YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

i'm looking into getting myself a posh new reg. i've heard poseidon are pretty nifty. my mate rekons some of the apex ones are good too. just wondered if any of you lot had any glowing reports of any particular reg.
ta.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

whoops. i meant apeks not apex of course.
just checking you're on the ball.
ta by the way, i'll be looking into them.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ian,
all mine are apeks, I can't fault them.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

HI,

I just got a Poseidon extreem after many happy years with an Apeks TX 100, get the Poseidon, it is a bit too giving at 10M but get it below 30 and it is the best thing ever.
And I mean that most sincerely folks.

By the way, I am now selling all my TX 100's, I've got three sets, TX 100 / TX40 combo's. If anyone is interested offer me a good price, I might say yes, they are all serviced and ready to rock, all the first stages are DIN, but I have the A'Clamp part to convert them back.

Please note though, I will not sell them until the end of March as I need two of them for a trip to Sharm and I can't afford the extra Poseidon's until bonus time at the begining of April.

Andrew

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Andy
I would be interested in a TX100 1st stage only if you have one for sale, I would like to balance my setup

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I often hear that Posiden regs are good below a particular depth. I would like to say that I have taken a TX50 Apex to 70m and it is very good to any depth between 0 and 70m. If I go deeper I will let you know

Mark Chase

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Ian,

I can recommend the Mares Abyss MR22 - the dog's gonads at any depth and good in warm or cold water. Mine have been with me all over the world and never let me down - not even breathed wet once!

Along with the Abyss, I can thoroughly recommend the Poseidon Jetstream - pure quality by the way. Breath a dream at any depth I've taken them to.

HTH and dive safe.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

I use Scubapro which I find very good and have been deep with them without any problems, I would go for a Mk25 with S600, but also cannot give you a true adive as I don't dive in cold water altough 14'c for me it is, I know...I know compared to your temp. is a hot bath.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

I bought the Mares Proton XL, heres what Mares has to say about it:
First stage
The brand new V32 first stage immediately sets itself apart with its distinctive aesthetics and exceptionally light weight for a first stage of this class. Its technical characteristics, with a diaphragm design and DFC system, are those of the famous MR22. Shockproof and scratch-resistant coating protects the hot-forged brass body with chrome-plated finish. The high-pressure valve features the SCS spherical seal system, for superior durability. The low and high-pressure ports are positioned for optimal hose routing and maximum diver comfort.

Second stage
Top-level performance for one of the most compact second stages on the market. Proton XL is a technological powerhouse. Integrated VAD system for effortless natural breathing. Two-component second stage body construction, which offers exceptionally light weight, (just 182 grams) as well as a unique look and superior resistance to abrasion. Anodized aluminum inserts enhance the front coverplate, incorporating the "mesh-grid" system. The exhaust valve can be easily inspected or replaced through a special opening in the exhaust ports. The first stage hose is of the "super soft" type for maximum diver comfort.
The brand new mouthpiece has been designed to ensure a secure grip with minimal jaw fatigue.

I am certainly glad I bought it.... great reg..

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

OK, someone put me out of my misery.

Is an ATX50 as good as a TX50?  Same for ATX40 v's TX40.  I know the ATX is the later model, but...

Just bought an ATX50 + ATX40 octo (DIN) at LIDS (£224 - seemed very reasonable at the time).

Hoping I haven't bought the wrong thing...!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

thanks everyone. i reckon i'll go for apeks or mares as most of my diving is around 30m. Andy p, i'd be very interested in buying your 1st and 2nd stage and octo. i dont know how much they are new so you'll have to give me some idea. give us a ring on 01332 206452. or i will see you in anglesey at weekend if you're going.
thanks again for everyones advice.
ian.    

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>TX v ATX

Both very good but some find filling a SMB from the skimpy ATX mouth exaust a bit of a problem.Apart from that I have heard no complaints.

ATX's are smaller and lighter in the mouth than the TX

I have two TX 50's and a TX 40 and I think they are very good. I use the TX50 as main back gas reg and long stop high 02 deco reg and they are a lovley breath. Posyden are a love them or hate them thing so try to try first. I didnt like them but some people that I respect a lot swear by them.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Just as an aside to Eddie post about the Mares - agreed the V32 / Proton XL is a very nice reg - lovely breath but it will freeflow in stock form in cold water - we took my other halfs to Capers about 4 weeks back and towards the end of a 25 minute pootle it started off - not massively out of control and still breathable but free flow all the same. Water was about 5C tops.

You can get a cold water kit which Mares say must be fitted at time of purchase though you could probably get it retro fitted - cost is about £45 for the parts.

I use Scubapro and have never had a flow, nor with some basic Oceanic Alpha 7/SP4s either.

Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts