YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just a quickie - we dropped into our local dive shop at Goat Island, North Island NZ, and during the conversation someone asked what UK divers thought of NZ as a dive location and what needs to be on offer to make it attractive enough for divers to come here. I have to admit I found it very difficult to answer even though we have been living here for three months - so your comments and suggestions would be much appreciated.
DavidW

-Bye-

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Bottom line, cost I suspect plus whats to see, can we have direct flights and a decent baggage allowance too. I for one would bring my own gear, but I'd want to rent cylinders including a pony please as a minimum.
Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hmmmm... cost is a factor but from my perspective if I was going half-way round the world I'd want an extended visit, say about a month, so amount of vacation time is/would be a factor too.

My sister used to live there in the early 70s, if she was still there I reckon I'd have emigrated too, 3.5 million people in an area the size of the UK (pop. ~66 million), need I say more  

sigh...
Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I'd love to come if I could afford to. I did a 10-day trip to Australia just to dive (3 days on a GBR liveaboard and 7 days in the Coral Sea, didn't even get to see a kangaroo) some years ago, so it's not the time aspect that's the problem, although I'd love to stay for a few weeks and travel around the country. Air fares have risen so much the last couple of years that I for one choose nearer destinations (e.g. the Red Sea) these days. A pity, 'cos I know you've got some great diving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Dear All,

Many thanks for the candid replies - even though you can get air fares for less than £700 and if travelling via the US you can take two suitcases each weighing 32Kg (64Kg in total per person) - I personaly feel that its too far to travel (ie takes too long) for the average person’s 2-week holiday, too expensive to get here in proportion to what divers are being offered here, and can’t compete with the red sea by any standards.  Thankfully we are here and if you ever get downhere look us up.

All the best

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'm in NZ at the moment, fabulous diving. Heading down to the South Island in a few days. Must go, bloody money is about to run out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts