YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Here we go guys, just come across this from reading about its existence on the Pennine Divers website. Here's a selection of URLs for you perusal:

http://www.ukdiving.co.uk/ukdiving/inland/wales/fron.htm

http://www.subaqua.co.uk/dive-sites/inland/fron.shtml

And this last one has a shed-load of other offerings that we really should try out in the not too distant future!!!!

http://www.990mag.com/dwinsites.htm

And this next one's just chocka with UK inland dive options! Get in amongst it!!!!!

http://www.subaqua.co.uk/dive-sites/inland/

Peruse and choose people. Plenty to go for, let's get some trips booked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

Bren I did try one quarry in wales near to Dotty years ago. Called Fron .Scary bloody place all slate circles laid out in a concentric pattern and "offering" type crap in all the trees and bushes. You could hear the banjo's playing....well weird. There are 3 pits
- a longish slit type pit with cars stacked on top of each other 10 mtrs
-a larger circular affair with shallow water for the majority of its area then a building in the middle
-small corrie type pit about 20 max miserable viz and dead animals in it, well I think they were animals. A small tunnel from the slate circle opened onto the cliff surronding this pit so it gots us thinking.
Every one who went that day had something go wrong or was injured one guy had his face gashed open and required 63 stitches, this was on a road sign. It was impressive when he surfaced with 2 smiles!!
Absolute pig to access site I had a Nissan Patrol then and it sruggled. Strangely enough I have never been back. Good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

dived fron quarry twice and im not sure where mitch went was the same quarry

fron quarry is not a bad dive (doti is better)
access is a bit of a bitch, it needs to be dry as you have to scramble down a rocky path, it has a max depth of aprox 38m, visability is verry good, but you do get algy blooms in summer which makes this a dark dive,
its only a small quarry aprox 250m * 200m and is a bowl shape, the 38m area is only small (simalar to hodge close)
not much in apart from rock and a few cars
all in all not to bad a dive

another quarry in the area is brin hall, this has a max depth of about 42m and is verry simalar to fron

doti is far superior to these quarries, and though there is bad publicity at the moment, it is still a safer quarry than the above 2, whitch you are still trespassing if you dive

·
Registered
79 Posts
Imported post

Ref Bryn Hall Quarry near to Fron in North Wales.

Please may I offer some advice regarding this particular quarry.

It is a relatively deep quarry (over 30 mtrs) with a sedimentary bottom which is itself several feet or mtrs deep. It is not a nice place to dive and I can confirm that a death has occurred in this particular quarry some years ago now. In fact the diver who lost his life was Andy Marshal of Merseyside Branch and despite repeated efforts at the time, his body was never recovered because of the danger associated with searching the sedimentary layer at the bottom of the quarry.

Should you visit this quarry,you will find a plaque near to the edge of the quarry comemorating Andy's death. As a measure of respect for Andy and of course because of the conditions, Merseyside members choose not to dive in Bryn Hall Quarry.

Regards

Geoff Oldfield
Merseyside Branch 5

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

went and had a look at brin hall a couple of years ago, but never dived it, was told it was 43m by a local skipper

saw the plack for the lost diver, this and access looking a bit dogey we went to vivian instead

probabley a good move by your accounts, that sediment layer sounds a nightmare as you get verry little light in these quarrys at depth anyway

thx fot the advice

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys,

Summer is coming! We should be getting out to sea, not messing around in quarries - roll on the long, hot Summer.

Iain

(the eternal optimist)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bryn Hall, worth it?

Hello all,

I was alerted to this thread by a friend and club mate and since I dived the site extensively last week, I thought I would add to the discussion.

We dived the site for the simple reason it was different and the sea was completely blown out on the day we had available (we could see the white caps even in the Menni Straights from the quarry edge).

Having read the all the threads I could on the subject, we went prepared. Mainly prepared to skip it and go elsewhere if we were at all unsure.

Having spent thirty minutes assessing access, we opted to rope kit down to a small grassy platform level with the waters edge, a perfect dive platform and beautiful place for a picnic I might add.

As we had surface support, in water diving support, working phones, an evacuation plan, O2 and first aid set + a paramedic! We deemed that our risk assessment of the site was adequate to ensure safety even in worst case scenarios.This may seem overkill but to be honest, we have 80% of this in place every time we dive and we knew a Tec dive of some nature was on the cards.

There were two other divers there on the day, who brought none of the affore mentioned and this approach I would definitely not recommend for this site; evacuation would have been impossible.

Anyway myself and my dive partner had extensively gas planned for 45m max and agreed to call it at the first sign of hazard. We were both using scooters to enable us to cover as much ground as possible.

The dive was surprisingly quite boring after all the things we had read; pretty poor and patchy visibility, a lot of algi growth from the decaying foliage and quarry dust, strong thermoclines from 13 at the surface down to 5 on the bottom, which seemed to be a maximum of 39m. There are some interesting remains of workings but not very extensive.

We did 2.5 laps of the quarry at varying depths. We saw no sign of anything hazardous but then again, we didn’t go in the silt.

To conclude, I would suggest the site holds little interest, certainly less than others which offer considerably more to see and are much easier access.

In my opinion, the serious risks involved with this site are purely that of access. A robust risk assessment is a must.

It is not a site that offer anything unique for all the hassle and I would not recommend diving there unless you are very confident in buoyancy skills and appropriate fining techniques for avoiding silt disturbance.

As for respect for the dead which is a highly personal issue and must have been a very traumatic experience at the time. Whilst I strongly respect the right of those that to choose not to dive there, I do not share those sentiments as this particular death was some 30 years ago and of no personal connection to me, indeed this is the case for 80% of my club.

I consider this a very personal decision and one we must all make for ourselves. I would liken it to diving on a restricted war wreck. You must decide if, given the opportunity whether you would choose to dive the wreck because it holds no personal connection for you, I suspect in this case, most of us would….but I would also respect the stance of those that choose not to.

Cheers

Chris B

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with everything you have said chris, todays divers are completly different to those of 30 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts