YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi I've just moved to West Yorks and am looking for a dive club to further my training. Completed my advance PADI and want to move on - any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Wedge
do you mean you want to join a BSAC or othr club and use your padi AOW as X-over thing?
In which case you'll cross-over as BSAC Ocean Diver via a SALT process (Statement of Alternative Training) and be encouraged to undergo Sport Diver Training, details of which you can view Here
and here's somwhere to start for a bracnh in your region
BSAC Yorks branches

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Imported post

Agree with Steve, consider BSAC for training levels

1 its the best for UK conditions and if you can dive here you can dive anywhere

2 its almost free

3 branches tend to do more diving than PADI shops

Lots of access to BSAC sites, but nearly all public swimming baths have a BSAC branch using the facilities, that how I found mine and there were 5 branches in one town

Enjoy

Shiney  

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Hey Steve - thanks for the prompt reply. Hadn't really thought about a BSAC conversion, kinda feels like reinventing the wheel, especially after investing so much time, effort and cash in PADI. What's the benefits? Or I am opening a can of worms here?

Cheers mate
Ian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Also is there international recognition for BSAC as there is for PADI as I do more international than national diving.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>wedge m8

1st
you can dive with a bsac club to your own cert levle, if you want to do further training within bsac then you will have to do a cross over as steve w says

bsac clubs are an excellent way of going diving, and i would recomend them, (as a padi diver/crossover)  
as to the attitude towards padi within bsac clubs, unfortunatley this will depend to the club you pick, most are fine, but i have herd of a few tales lol

bsac is reconised worlwide, furthermore uk bsac divers usually gain instant respect from dive centres worldwide, due to the high quality of divers it produces

alternativley there are plenty of dives being organised on this forum, a lot of the divers are from the north
and i know you would be made more than welcome

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I would just add to t'other Steve's comments that it is not unusual in my experience for divers to do a bit of both agencies training, I don't subscribe to the usual bsac v padi argument, both have their merits AFAIAC, and I don't believe it is possible to learn too much about diver training. Basically with a BSAC club they would probably buddy you with a more experienced diver until you got to SD or had demonstrated that you were up to the required standard our cold dark waters demand.
BSACs biggest advantage is its inherent low cost, and it also tends to be a very safe environment to dive in, though some clubs can be awful
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>what about

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>club polotics</span>

lolololol

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Err.. Guys,

Just so Wedge doesn't get ambushed about inter-agency BS before he's stepped foot throught the door!!!

Wedge mate, if you'd like to continue your diver training and recreational diving with PADI, then YES, we can hook you up with buddies and courses, no sweat, just let us know what you need and when and where.

Conversely, if you'd like lucid advice, pro's-&-con's etc. of other diver training agencies (TDI, BSAC, SAA, SSI etc.), then we can provide that also so you can make an informed decision on the type of training you think you might want given the type of diving you see yourself doing in the short, medium and long term.

Rule number ONE on YD - there is no such thing as a stupid question, EXCEPT the one you DIDN'T ask! Do NOT feel brow-beaten or press-ganged into any diving methodology just because those you might perceive to be the 'great-and-the-good' might like to see you there! Outside of safety, there is always an alternative approach to most things.

Rule numer TWO on YD - we do NOT do the PADI Vs BSAC ruck, as favoured by some other diver forums. Feel free to ask about any aspects of any diver training agency or school, but do not get into the 'my club's better than yours because.....' bollocks.

Welcome aboard again mate

Hope that helps.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Hiya Wedge

I see that you are in Marsden, I think there is another YD in Marsden but cant remember who now.. Anyhow I am in Huddersfield, about the furthest you can get from the sea. I am up for playing out on sundays so give me a shout. I am Padi AOW (will b rescue after next weekend)

Jules

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Best of luck to both of you doing RD.
Wish I was diving but someone has given me their germs and I cant go  

ps Sorry forgot to say Hi to Wedge, welcome to YD mate, watch out for Peter K though.

Matt

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks Matt,
I've done the Pool sessions now, have the final theory and exam session tonight, and then a weekend of climbing into and out of a muddy puddle.

I thought you were telling us how you never got a cold

Anyway, I also must apologise, Wedge... I hijacked your thread, without even saying Welcome!

abucksdiver

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Did I say it was a cold? Bloody cough, dry throat and keeping me up all night so I feel knackered. I'll get the swine later.

M

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 05 2003,12:36)]ps Sorry forgot to say Hi to Wedge, welcome to YD mate, watch out for Peter K though.
Hey Wedge, welcome to YD and get amongst it. If your truly looking for a good organisation, move to Scotland and join ScotSAC. Paddy and Beezak are for poofters.
 Most of us are OK apart from that bar steward MATTBIN, he's a ruffian.

Got my spoon out and am digging a hole!!!!
Peter

·
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ June 05 2003,11:38)]Jules,
You doing your Rescue this weekend? SNAP!

Although, being a Southern Shandy Drinker (sorry Howard!) I'm doing mine in a muddy puddle near Heathrow.... where are you doing yours?
<font color='#736AFF'>Doing it at Vivian , llanberis north wales, (in the lake not the quarry) with Matt (aged thirteen and three quarters). Not to be left out Bethi (12) is doing her dry suit course in the quarry. First time in cold water for her but she is really excited. So it's a family outing to wales!

thanks , I think I have learnt a lot already which is why I wanted to do it.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Hi and welcome Wedge!  Nice to have you with us, I wonder why the mad scientist has changed his avatar from the cheery little penguin to a bat?  We also have a resident tart.  Somewhere.  He'll be around later.  Dive safely.  Ribbet.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Frog @ June 06 2003,09:13)]
<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] wonder why the mad scientist has changed his avatar from the cheery little penguin to a bat?
You'll see if you come on one of the YD gigs that I'm on  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I  We also have a resident tart.  Somewhere.  He'll be around later.
Where is the lesser-spotted Willo these days
 Haven't hardly heard a peep from him lately, someone send out a search party

Chee-az
Steve

·
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ June 06 2003,10:21)]Where is the lesser-spotted Willo these days
 Haven't hardly heard a peep from him lately, someone send out a search party
<font color='#736AFF'>He was last seen by me at the Farnes on Sunday 25th May when he ate some of my mothers fruit cake, it didnt seem to affect his buoyancy for the 2nd dive and he managed to get backon the boat.
jules

1 - 20 of 26 Posts