YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

My TDI Advanced Nitrox & Deco Proceedures cards arrived today (Thanks Mark!)

Am I now legally obliged to go and whinge on the BSAC forums that I'm not allowed to dive to the limits of my qualification because they don't allow the use of pure Oxygen, or is that part optional?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Hmm... I'll have to check my textbooks..

But it's easy enough to cheat on ppO2s..

"Of course I was at 20m when I switched to my stage" works
"Of course it was 80% when I was breathing off it at six meters" doesn't

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nick Bown @ Mar. 05 2004,14:06)]The best thing is when people ask you "Are you a PADI or BSAC diver?" with a view to telling you that their agency is better than yours you can look at them smuggly and say "TDI actually". That really foxes them  
Smuggly - such a wonderful word, AND, so accurate when I mention MY TDI quals (mentally puffs out chest, slaps one thigh and gives a manly laugh).

I actually do smug in a very sureptitious and understated way as I find it makes me feel even smugglier.

Congrats Dom.

ps: yes, I know smugglier isn't a real word, or is it? Surely the very fact that I typed it makes it a real word?

Anyway, us TDI types are allowed to say anything we want - it says so on the back of my cert card.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The best thing is when people ask you "Are you a PADI or BSAC diver?" with a view to telling you that their agency is better than yours you can look at them smuggly and say "TDI actually". That really foxes them
"HSE at the moment..... Now F$$$ O$$ and leave me alone" always works    

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Even Basic Nitrox TDI ?

if so I can be as smuglier as you two, well done Dom.
Matt

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Mar. 05 2004,14:18)]Anyway, us TDI types are allowed to say anything we want - it says so on the back of my cert card.
I remember the first time I went to get a nitrox fill with my new Adv Nitrox card. Whilst the cylinder was being carried into the filling area I was asked to produce my card and fill in the fill log. When I handed my card over the guy looked at it carefully, checked the back and gave me a very odd look.. soft of "What kind of loony have we got here?"  

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

That's because they *know* you're some kind of loony, without having to ask for proof

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Mar. 05 2004,15:04)]Never been asked for mine,  

Matt
My card is produced whether they want it or not.  

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dom, IIRC BSAC limit is 1.4pp02 for deco diving and max 1.6pp02 for no stop diving.
Couple of years since i did the course mind you...

Stu.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Ahhh

Do i really care what the BSAC rules say? I dive the PPo2 i want to and that is safe for the dive.

I dive on 1.6 quite a lot, but only usually for a bit of a bounce, i will then have my 1.5 and 1.4 depths noted and get up to them.

I don't go all weak and dizzy as i get to my 1.4 MOD i just make sure i know what i am doing around there.

Bit like the drivel on the BSAC forum at the moment about percentages etc. They only apply if you are working the BSAC Nitrox tables. I could not be assed to get involved in that rather pathetic debate.

Dive Safe, Dive Nitrox

Paul

PS Never been asked for my card eather and it don't give percentages eather.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Go on, give the stuck up and crusty BSAC guys some stick for being anal, but remember to cut some slack for us cool and worldly wise BSAC divers. Congratulations on the new qualification, I generaly dive anything I want, but I don't do much deco anyway, so high mixes never realy bother me. If I were you I'd do the same and use a high mix if you want, as long as you understand what you are doing and are not just making it up as you go along you'll be fine.

James  

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

Smuggly isn't a word either, it's Smugly.  Sorry  

When I was in Oz, as a humble AOW and PADI Enriched air, I went to dive the Yongala wreck out of Townsville with a couple I met on a liveaboard.  They were intructor & DM and TDI trained.

The wreck is on a sandy bottom about 32m, similar to the Thistlegorm.

We managed to find a commercial operation to supply Nitrox as the dive shop (Adrenalin Dive, Townsville) couldn't do it.

I asked for EANx 36, they went for 40.  The guy was a bit iffy about it but provided the gas anyway.  My friend insisted that TDI allowed a PPO2 of 2.0.
The dive went without a hitch except one of them had an O-ring blow out on the surface - TURN IT OFF QUICK!

It's still one of my best dives, not for a wreck but for the life on it.  Napoleons (Maori Wrasse), Batfish, Potato Cod, Snakes, Bull Rays, Turtles all on steroids for the sheer size and the odd Bull Shark if you're lucky.
You're not allowed to penetrate the wreck but it's the b*ll*cks.

I was supposed to do it on a liveaboard but it was too rough.  I changed my flights and hung around until I could dive it and it was well worth it.

If you're ever out there, make sure you dive it.  It's worth a week IMHO.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>i think all bsac say is within your qual limits
so if tdi trained must be tdi limits
well thats what my d/o thinks so not going to argue with him as i dont want him maxing me out at 50%

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Dave

Thats what i work, as DO i don't go around analysing mixes etc, well not unless i did the filling which is most of the time.

I have never used the BSAC Nitrox tables since doing the course, i dive whatever mix is suitable for the dive, although like Narked i don't run up lots of Deco, about 20 min max and thats rare.

Afterall with the depth of most of the wrecks off Dover, with a good mix i get long run times anyway.

Dive Safe, Dive Nitrox

Paul

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Mar. 05 2004,21:34)]Do i really care what the BSAC rules say? I dive the PPo2 i want to and that is safe for the dive.
Well as the DO I would have thought that it was sort of expected. I was under the impression you were meant to be
showing some sort of an example - obviously not!

Nothing wrong with using a higher PPo2 as long as it's not on
the BSAC ticket, isnt a club dive and you dont expect BSAC
Insurance to bail you out if you kill your buddy!

TerryH  

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryH @ Mar. 06 2004,14:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Mar. 05 2004,21:34)]Do i really care what the BSAC rules say? I dive the PPo2 i want to and that is safe for the dive.
Well as the DO I would have thought that it was sort of expected. I was under the impression you were meant to be
showing some sort of an example - obviously not!
<font color='#F52887'>Surely it's best to dive under the safest circumstances, not Paul's fault if BSAC are still in the dark ages concerning nitrox training compared to some agencies.

IMHO, that shows a good example to the rest of the club using the best training available not just BSAC when they don't offer such courses.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Can I just mention that Paul shows a bloody good example of safe, responsible diving. Many of us who have dived with him will testify to just how much time and effort he puts into 'bringing on' novice divers, whether they are BSAC or not. If I lived near enough to his branch for it to be sensible, I'd join up in an instant.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts