YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all.
I'm a member of the Cave Diving Group, Northern Section.
I dive only in caves, I tried the sea once but was scared as it was too big, mooved around a lot, had beasties in it, and it tastes terrible !
Being a UK cave diver means I actually spend most of my time proper 'dry' caving as usually our weather means no diving due to poor vis (anything more than 50cm counts as good to us!)
I can be found most weekends digging in some cave or other, usually on Ingleborough.
Seems a friendly site, hopefully no Florida style flaming here!
Always interested to exchange ideas etc from outside my usual field.
Have fun.
Dave.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Dave.

Good to see you getting in with the YD lot.

Have fun and feel free to post flame-free (but knowing your diving, I'd play it careful in the DIR forum early on!!!)

Digs.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave

50cm viz?? Have you been hogging the good sites all for yourself?

Wellcome to the land of the almost living.

James

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave

50cm viz?? Have you been hogging the good sites all for yourself?

Wellcome to the land of the almost living.

James

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well in Dave mate,

Feel free to post either cave/cavern related info and tales on here as much as you like; there's plenty of interest from those of us who don't cave, so post away!

And wlecome aboard YD.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave

Welcome, always good to learn and get views from other perspectives.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave

Welcome to YD.  It's good to have some CDG people on here.  I have more than a passing interest in cave diving although I'm not a UK sump diver.  My cave diving is all backmount stuff (Florida, France, Mexico etc.) but most of my diving is in the UK ocean.

I'm looking for some backmountable caves to play in with my buddies over the winter.  I know we have the Silica Mines and Porth Yr Ogof in S Wales and Hodge Close and Hurtle Pot in the North.

I met Brian Schofield the other day and tried his sidemount rig in open water. He was telling me about backmountable caves in UK.

Can you tell me any more about suitable sites for "non caver" type cave divers like me?

Thanks

Bob

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i have caved in ingleboro quite a lot, all the obvious ones, but i broke a vertebra on the steps in Simpsons a while ago (long story , but i now really am not keen on caving ladders).  There was about 3 feet of snow melting like mad and i could walk so i got myself out.
Done....erm...hang on...
Kingsdale Mastercave - did surveying on erosion of that clay layer from photos taken from the 60's.  The lass who i used to go with her dad was a founding member of the cave rescue.
Simpsons
Longchurn (yawn) - had kids in tow
heron
sunrise
Yordas (again with kids)

Would love to get into the diving side of things.

porglet

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Porg,

You're an outrageous slut darling - flaunting your caves like that!  

It was good to talk earlier on last night - maybe see you all on the Malta gig. Nitrox is cudgolling me to get on it too. Let's see.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>hey Bren, lets hope that Israel isnt too volatile while you are out there!

Slut indeed, huh, i think caving/potholing is probably the least sexy sport in the world.  A lass once said to me "get your ears pierced, if you die underground they can nail you to a plank and carry you out"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Hi all, cheers for the welcome!
Bob, I was intending coming along with Scoff to Capernwray, but got tempted to go digging in a cave on inglebroro...he did however make off with my harness and some tanks, so you may well have been using them!
Scoff is well known in CDG circles for his DIY aproach, but I think he wanted some 'proper' gear to show you all

We're both members of the Bradford Pothole Club and dive together a fair bit, so maybe we can all get together for a return match ?
Someone mentioned dive sites. Afraid you've really got all the UK backmount sites on the list, they are very few, and the ones accessible without dry caving even fewer.
Hurtle is certainly a good dive, but needs a couple of dry weeks to get decent vis. It can be stunning with 10m+ at times.
Any non caving divers should be aware of the access in the Dales, best to contact a CDG member to check this out. Many sites have restricted access, and it's easy to unwittingly screw up carefully negotiated access agreements.
I'll always be happy to advise, as will most divers active in the Dales.
Have fun,
Dave.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dave, nice to see you on here, 'probably the friendliest forum in the world
'
I was the other one getting tangled in your bondage dragon harness, once it's on though it sure is comfortable.
Scoff very kindly--? rashly ?---offered to show us the delights of Hurtle/Joint when the vis is good, I am assuming several days of poteen would be best for a first dip in a  UK cave? My only other low vis dive was St George when I largely bumped into things before seeing them.
Several open water dives in Crummock recently experimenting with side mount using my aluminium backplate is leading me towards getting a dragon. Do you or any of your mates use the wing attacher with the dragon?---I have been in touch with Dudley at Dragon, he suggests I send my wing--Halcyon single cylinder wing---down to him to ensure it will fit the harness.
Checking the vis index on your site there has been a lot of brown ale etc recently, I have only got until the end of Feb. to try for a dive , so here's hoping for a dry spell

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

a very warm welcome mate hope u enjoy your stay surrounded buy all us reprobates (only joking)best wishes leigh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts