YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Paul Gallacher, skipper of the the popular Tobermory based boat charter, Silver Swift reports the discovery of a wreck 2.5 miles off Ardnamurchan lighthouse in the Sound of Mull. The wreck is sitting on a mound in 57mtrs(52mtrs to the deck) and came to light when Paul was dredging for Scallops and his nets were snagged.
  He was curious about the incident and said to fellow West coast skipper George Mair of the Gemini Storm that he might wish to investigate it with a group of technical divers that were diving from his boat. The search found a relatively intact wreck, and also a vital clue to its identity-the maker's plate on the front of the wheelhouse revealed that it had been built in Preston in 1906.
  Some detective work by Paul revealed that the wreck was that of the Annie Melling, a small steam trawler, which was lost on November 11th 1922 after a collision with another vessel.
 There is no record of a board of trade enquiry as the crew of the Annie Melling were taken on board by the other boat involved in the collisin.
(Scottish Diver July/August 2003

Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Did anyone ever bother looking into this input by Peter, late of this parish?

Anyone get to dive her? Got any feedback?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Have to thank Wrecksmasher for this info:

"This story sounds very like the discovery of the MY Thalia off Lismore - nets snagged; Gemini Storm sent tech divers down and they find a small intact wreck in 52m.

While I have heard nothing of the Ardnamurchan wreck, the Thalia does exist and is dived by Gemini Storm and others now and again."

Thanks for that :)

·
more posts than dives? book a boat asap
1,079 Posts
i was one of those divers - what a bag of shite, it sits up to the wheel house in mud.................

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
DecoWarrior said:
i was one of those divers - what a bag of shite, it sits up to the wheel house in mud.................
Your not mixing things up with the Madam Alice, same thing silted right up same depth, It is listed with the Hydrographic Dept as found by our BSAC club, Kirklees Sub Aqua.

We found Madam Alice about 15 years ago, and sold the position to Commander Pugh for all the wreck positions on our local Bridlington chart. When we found it there was very little silting and most of the ship was uncovered, it was intact with portholes still in place, but no bell .!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts