YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder how much that cost? :confused:

To me it looks just like a chaotic mess..... watch this space.

More here

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Spooky, I was just gonna paste this myself... what a load of rubbish.

"It will define the venues we build and the Games we hold and act as a reminder of our promise to use the Olympic spirit to inspire everyone and reach out to young people around the world. It is an invitation to take part and be involved."

Absolute rubbish... who makes up this crap?

Wonder how much this cost? Games look like costing £9.13 BILLION, at the moment... add on another mill for a new logo redesign in a year or so...

Pete

·
No social integrator
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is an online petition with nearly 3000 signatures to get it changed,
Some say it looks like Lisa Simpson giving Milhouse a BJ
Brilliant - I'm all for it now. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Total cr*p

We were discusing this at work this morning. If the buget for the games is 9.1bn, then they've only spent £4.50 and a packet of crayons on this.

It's truely dreadful. I'm ashamed to call myself a designer right now! What's worse is this is going out to the entire world!

FFS! If I'd proposed this, I'd be standing in the dole queue right now.

Andy

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Yep... crap.

I will ask master Scubee when he comes home from school what he thinks. I expect he could have done better.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Wonder how much that cost? :confused:

To me it looks just like a chaotic mess..... watch this space.

More here
The bit with the word London in is a "sketch type" graph of the UK. The bit with the Olympic rings in is the head on a body of what you could loosely say with the 12 underneath it is a "modern" interpretation of a cartoon type animal body.
I don't suppose anyone here is a UK Ice hockey fan, but think "Telford Wildfoxes" and you'll get what I mean with the logo.

So I can see what they are doing with it, but its still a pile of poo. And this comes from an official 2012 volunteer ;)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Spooky, I was just gonna paste this myself... what a load of rubbish.

"It will define the venues we build and the Games we hold and act as a reminder of our promise to use the Olympic spirit to inspire everyone and reach out to young people around the world. It is an invitation to take part and be involved."

Absolute rubbish... who makes up this crap?

Pete
It's all part of the new wave of corporate shit that gets made up to sound amazing, but really in fact means nothing at all. Other examples include:

Metropolitan police: "Working together for a safer London"

Essex police: "Taking a lead in making Essex safer"

Some council vehicle I saw in London the other day: "Making excellence a reality"

It's as if these poncy think tanks actually believe that these mish mash logos and stupid bullshit phrases will make us forget that the event/company/object is just a thing that's no more special than anything else.

I hate to sound like a big fat kill joy, but something tells me we are not going to come out of the 2012 Olympics with anything other than a massive overspend and egg on our faces.

Millenium Dome anyone?

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
I saw it and thought 'nooooooooooo'

Some tosser in very thick rimmed stylish glasses in a studio in London thinks it is the dogs. Unfortunately, he's the only one.

Was it designed by Nathan Barley?

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
I actually liked the one it replaced with the olympic ribbon passing through London 2012 in the shape of the river thames... simple yet clever. Why change ?

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Millenium Dome anyone?
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Dome and though it was utterly brilliant. However, you had to go there with an open mind and no pre-concieved ideas or cynicality.

Most of the people who slag it off never went. Their loss.

For example - I know in 43 years time my daughters will be able to buy a book with my wife and I in it with messages from when we were in our 20's and before they were born.

By the time they read it I'll probably be dead and my eldest daughter will be celebrating her 50th birthday.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Blimey - it took me halfway through the thread to realise it was a stylised "2012", and I am usually quite good at "seeing things" in representation.

I tink the Lisa image has ruined it for me forever, however.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Dome and though it was utterly brilliant. However, you had to go there with an open mind and no pre-concieved ideas or cynicality.

Most of the people who slag it off never went. Their loss.

For example - I know in 43 years time my daughters will be able to buy a book with my wife and I in it with messages from when we were in our 20's and before they were born.

By the time they read it I'll probably be dead and my eldest daughter will be celebrating her 50th birthday.
And I have heard that it was better than expected by those those that went, but was it worth the cost?

The Olympics is a great event, and has much merit, but the UK (and therefore the people who live there) are going to be forced by the government to pay for an event that is really all about being able to say: "Look at clever old us. We hosted an Olympics". The initial projections for the huge creation of jobs, that is one of the things being touted as a good enough reason to host the Games, has already been seen as a sham created by the Number 10 types. They might create 50,000+ jobs, but they won't last past the games will they? How many cleaners, McJob burger flippers and people who point and say "That way Madam" do we need?

Add to that the ENORMOUS cost of security we will be facing. The Games will be a Christmas and Birthday pressie all rolled into one for any number of Islamic terror groups.

And then: Facilties and transport. My understanding (probably wrong so feel free to correct) is that the new Wembley was massivley overexpensive and the roof doesn't work. On top of that, having actually worked events there as part of my duties I know that the transport links don't work too well, leaving lots of people stranded after events. And we are going to host massive amounts of people and transoprt them from loads of facilities yet we can't manage 1 stadium?

Like I said........in my opinion, this will be bad for the UK. £400,000 for a piece of shit pink mess of a logo tells me all I need to know.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bag of shit and for £400,000 :angry:

Love the poll on the bbc site though:

VOTE RESULTS
How would you rate the London 2012 logo?
Gold 3.85%
Silver 3.85%
Bronze 5.77%
Wooden spoon 86.54%
104 Votes Cast

Dan

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
"the brand launched today by London 2012 is, I believe, an early indication of the dynamism, modernity and inclusiveness with which London 2012 will leave its Olympic mark."

Or...it is a middle-aged version of what someone thought the above might be like. Kind of an embarrassing uncle's go at graffitti.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Apparently this load of b*****ks cost £400,000. I want to know what they did with the other £395,995

Andy
What about the other £4005, surely you meant £399,999.50, the 50p was for the kid who drew it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What about the other £4005, surely you meant £399,999.50, the 50p was for the kid who drew it.
I was being generous. £4.50 went to buy coffe and biscuits.

I found this too: "The jagged emblem, designed to define the image of the Games in five years' time, comes in a series of bright shades of pink, blue, green and orange, and includes the signature five Olympic rings emblazoned onto the "0"

Words don't begin to describe how cr*p this is.:embarassed:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts