YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok I need some help here…. It’s my birthday soon and I have managed to persuade her in doors to buy be a new regulator instead of aftershave and sock’s…  
I’m am purely a recreational diver, the only reason I go to 30M if there’s something to see down there.. I dive all year UK waters, so I need a cold water reg..  Budget about £200.00 I will be looking for something at the dive show..
I’ve read lots of reviews but want some advice from the horse’s mouth so to speak

Thanks in advance

Sean          

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Hi Sean
Am sure I won't be the first to say this - Apeks TX50. Divers Warehouse are doing it at £179, so you should be able to get it for the same if not less at the show. I use TX40s and love them, but with the price of a TX50 being so low, why not go for it!
That's my tuppece worth anyway!
Safe and Happy Diving
Martin

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

Got an ATX100 from the birminham dive show for £215

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

My Two pen'eth worth,

The Mares Abyss MR22 reg (approx £250 each all in) have had and used it for over two years and never let me down (diving warm or cold water). Now been relegated to use on my BCD and A-clamp rig for trips abroad since I went to twins and now use the Poseidon Jetstream regs for use in the cold/UK water - about £175 each the lot.  Side venting too, so when you're 'muck-diving' you're not constantly waiting for the bubbles stream to clear from your mask/viz before you can view what it is you're try to concentrate on.

Both are supperb bits of kit.

HTH.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I'm assuming you're after a single reg not a reg, octo + console?
I've used TX40s for a few years now without any problems at all, servicing costs are cheaper than many other regs too. would recommend getting a DIN fitting 1st stage too, preferably the non-turret DS4. From DWH: TX40 1st & 2nd stage £160, TX50 £179
Chee-az
Steve

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

I believe in the Apex regs as do quite a number of other divers, the other alternative is the MK25 Scuba Pro, but very expensive and outside your budget.
One consideration should be (in my opinion 4 what its worth) how much does servicing cost and where can it be carried out.
Poseidon I understand are very expensive to service, if its too costly then will you skim/miss year two/three servicing in which case you don't want the regs

Apex cost about £50 for 1st, 2nd and Oct servicing, O2 cleaning is £3 more.
The TX50 is better than my TX100 to breathe off, if you don't want a swivel turret then get the DS4 (same reg 1st stage) for about £70 and add your 2nd stages to that

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Bought a TX40 set at the Birmingham show to use on a bailout bottle.  Turned out a much nicer breathe than the Gucci Scubapros I'd been using for 5 years previously.  Gutted or what?
I'd say you can't really go wrong with the TX50, but also have a look at the Oceanic Alpha 7 - another lovely breathe.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

I've got both TX50 and a Mares Abyss.

I like them both - they've never let me down but if I was buying again - it'd be the Apeks.

My tip .... try and have a go with the Apeks, the Abyss, the Oceanic and maybe a Possy - and make yer own decision - a lot of feelings about regs is personal preference on the type of breathe they give.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I use the Oceanic Alpha 7 CDX - it's quite good. Can't remember it free flowing and never failed - breathe's OK.  I bought it because of the reviews on Divernet.  However, I borrowed an old Aqualung Calypso on holiday which was better.  Maybe I just need to get it serviced...

For the record, I'm buying a second 12li and need regs for it.  I'm looking at a TX50 + TX40 Octo, so pleased to see the comments here.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

I have an Aqualung Legend LX which was about £200 and thats an excellent reg. Have dived in 5 degrees C without hint of freeflow and breathes dry upside down too. Some people don't like the plastic top of the first stage but I like it.

I also have a TX40/DS4 for pony/stage which I got from SDS for £125. They are still doing them at that price but come with 42" hose which you'll have to change. Its a large second stage but you only seem to notice out of the water. I've never heard anything bad about these regs.

I plan on buying two of them for my imminent twinset or TX50/DS4's depending on price.

HTH

WL

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Thanks all it looks like the Apeks TX50.  And good Idea to change the first stage to din fitting. On my main tank I can remove the insert to convert it to din.. Never even thought of that

Sean :happywave:

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Steve W on 5:52 pm on Jan. 31, 2003
I've used TX40s for a few years now without any problems at all, servicing costs are cheaper than many other regs too. would recommend getting a DIN fitting 1st stage too, preferably the non-turret DS4.
<span =''>

Steve mate, why not the turret DS4?  Just personal preference, or is there something we should know...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

I think what Steve is saying is that a non turret 1st stage is one less possible failure point. I have both turret and non turret and they are excellent.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

With a  swivel turret in a standard single setup, the 1st stage is vertical and allows your hose configuration to swivel making your setup less rigid as it can move.
With manifolded twins the 1st stages would typically be setup horizontal and a swivel turret would not typically be an advantage and as discussed a rigid no swivel is one less potential failure point per 1st stage.
Hope this makes sense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts