YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a friend going to NYC in a few weeks who has agreed to pick me up an S95 and housing :)

Last time I bought from BH photo Video so am tempted to use them again, but I notice there isn't much difference in the price of the camera itself, although the housing is about half the price.
The price of the camera (about £30 cheaper before duty and VAT) probably means it's not worth buying from there due to warranty etc.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other good camera shops in NYC that he could get the camera from for me.

Thanks

Sarah

·
bored
2,308 Posts
Just keep out of the tourist shops.
May be some tempting prices, but some obvious(and less so) scams.

I bought an EOS450 from a shop near brooklyn bridge, when I say shop I mean a whole block with individual shops dedicated to different areas; photographic, audio/hi-fi. If you stand by the subway exit at Brooklyn Bridge, you have the Bridge to your left, official building behind you and a park on the right. Walk to the end of the park and the shop is the block opposite. They were pretty good, even refunding the camera when it failed the following day!

BH has to be seen to be believed.

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
Ahhh, my favourite camera store. Just today I ordered a camera from there for a friend of mine so they are now some US$550 richer. I, too, have noticed that their camera prices are creeping up but I still use them for a "street price" estimate. I like them mainly because B&H are very generous in their returns policy (cutting a long story short, it played out here, they offered a full return on a camera which was incompatible with my Mac). They did so as close to immediately as makes no never mind, no persuasion (on my part) required at all.

During my research on this camera now winging its way across the US I lucked on a local on-line store (yet to try them out) whose prices, admittedly on a much more limited stock line - whose isn't, are on a par with B&H. Right now I'm locked into the "loyalty" thing - do I change or not?

When I bought my last dSLR (plus several lenses, bag etc) from B&H I, too, worried about the "grey import" warranty thing, decided it was not a problem and so it proved. No, it was not an issue because, quite simply, I had no need to make a claim but I think that any self respecting manufacturer today (unless, perhaps, that manufacturer is called Mr Yum or Mr Cha or similar) would balk at a so-called grey import. No doubt there are many who can tell me, chapter and verse, how wrong I am.

Edit/: to the OP. You could also try Adorama (as a friend of mine says "they're a hoot"). I doubt though that the price will be significantly different.

Edit2/: I've just discovered that the "Australian", "local" store is actually Hong Kong based with support in Oz from a local repair facility. Nevertheless they are consistently cheaper than B&H and their price for a Super-Zoom (150-500mm) that I am currently interested in is $Au855 whereas B&H's price, converted as I speak is $Au1,000 (plus tax at 10% since it's over the $Au1K threshold). Now that's better than a poke in the eye with a bent stick, otherwise put, I might be forced to become disloyal.

Reactions: sarahog

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems it might be wise to just stick with them. Last time when I bought my Canon Ixus and housing from them about 2-3 years ago, they were so good. I emailed them and got them to reserve everything I wanted, and mum just had to go in and pick it up. Seeing as someone will be going on my behalf again I think I'll do the same again. Also, while the price of the camera isn't that much cheaper than here, it doesn't seem to be any more expensive than other US retailers. I also enquired with Yuzo at one point and he couldn't get the camera much cheaper either.
So I think I'll definitely get the housing from them - it's £100 cheaper, then depending on the exchange rate at the time I might get the camera there as well.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sarah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts