YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A new compressor has started operating near the Breda, popped in today to talk to them at the Dunstaffnage Marina. It is near the pontoon so handy for fills when diving nearby rather than have to go all the way back to puffin. There is a good slip but not sure of any charges although they would need to be fairly substantial to be worth launching elsewhere once fuel is taken into consideration.
They can be contacted on C37 or 01631 566555. The out of hours phone number is a home line so I won't post it, I am sure he will give it you if you call the marina office as he gave it to me this afternoon when I popped in.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

We payed £10 to use Dunstaffnage marina to operate shuttles to conger ally on a novice trip about 4 years ago. They were very snooty and were not to keen on us being around, but charged us £10 and left us alone. Not sure if they have sharpened up to the revenue divers could bring in these days.

Paul

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I doubt it was Conger Ali you went to from Dunstaffnage. I can't even think where you would have went from there.

Peter

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Jan. 12 2004,12:53)]I doubt it was Conger Ali you went to from Dunstaffnage. I can't even think where you would have went from there.

Peter
Best to check posting before "firing". Was going to suggest going to the Falls from there. But then read it was a novice trip..... not such a good idea....  

there are a couple of small islands (well rocks really) just outside Dunstaffnage which give a decentish dive if all else is blown out. Can't remember their names off hand.

Cue - Rupert Bear with answer.........

Simon

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

I would suspect that he has the wrong launch site, sure you don't mean Ardgarten for Conger alley? They are not in my experience particularly welcoming for visiting boats.
The Dunstaffnage marina seemed very friendly last week, the owner/manager? was an ex diver and I had an interesting chat with him. I can't vouch for using them in earnest yet but will pop in rather than go to Puffin for my "on water" fills during the day as they must be more welcoming than them surely?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

O.K, I am probably thinking about the wrong place. It is the marina you pass if you are heading from Connel to Oban I was refering to. I might of course, got a different place in mind as conger ally??

Paul

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

On the way to Oban after Connel are Fishermans wharf, now closed and didn't exist a couple of years ago and then Dunstaffnage marina after it. There are two small islands and a cliff at the entrance to the marina which may be what you are meaning but none of them have "official" names AFAIK.
The dive orientated operators change quite regularly up here and compressors/boats etc move around different folk so a certain amount of confusion sometimes reigns

I can't vouch for the Marina yet as I have not used them, will probably pop in and get some fills soon and see how they are. As I said earlier, early signs are good and they seemed very helpful and friendly, will see if experience bears this out. Yachties, or yoties, are usually just jealous cos they have to take an age getting anywhere, powerboats rool!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Rupert,

Andys Crack rings a bell as an 'unofficial' name of a site by Dunstaffnage. Not sure of its derivation, too scared to ask :)
Sea Otter sometimes picks up here, and friends have berthed a boat there---divers.
Always been fine when we have dived out of there.
Our club have stayed at the Frog for mass trips, varying quality over the years, but very convenient.

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Just checked out my old logbooks for what the name off the rocks were and I have:

"small island next to Eilean Mor" - so thats next to bloody useless.  

Looking at my log, we used the old Assault Craft from Oban Divers. Do they still have them?

Simon

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Simon
Don't think they still have the assualt craft at Oban Divers youre going back a few years there.( Happy days) Probably now a museum exibit.LOL

·
Registered
365 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (parahandy @ Jan. 13 2004,21:52)]Don't think they still have the assualt craft at Oban Divers youre going back a few years there.( Happy days) Probably now a museum exibit.LOL
Fraid the assault craft are long gone.  The were binned after the side of one of them parted and ditched the unsuspecting group that had hired it into the drink, gear and all (might be worth a dive around the islands (5m) to see if they failed to recover all their gear.  Remember hiring these boats, you had to swim out to the moorings in the bay, unhook one of the assault craft, swim it back to shore (usually against the current), fit the engine, get the gear and divers in and then sit on the gunwhale loosing the feeling in both legs while you waited the 3 hours it usually took to get to the Breda only half a mile away.   AH Happy days.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StephM @ Mar. 24 2004,17:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (parahandy @ Jan. 13 2004,21:52)]Don't think they still have the assualt craft at Oban Divers youre going back a few years there.( Happy days) Probably now a museum exibit.LOL
Fraid the assault craft are long gone.  The were binned after the side of one of them parted and ditched the unsuspecting group that had hired it into the drink, gear and all (might be worth a dive around the islands (5m) to see if they failed to recover all their gear.  Remember hiring these boats, you had to swim out to the moorings in the bay, unhook one of the assault craft, swim it back to shore (usually against the current), fit the engine, get the gear and divers in and then sit on the gunwhale loosing the feeling in both legs while you waited the 3 hours it usually took to get to the Breda only half a mile away.   AH Happy days.
"You were lucky....  We... " etc etc in a Pythonesque sort of way.  

Steph your description is cock-on mate!! Happy days indeed.

Simon

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ Mar. 24 2004,19:58)]"You were lucky....  We... " etc etc in a Pythonesque sort of way.  

Steph your description is cock-on mate!! Happy days indeed.

Simon
And while we're on the subject, young fella mi lad, did you wave to me on Monday morning like you promised you would?

My street cred is low enough already without people seeing me stood on the caravan site waving a shovel at passing boats.

More to the point, was the diving good and where ever you were, was the weather as bad as it was here on Saturday?

F****n' awful is how I'd describe it.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Waved? Of course I did as we bouned up and down on the not so beautiful briney
 I did have to explain my actions to the folk on the trip  

Hit the Breda rather later than we expected (around 11.00am) after a late night sesh on the Gaelic Rose with scallops ceviche (raw scallies in lime juice and chilli and a touch of white wine vinegar) and red wine. We were joined by Gordon off the Jane R who is always good for a laugh (I've been out to Norway with him).

Diving was great and although the weather was not that good when you are on a liveaboard it dont really matter; as soon as you have finished your dive, it is get changed and get some scran down your neck and on to the next dive or pub.

Dived all the usual suspects in the Sound but also a new one for me; a fishing boat in Loch Sunart which sank in the last year or so.

Next time I'm up I'll pop in to say hi and put a face to a name.

Simon

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ Mar. 25 2004,09:11)]Dived all the usual suspects in the Sound but also a new one for me; a fishing boat in Loch Sunart which sank in the last year or so.
Snash,
       The "Tonn Vane" she's called! We dived her on a YD gig last year.

Peter

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ Mar. 25 2004,09:11)]Waved? Of course I did as we bouned up and down on the not so beautiful briney
 I did have to explain my actions to the folk on the trip  

Next time I'm up I'll pop in to say hi and put a face to a name.
Good enough for me then.

However,
, I would like to point out to the good folks of this forum that I am not touting for friends, no , not me, got thousands, no, millions of mates I have.

Well, hundreds.

Probably almost a hundred acually.

Errr, might be nearer twenty.

Oh alright, I admit it, I'm a sad tw*t and nobody loves me!

Will anybody be my friend please?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Just as a matter of interest, what happened to the person who started this thread - Rupert Bear. I noticed I while ago he has been set to "awaiting authorisation" and see some of his posts have been deleted, but could not find a ruck or anything to explain the reason.

Can anyone enlighten me? Sorry if I am being rediculously stupid or blind.

Paul

·
Optimist
119 Posts
Imported post

Hi All
We used the compressor for fills at the weekend during our Oban trip (AquaNorth). Saves a long drive to Puffin. We had two dives on the Breda from Adrians boat "Gannet" we were picked up and dropped off at the marina, and even used their handcarts to carry our gear to the end of the pontoon. The yachties never raised an eyebrow.
TonyG

1 - 20 of 24 Posts