1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I don't know a lot but have a few pc's and laptops. 1.7ghz processor isn't fast. I would go with something more. My work pc has 3.6 and 4 gig of ram works well with lots going on at once. I got a galaxy tab 2 last week £178 wifi from John Lewis 16g, impressed with it for surfing and small typing projects. I also have a Samsung n20 with 1.6 processor and tablet is much quicker. My 2p

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
if ur doing video edits I would suggest an i5 and 6gb of memory with a decent video card, but if money is tight then this may be out of range. I have been searching and you don't get a great laptop for less than about £400

Reactions: 666

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Dell are perfectly decent for laptops - can create a spec anything from bare basic to top end and customise as needed.

If you're doing any sort of video editing then get 8gb of RAM as an option or upgrade in them. Personally i'd also got for a Solid State Drive (SSD) as a primary (256gb or so) and a larger conventional drive in the 2nd bay instead of an optical drive.
Processor minimum i5 or if flush i7.

If you DONT want video editing the spec you quoted is fine, if you do you'll struggle with less than i5/8gb ram.

**-- DUE TO VERTICAL SCOPE BUYING OUT AND DESTROYING THIS FORUM I'VE MOVED ELSEWHERE --**

·
Registered
25 Posts
I personally would go for an i3 processor, the i5 is nice but still quite expensive. For around £400 you can get something like this from Samsung who are making nice laptops at the moment: Samsung 350V5C NP350V5C-A08UK and will handle some video editing.

Or for £30 more you can get a lower spec but with a 5 year warranty: BT Business Direct - FREE 5 Year Warranty with Samsung Business Laptops

When asked this question at work we always tell people to take a trip to somewhere you can actually try the laptops to see if you like the design before buying.

Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't get fooled by the ghz speed numbers alone as desktop and laptop processor speeds are not comparable. I can't see the dell link so can't comment on spec. Basic advise is ONLY get i3-i5 or i7 processor as the pentium is not a good chip - it's okay if money is tight but spend the most you can as you can't upgrade the processor.
Differences in intel iseries processors
I3 = 2 cores similar speeds to i5 less cache which slows down processing power.
I5 = 2 cores + 2 hyper threads (virtual cores) & better cache.
I7 = same as i5 but faster and only some have 4cores + 4 hyper threads. And more cache but very expensive.

Hard disks can be upgraded. Dells are easy to do. Recommend 500gb minimum
RAM at least 4gb more if £££ allow.
You can try dells at pc world too
MSG me if you want specific buying advice.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Ugh - Win 8. Windows tend to have issues with new OS. I would look round to see if there are some deals to be had on "old stock" with Win 7.

like this: HP 650 - Intel B970 Dual Core, 320GB HDD, HDMI, Webcam, 1 Year Warranty | eBay

If you just do surfing and stuff go even cheaper..

Packard Bell Netbook N2600 Dual Core, 1GB Ram, 320GB H/Drive - White Windows 7 | eBay

£229 inc P&P

[edit] just reading the memory recommendation - this is 6Gb for 300 notes[/edit] Anyway you get the idea - I'll shut up now...

Packard Bell Netbook N2600 Dual Core, 1GB Ram, 320GB H/Drive - White Windows 7 | eBay

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Just bought a Dell Inspiron 7520 for someone at work as it happens.

15.6" full HD 1080p screen (this is really rare and worth every penny)
Intel i5 processor 2.5GHz
Win 8 64 bit
750Gb HD
6Gb RAM

£499 incl VAT and delivery

Worth spending the extra for the full HD 1080P screen it's beautiful

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Thanks all. I have a day off tomorrow so I will pound the pavements in town and see what deals are on the go
If I were you I would wait till after Christmas. They all seem to have a £100 premium for late shoppers at the moment. Plus I have never seen a full HD 15" laptop before at that sort of price- they're all usually 720P HD which if you stare at it for a while is bloody annoying.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just bought a Dell Inspiron 7520 for someone at work as it happens.

15.6" full HD 1080p screen (this is really rare and worth every penny)
Intel i5 processor 2.5GHz
Win 8 64 bit
750Gb HD
6Gb RAM

£499 incl VAT and delivery

Worth spending the extra for the full HD 1080P screen it's beautiful
Now reduced to £444.11, hit the streets, find the models you like (make a note of model numbers as manufacturers can produce very good and awful ranges), shop on the net to customise. There will be some better deals after Christmas too but as with all technology it is always cheaper next week.

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
Ugh - Win 8. Windows tend to have issues with new OS. I would look round to see if there are some deals to be had on "old stock" with Win 7.
Or just install Ubuntu on any laptop capable of 64 bit and it'll fly compared to a W7 machine...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts