YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello all

Well here goes; PADI AOW - 60+ dives mainly abroad but part trained in stoney and dived south coast (Swanage) so not REALLY namby pamby softie wwd  - but I am off to Sharm in just over a week .
Introduced to YD by a new buddy I dived with at Stoney last weekend - boy - it was cool in my wetsuit! Yes I was the purple one running to the shower block!  

Really want to develop my diving further in the UK dunno whether to join a club - do bsac etc etc any thoughts ?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Welcome to YD.

Where abouts in the North are you

hope you enjoy there are a lot of helpful persons here abouts. Safe diving

gareth

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Snorkeldude

Don't give me the "I aint no namby pamby" bit. Anything less that 20,000 dives in shorts and a T shirt make you a woos! Any Stoney isn't real diving, someone in Notts. just left a tap on one day, I have a deeper pond.

Just thought I'd get you ready for some of the old crusties in the BSAC clubs!  
 Cause it's cost you £2K to go diving with PADI  
 (Can't show favouratism, I dive with both!)

Get a bit of exposure on YD for a month or so and you will be better able to make your own decisions. Listen to the pros and cons and do what you think will suit you. Join in some of our trips or arrange for a buddy, your welcome here and you'll soon get the hang of it.

James  

·
Registered
101 Posts
Imported post

Ach, get yerself up to Scotland for real man's diving. Deep dark scary cold wrecks in nothing but a kilt. That's the life. Having said that I'm from Lancashire so not a real Scot.
BSAC club structure is very nice for social life, but I'm sure PADI schools are equally drunk...errr...social I mean

·
Registered
101 Posts
Imported post

oh and welcom to YD by the way

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey SnorkelDude,

Welcome to the state of mind that is YD! Bear with James, he will grow on you.

It matters not where or whith whom you dive, as long as you do it safely and have fun doing it. If you're up for diving (you asked about joining a club), then all I can say is, you're in one, and it's called YD!

Get your name down for any of the trips in the 'Planned Trips' section and come along soon!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>snorkeldude,
welcome to yd...

as for the padi,bsac question?
yes,would be my advise

cheers
barrie

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Yes join a club by all means but don't fall into the padi bsac pitfall it aint worth it.
There are good & bad points for both. and I know good and bad divers from both.
but the club scean no less has a lot to offer. As do we. So dive in and Enjoy.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Welcome,

Look around for your club, nearest is not necessary the best.

Well in my case it was as we dive a lot and are quite social as well. But if i had gone up or down the road to the nearest eather side then it would have been different as they aint so good.

However there are a lot of very good clubs just beyond them, so in my area it would work out at about 60% very good diving clubs and 40% rubbish. Then again some of them don't like us

Don't forget SAA, lots of good clubs there as well.

Dive Safe

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts