YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

After much deliberation, talking to 10 different camera shops, Timing and lots of other people i went for the olympus 5050Z. I got it for 400 quid it arrived this morning.. gonna play with it tonight. The housing is 135 and it's on its way. Did nt get a strobe yet. So interested to know if anyone has a strobe for this camera and what they would recommend.

mmm new toy....retail therapy...

Cant wait to play...

jules  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Good luck with your newtoy Jules, I got mine in november and I'm still figuring out what half of the buttons are for  
 I think Tim should run a UWP workshop for noobs like us . I'm still waitning for my housing, it was out of stock at the weekend. Then... need to get the colour correction filters, one for UK and one for tropical so there's another 140 squid to shell out, ho hum, it's only money after all

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hay fellas ive just seen some results of the said, camera my mate took his to the red sea last week, much better than I expected, which is a prety fair coment as I'm a 35mm fan. But could easily change after what ive seen.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Anyone who wants to see the type of results you can get with the C5050Z you can check Tims pix on my webspace, it's not a proper display site so you'll have faff around with the scroll bars. See Here  
these are only the small images, quality is better on the larger files

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have two friends who both got 5050's more or less at the same time. They've both been diving A LOT with their cameras and get good results. At least it's not the camera ruining the shots, to put it that way.
BUT:

One of them's had two floodings. The last one was Monday. Camera is 100% destroyed.
Now it could seem that he's a bit carefree with his stuff so it could be a case of bad maintenance, while the other bloke's never had any trouble with his.

So that's just a bit of warning. Be VERY careful cleaning and siliconing your camera housing... My friend COULD be unlucky, but it could also be a flaw in the housing design.

Regards,

Kyrre
Canon-man  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

just had the same lecture from Nick but it was along the lines of "make sure it's listed on your house insurance..."
Toys ar e for playing with...now all i need are some buddies and some dive trips...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imported post

Hi Jules
I've got a 5050Z but am using an Ikelite housing which is a bit more robust, now I don't want to scare munger but there have be some leaky PT-015 housings, its the mode control knob that has been the problem but as far as I know it has been sorted now.

If you look back at some of my earlier postings on this form you will see some pic's I've posted, all taken in the uk with the built in flash. Best of luck and look forward to seeing some of your own handy work.

Allan

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wrecktrekkie @ Feb. 12 2004,22:22)]Hi Jules
I've got a 5050Z but am using an Ikelite housing which is a bit more robust, now I don't want to scare munger but there have be some leaky PT-015 housings, its the mode control knob that has been the problem but as far as I know it has been sorted now.
<font color='#0000FF'>Yes, the mode control knob was the reason for the first flooding my friend had.

I just got in contact with my buddy (after 4 days... I was afraid he'd gone and topped himself!) and he explained what happened.
He lost his balance while entering the water at the beach. Had to support himself on the camera, sandy bottom, thought it wouldn't matter. All of a sudden the gasket blew out, probably due to gasses from the battery. A bit of saltwater is all you need for a short circuit...
He's tagging along for our 2-dive wrecktrip tomorrow. Borrowing a camera he is destined to get back in the water.

Good luck with yours, Jules. And good tip, that about house insurance...

Kyrre

Kyrre

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Jules,, what did you go and buy that piece of junk for - I'd have gone for a .....BONICA!

Seriously, well done I hope that you gets loads of fun and frustration from it.  It really is a great camera - very versatile and well capable of producing some superb shots.  Before taking it UW I suggest that you take the time to get to know it by playing with it (and all the settings) and taking lots and lots of photos top-side.

oh and make sure that you do get it and the housing insured before letting either even see water.

Before buying a strobe take a look at this on digital diver.  The guy just used a colour correction filter (and not even an expensive UR-PRO one) on his Oly 4040.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wrecktrekkie @ Feb. 12 2004,22:22)]If you look back at some of my earlier postings on this form you will see some pic's I've posted, all taken in the uk with the built in flash.

Allan
Where?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 13 2004,10:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wrecktrekkie @ Feb. 12 2004,22:22)]If you look back at some of my earlier postings on this form you will see some pic's I've posted, all taken in the uk with the built in flash.

Allan
Where?
Related links :-

Link 1
Link 2

HTH
Daz

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Jules

Just to update you as promised.  I went on my course last night and the instructor had based his hadout on the 5050, although he is really a film man he has used this camera alot and I got the impression he was very impressed with it.  There seem to be a lot of manual setting like focal length and shutter speed, something I haven't got on the Sony.  Also I thought the 5050 was more bulkier than it is and it was also the price which was my diciding factor.

As you have posted some very nice piccies I would suggest that a course would be a bit basic for you, but I thought it was fine, just about my level    

Some interesting points came out of it though and I am sure someone will disagree as there seems to be some competant photographers on here, for the cost it was worth it.   I was unsure if strobes and filters were an essential bit of kit, but he was saying that as long as you get in close and use the macro settings then the internal flash is good enough.  So I will probably go with that advice for now, practice on things that stay still.  I didn't understand the different filters but he sorted that out again although he wasn't actually a fan of filters he reccommended them for use in 5 - 15 metre range without internal flash.

Anyway will take it to Mull and then Redsea and just have a play and see what happens.

Happy snapping.    

Fiona

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Feb. 13 2004,12:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 13 2004,10:46)]
[b said:

Allan
Where?
Related links :-

Link 1
Link 2

HTH
Daz
Thanks daz! I've seen them now. Nice pics.

·
apparently diving is fun!
104 Posts
Imported post

Hi julia,

Great to here you have got sorted with a camera. I use the same one, but with the iklite housing. First thing make sure it's insured! I droped mine in the sea end of last year - and it was not in it's case at the time!! Insurance paid out within 48hours.

Any tips or pointers don't hesitateto give me a bell. As for diving, at the moment i'm usually found in some water 3 or four times a week. You only need to ask.

Cheers

Smudge

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Me.  Got it with Divemaster - Had to be sure that it covered flooding.

Next time I may get it covered by household - its a lot cheaper if they do cover flooding (no questions asked).

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Sorry, James, it doesn't work. You have to be a member to access the links. Could you not post them here?

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Good point John.

How do I do it?

James

1 - 20 of 28 Posts