YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,

afetr much indecision I finally chose and bought a camera. Being something of a luddite I opted for film not digital and went for the Nikonos V with standard 35mm and a strobe.

Ignoring the (good) advice to get used to the camera before diving (no time) I jumped straight in.

Attached and following are a few from the first roll of film.

All are as taken with no retouching other than cropping for size to allow posting.

This is looking up from the stern of the An An wreck (Saudi Red Sea) from around 30m.  Natural light, no strobe.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

Having just seen the previous post I'd just like to say that the resolution has been lost somewhat from the photo to the post, as the snap is fairly sharp.  I think this is to do with my ability with the scanner and software.

Attached here is a moray  taken at the same depth, 28-30m on the same wreck.  used the stobe for this though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

same wreck but shallower, around 10m, natural light.  the turtle was munching away at some weed and was being harassed by 2 surgeon fish.  Neither the turtle nor the fish took any notice of me even when I was within 2 feet of them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

another of the turtle.  I took several of this beastie but when scanned (even if cropped) they are too big to post.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Last for now.

This ray was at around 25m on the same day asthe the others but a different site.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

I've just looked at the photos I've posted and was disappointed with the resolution.

All of the photos are crisp and clear, as are the scanned images.  they seem to have lost something when posting.

As I said I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to computers (hate the things) so any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers,  John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>John,

Nice photos even without optimisation - especially like the turtle ones.

Most image manipulation software should have a 'sharpen' function which can help restore the original print's resolution. If you need to resize an image, as well as cropping, to make it smaller, try sharpening it before you resize. Trial and error using the undo button will allow to to get a good sharpness without overdoing it.

Next to sharpness and resize, changing the colour saturation of the image and fine-tuning is a good way to improve on some images. Allows you to adjust for underwater colour tinge and make colours stand out.

Also, most photo developers can transfer your negatives straight to CDROM at the time - image quality is far better than scanning from print.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Meant to also say, I have a quick example of one of your images ran through Photo Editor - not the best software for image optimisation - but can't add it to the last post from this PC.

Let me know if you want a look and I'll PM / e-mail it to you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Hi,

thanks for the comments.    

For info, photos were scanned with HP scanner/software and converted to JPEG with Adobe (it's what we have here at work).   Photos are mainly for my own / family enjoyment so don't plan to do much in the way of manipulation (but you never know....).

I'd be interseted to see the results of the photo that you've had a play with.

Cheers,  John

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Hi John

First off the pics are great considering its the first time AND its non digital !!

The turtle pic is a little overexposed but as the folk have said, use of software (Photoshop 7 is excellent) will help to sort things out - certainly helps me with the digital.

Again - nice pics !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts