* Air, Nitrox & Trimix to 300 bar
* Hot Food & Drinks
* Massive Car Park
* Fully Stocked Dive Shop  
* Underwater Attractions
* Technical Diver Training  
* Rescue Facilities & Decompression Chamber "

Enquiries: [email protected]  

Anyone up for a recce?? Be rude not too. Here's the email I've just sent them asking a few polite questions:

" Hi Guys,

Firstly, a big congrats on extending the choice of both divers and those that have to train them with this new venue!! The usual haunts have been having it all their own way for far too long!!

You do realise that you're gonna take a chunk of business from Stoney Cove, right? No bad thing - let's just hope your car-parking is better than theirs ;-)

Secondly, your initial advertising is unclear and I'd like to ask the following questions:-

* Are you covered or uncovered?? Not that it matters a great deal, the whole point of diving is to get wet, right?
* When do you open fully/for paying guests?
* Are you a former quarry? Purpose built?
* What kinds of "Underwater Attractions" are you promoting??
* What car park capacity are you promoting?
* Do you do group discounts for a troop of 10+, 20+ 30+ and 50+ divers etc?
* What kind of entrance fees will you be charging?
* Will you be offering a Membership scheme? If so, how much will it be and what advantages will it bring the member??

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm the recce party for Yorkshire Divers and we're well interested in coming down for a Troop wet!

Hope to hear from you soon. Or, if it would be easier, please give me a call on the number below.

Thanks in advance and look forward to seeing you all soon. Good luck!

Cheers,

Bren Tierney

http://yorkshire-divers.co.uk

Mobile TEL:  07764 - 174647 "

So, more when they get back to me with the answers, but certainly something to mull over what?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
* Convenient to M4 & M5 corridors
<span =''>

without looking at a road map I've absolutely no idea where this is and there's no further info on their link, anyone any idea where it might be ?
Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Closer to Bristol than London. HTH stevie.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Nice one Bren - be good to get more info than the basics on their website.

I have seen this discussed elsewhere (don't remember where) and have a feeling that its near Chepstow - more my part of the world.  If it is then that would make a great trip - I'd be up for it (can blag a visit whilst on a family trip down there!).

OTOH I believe there is another site opening further south - a couple of the guys on the ukdivers forum were discussing it a while ago.  I'll check.

Right, check out http://www.vobsterquay.co.uk./.  Not much on the site right now but I think this one might be in Somerset - for the real Yorkshire folk here, thats below Birmingham
;-).

OK, Also found this on DiverNet  http://www.diverforum.co.uk/talkforums/diverforum/posts/9500.html.

Looks like them there in the South West are goin' to have plenty o' sites to dive.  

(Edited by Timing at 9:28 am on Nov. 21, 2002)

(Edited by Timing at 9:50 am on Nov. 21, 2002)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Sigh...more sites for the 'softy southerners' ;):pity_party:

:soapbox:  I have an ongoing "I don't believe it...!" situation re lack of suitable 'holes in the ground' anywhere up here: there's Cawfields on Hadrians wall (6 m max - v bad viz but it's free),
Ellerton Lake - about an hour from Tyneside, 9m max-ish viz generally poor, £3.50 but they do have facilities
and, errr..... that's it!

Next nearest alternatives are:
The lakes -nearest is still about 1.5 - 2 hours away
Capernwray - two hours away;
Burton Riggs - about the same (somewhere near Scarborough IIRC).

I can see a huge hole in the NE divers market; anyone got some TNT & a JCB?  :smash::smash::smash:

Steve

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Worth a look, but if we went that far into shandy driking country, its worth going the extra bit to Pembrokeshire or south coast.

Still we should organise some long weekend trips down that way for begining of next year.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Ben on 11:55 am on Nov. 21, 2002
Worth a look, but if we went that far into shandy driking country, its worth going the extra bit to Pembrokeshire or south coast.
<span =''>

Shandy in the South is like adding water to fine malt - you have to do it to appreciate the fine and subtle flavours of the beer - and to reduce the effects of some very strong tipples.  The quality of the beer is quite different to the pish served elsewhere. ;-)

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

A hole in the ground in the NE Steve ...

What about Sunderland? Hey just kiddin'

I'm very lucky - some of the guys I dive with have access to an old quarry. 20m max - great viz - bugger all in there but fine for training. The only problem is it's just north of Edinburgh.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Here's the reply I've just received back from the this new dive site:

"Thanks for your interest in this new dive Centre, we will post a new update on progress on the Centre web site and via e-mail every two weeks, (next one 22/11/02 so as not to be writing hundreds of e-mails a week)

We are working to get the Centre open as quick as safety will permit and the site has an expected opening date of January / February 2003 once initial building works are finished.

All details regarding costs, opening hours, etc. etc. will be announced as the information is finalized.

Best regards"

So looks like some late winter/early spring diving for here then!! Agree with Ben, perhaps we could mix a day here with a day off a boat off the coast somewhere doing a wreck??

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Its just by Chepstow and I got an e-mail replay asking for start date etc and it said "very very soon - will let you know in the next wek"

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Saw quite a large ad for the NDC in Diver this month.  Said something along the lines of "see this space next month".

I've worked out that something may happen in December then.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Speaking to Dales last night, this new site is gonna be run by some of his oppos and will be a TDI training facility! Happy Days.

Might be a bit further away than Dotty, but with a Pot, surface and medical cover on hand/site, a hotel and bar....we just might be taking a butcher's at this gaff sooner rather than later.

Recce team??

Dales
Bren
Tim
Davey
???

Come on, let's hear ya!!!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Coool - Im in for sure.

Hey Bren, what d'ya think are the chances of being able to get in a sly dive or two before this place opens to the public?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Good to very good!! Let's play.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Can I come Dad!!

·