YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I am about to get a twinset, and see this as an appropriate time to retire my 15yo Supra XL.

It seems to me that Apex TX and ATX ranges along with Scubapro and Posiedon seem to be among the highly rated at the moment.

Would any of you care to comment on this. I am considering a pair of ATX50, but wonder if getting the older TX50 or even the TX40s would make as much sense - especially if they are cheaper?

Is the difference between the 40s and 50 just another twiddly bit to break?

Adrian

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Go for the TX40

The TX50 has an extra lever so you can alter the cracking pressure if you want but you can do the same on a 40 with an Alen key.

I use a TX50 primary and an R380 backup. I have a TX40 on a stage bottle.

Very good regs, totally indestructable and cheap.

BTW I recommend a DS4 for the first stage, you used to be able to pick them up from RoHo for £70

HTH
Rob.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobK @ June 17 2003,14:08)]Go for the TX40

The TX50 has an extra lever so you can alter the cracking pressure if you want but you can do the same on a 40 with an Alen key.

I use a TX50 primary and an R380 backup. I have a TX40 on a stage bottle.

Very good regs, totally indestructable and cheap.

BTW I recommend a DS4 for the first stage, you used to be able to pick them up from RoHo for £70

HTH
Rob.
Rob

Why do you use the R380, and not another Apeks? Did you already have one, or is it a routing issue?

Why the DS4? I assume it comes with a DST.

Is the only difference a swivel, or is there more?

Adrian

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

Hi Adrian,
I have four ATX50s (twins and stages) and I'm quite happy with them - small, light and comfortable. You might want to try the TX as well as some people complain of bubble interference with the ATX range as the exhaust T is quite small.
The ATX50s and TX50s have a resistance control knob which I have turned right down if I'm not using the regulator - might help prevent freeflows, don't know, never had one!
All come with the DST first stage, which some will claim adds another failure point but which I'll live with as I find it makes the hose routing better, particularly with stages.
HTH

Robert

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ June 17 2003,14:24)]
Rob

Why do you use the R380, and not another Apeks? Did you already have one, or is it a routing issue?

Why the DS4? I assume it comes with a DST.

Is the only difference a swivel, or is there more?

Adrian
Hi Adrian,

I originally had the TX40 as a backup. It's ok but it is balanced which means it's easier to provoke freeflow, especially when it's hanging upside down. It's not a huge issue but when I got a stage I replaced the 40 with an R380 because that's unbalanced and put the 40 on the stage.

As for the DST/DS4 The only difference really is the swivel and the fact that the DST has the larger non standard port for the primary reg.

The swivel isn't needed for the backgas so for me there was no point using the turret version as it's just another o-ring to blow. I have a DST on my stage which is used because it allows the hose to route flat down the bottle when the reg is parked but also allows a clean routing when in use. I blocked up the larger 1/2 inch port and just used on of the standard sized ports. Again not crucial it just means all my lp hoses are the same fitting and I can swap them around.

Also of course from a tight fisted git point of view the DS4 was about £40-£50 cheaper than the DST last time I looked  

HTH
Rob.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Adrian,

go for a pair of DS4 or TX100 1st stages and either TX50, ATX50, TX100 or ATX100 2nd stages. If you intend to rig your twins DIR style you want to be able to easily de-tune your necklaced backup reg. Having the knob & lever on the 2nd stage helps a lot with this. The DS4 is internally identical (and in performance)to the more expensive A/TX100 1st stages (which I use 'cause I like the look of them  
)

Divers Warehouse sell the DS4 for £70 DS4

HTH

Mark.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Adrian,
just to bring a bit of balance into these posts - there are other regs than the grossly overrated Apex offerings  

I use Cyklons, a dead simple design that actually improves with depth - they can be a bit of an acquired taste in shallow water if set a little fine but your air consumption should improve as you are more aware of each breath.
For me the big advantage is that they are not shoulder dependent. I use one over each side.

Bullet proof as well. Worth a look/try and nothing to twiddle. You can stick your finger into the second stage to prod the venturi though (without gloves).

Cheers

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I'm with Richie on this.  Tried Apeks and Poseidon Jetstreams and went for the Cyklons coz I preferred the breathe on them and the fact that they can come from either side.

As has been said before - try before you buy - I would have chosen the Apeks if I hadn't done so.

I was with somebody that has Apeks on their twinset recently, we did an OOA drill which meant he was on my primary.  He came out of the water and stated how much he really liked my regs.

Remember tho. - Try before you buy.

Lots of us on here would be happy to let you try our kit if you want.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Imported post

I'm in a pretty similar situation but have more or less decided what I'm going to get after dascussing it with my instructor. I'm not sure if you're going Hogarthian (DIR) config or not, which I am.
I've decided on the two DS4s for first stages as they are cheap(ish), solid and reliable; an ATX40 necklaced as the backup because, as my instructor pointed out, it is slightly smaller and so sits more comfortably beneath the neck; and I'm going to (for the time being) stick with my Oceanic Delta 3 as my primary on the 2m hose.

As for the difference between ATX and TX, there is none. They are both basically the same equipment, the only difference really being style (ie the ATX series are slightly smaller, hence my choice for backup).

As for the Poseidon option, I know people who swear by them. Personally I've only tried them a couple of times and they weren't for my liking. Plus if you're going DIR route then I think you enter problems should you want to 'open up' the reg (ie to clear and mud of the diaphragm etc), as I think I'm right in saying 'special tools' are required for the Poseidons. Of course if I'm incorrect with that statement then hopefully (and I fully expect) I'll be corrected by someone!

TD

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks for your opinions so far.

Dave - I would say I will be going DIRish in the future, for the moment the twins will be bolted onto Buddy Commando. Wing maybe later this year or early next.

Tim,Richie - I can borrow a Cyclon from someone, and I thinkI know someone to lend me an Apeks - not sure what type yet.

Mark,Rob,Robert - Thanks for you comments.

Hopefully I will see some of you on the Plymouth gig, I should be about, possibly with RIB.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Just as an aside: I swapped my TX40 and TX100 over the other day, so my yellow TX40 is now my primary while my black, more-adjustable TX100 is my necklaced backup in its maximally de-tuned setting.

Haven't noticed any breathing differences yet.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Does the DST turret really raise any issues compared to the DS4?

I can get the DS4 supplied with a TX50 at the same price as the more expensive standard DST, but is it really worth the price? The supplier (Divers Warehouse) did not seem particularly keen on the change. I did not even get onto the question of changing to standard thread hoses.

Adrian

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Mark

I realise my previous comment was not very clear.

The TX50 is supplied with a DST as standard. I get get the DS4 supplied instead at the same price as a DST. Normally the DST is £30 more than the DS4. Is it worth paying what works at £60 (I'm getting 2) for having the DS4s supplied rather than DSTs.

I suppose I could buy the DS4s separately, on the gamble that I could sell the DSTs at £70/80 each.

Adrian

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Apex arte good reliable work horse regs with a fine reputation of a good breath. The TX 50's I use for deco and back gas are great for me  but the adjustable cracking presure on the TX 50 is not relevent it is always at max. The lever for + - on the reg is in - position when reg is not in use and thisc prevents free flows. In + position in use is a nice breath.

Freinds and respected divers use the Posidens and love them. I tryed them but didnt like the wet breath or the grit blasting of the tonsels. That said you will never want for gas with a Posiden. Its a love them or hate them thing and I fall into the latter.

Posidens are also horendosly expensive to survice.

Apex are common as muck so spares are not generaly a problem even oversea's. I fancy the ATX200 but I dont know why as my TX 50's are great

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Mark and Mark

Thanks for the further opinion and pm (Mark) ;-)

I am hoping to compare a Cyclon and TX40 or 50 this w/e and decide. Although I am tending towards the Txs, I wish to compare at 30m or so.

Adrian

·
Registered
83 Posts
I personally use cyclone on my twins and ATX40 with DS4 on my stages and find it a nice combination.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Adrian Kelland said:
Mark and Mark

Thanks for the further opinion and pm (Mark) ;-)

I am hoping to compare a Cyclon and TX40 or 50 this w/e and decide. Although I am tending towards the Txs, I wish to compare at 30m or so.

Adrian
There should not be much difference, except The Cyclon takes getting used to TXs if set up right should be the same. look forward to your report next week :)

David

·
London Escapee
160 Posts
TDave said:
Plus if you're going DIR route then I think you enter problems should you want to 'open up' the reg (ie to clear and mud of the diaphragm etc), as I think I'm right in saying 'special tools' are required for the Poseidons. Of course if I'm incorrect with that statement then hopefully (and I fully expect) I'll be corrected by someone!

TD
This is kind of true. With Cyklons you can unscrew the whole end portion, which will allow you access to the internals/diaphragm, but not to the same extent as some other regs - that's without special tools. I know a cave diver who regularly does this underwater.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts