone in the know as to what sort of price deduction I should aim for, based on what their original quote is?

Cheers,
S.

·
You dir'ty ole' man!!!!!
2,437 Posts
In the process of getting a new kitchen and we've had a designer knock a plan up for us. Now, i'm aware that they make their money on this aspect of the process (as opposed to white goods etc..) and I intend to save my money accordingly.

So, anyone in the know as to what sort of price deduction I should aim for, based on what their original quote is?

Cheers,
S.
We take delivery of our kitchen this week and it gets fitted within 2 weeks. Had 3 quotes and each company (including MFI) gave us the option of buying the appliances direct or them supplying.

You can always play one off against the other, we actually chose MFI as they provided the better kitchen and the units for a substantial deal less.

Barter for cash also! Good luck.:teeth:

·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The designer works for a company who make and supply the units. We're buying our own appliances and have a builder (mate of a mate sort of thing) who'll do the work.

S.

·
Go Big or Go Home
1,865 Posts
i got a flashy design from a footballers wives place in manchester then reduced it to 40 % by finding my own unit manufacturer and kelkoo for the appliances it took a long time but the margins are phenominal

·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the info. I think we'd be rather chuffed with a 40% knockdown. Perhaps, when we get the quote, I can outline it here and you kind folk may be able to give me a few pointers on negotiable areas?

Cheers,
S.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
howdens supply mfi units :)

David

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts

David
We had our kitchen ideas from MFI, Homebase and B&Q. We too ordered from Howdens. We had to get a freind who is a tradesman (plumber) who had an account with them to order the Kitchen as my local place only sells to the Trade.

The benefit of Howdens is the untis come pre assembled. You simply put on the feet, put it in place and put the doors on. No more large piles of flatpack for us :)

Dave C

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts

David
Howdens is the place to go, if as Dave say's you know someone an account, as they are trade only. Ask your builder mate if he can set one up if he hasn't already got one.
It will be worth it is as you will get 70-80% discount off MFI prices.

This is a Howdens kitchen I fitted last year

·
'we are here for a good time, not a long time'
781 Posts
Better still try Magnet trade.

We got a quote from Magnet (non trade) when they had a 50% sale on, I then got a builder freind to get Magnet trade to come out and quote for the same kitchen, this came out over a grand cheaper!
One appliance however i could get for £150 cheaper from Sainsburys online, so they requoted me for this, knocking £155 off their first price :teeth:

The Magnet units are also a better quality than MFI (this is replacing an MFI kitchen and whilst that was good, it is not AS GOOD as the Magnet ones)

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Word of warning about B&Q ordered stock.

It's not unusual to get the odd measurement wrong and a mate of mine did
just that after ordering a kitchen ITRO 2k.

Found out a day later, after reviewing the plans that the 600mm wide,
pull out larder unit wouldnt fit. So instead he wanted to change to a 500mm
tall cuboard. Remember this was a day later mind, not even 24hrs on and the
ink hardly dry, so how much for changing?

25% :eek:

Yep, twentyfive percent of the original item which was about £250 odd.
So he paid £60 odd for B&Q to change an order that they said wouldnt even
be looked at for 4 weeks.

Think he shops at MFI now :teeth:

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Better still try Magnet trade.

The Magnet units are also a better quality than MFI )
most suppliers have a cheaper range including magnet mfi and howdens.
your kitchen can cost 400 to 40,000 you do get what you pay for.
but just go look find the style you want, then price that up with a few suppliers.
see which works out best for you :)

David

·
Registered
37 Posts
Howdens and Magnet are bitter enemies. Both guarantee to beat the others price so if you box clever you can get a fantastic deal by playing one against the other. IME Howdens are the cheapest.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Am l the only one thinking that you go with the best design? or is everyone thinking that you get each supplier to offer a design, pick the best one and then get quotes and pick the cheapest one?

l'm a building contactor and l get fed up with going to see clients, giving them design advice and then finding out they've gone with another contractor, using my ideas, but the other one was cheaper.

Good design costs dosh and has to be paid for somewhere.

·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good design costs dosh and has to be paid for somewhere.
I agree entirely and have no problem spending the money, or i'd try to do it myself. Actually, I wouldn't. But my aim is to get the best deal, not the cheapest. So, i'll be aiming to reduce their profit margin, not go for an 'el cheapo'...

Cheers for everyone's comments.
S.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts