YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hello to all

I am going to New Zealand at Easter for 3 weeks and would like to do some diving out there (should be BSAC Sports Diver qualified by then)

A friend of mine has done Rainbow Warrior and highly recommended it. Also I attended a talk at the NEC diving show before Christmas which spoke of a sunken Russian ferry that looked pretty good. Although I have heard there aren't many commercial trips out to this ferry.

If anyone is in the know, could you possibly recommend any "musts" for diving in NZ and/or good companies running trips.

Thank you very much in advance!

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

To call the Mikhail Lermontov a ferry is a bit of an understatement  - all 10,000 tonnes of cruise liner

This may give you a bit of a heads up of diving in NZ

http://www.divenewzealand.com/

We are heading out in late Feb (for a friend's wedding) and are looking to get a day or so in under the water so will let you know how we get on.

Everyone says the Poor Knights is the place to go and every report I have read said that Jacques Cousteau said the Poor Knights was in his Top 10 sites in the world. Now I am not sure whether this was said after a dive or after his 3rd bottle of wine in a bar  

Simon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Imported post

I dived Poor Knights and it was the best diving i have ever done anywhere in the world, second to none. Amazing vis, superb marine life, and stunning underwater topography.

You dive Poor Knights from Tutukata, which is about 1/2 an hour's drive from Whangeri, in the north isalnd (about 2 hours drive north east of Auckland.)

I used an operator called "Dive Tutukata," they were great. Very proffessional, they buddied you up with someone of similar experience (unless you wanted to be guided,) and let you get on with it, no annoying Red Sea dive guides "rapping" ont heir tanks all the time. Dive Tutukata also do trips to the HMNZ Waikato, and HMNZ Tui, two NZ navy ships sunk recently off Tutukata, specifically for diving. They are great wrecks, and allow safe penetration.

Dive Tutukata have a web address which will be easy to search for, they also advertise in Diver Magazine.

Hope this is of some use.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Gunna Do, of these boards, might be able to help you with more info', although I believe he lives on South Island. Click "Members" at the top of the page then scoll until you find him and send him an e-mail message.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Kind off found my way here John,
Where to start the  Mikhail Lermontov is a fantastic dive, well worth every penny, as I understand it the Picton Dive shop arranges charters etc for it ( However we took our own boat up there and dove it).
If you post me where abouts your going to be, then Ill organise a bit off info for you..
And yes I am located in the South island of NZ, ( If your diving here dont forget your thermals)I was up in the North Island of NZ on the Corramandel pennisula for a bit of warm water diving and vis diving over christmas.
And all i can say is fantastic, the water temp was 20 degrees, we dove the Mercurary islands ( Hang on Ill post a pic or 2)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Around the backside of the Island, Volcanic spires which drop from depths of 10 - 40 mtrs, Awesome cray country

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

This goes with the cray country one, A packhorse cray and a 30 pound Red Snapper.( Thats my dive bud Allen with the cray)
As the fishing is so good over here I wouldnt limit yourself just to diving

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

we also took a dive charter to the Alderman Islands,
Run by someone ( LMAO, but if you end up there ill get the name for it). Anyway it was run by Paddi dedicated dive shop who some Dive instructers I met recommended we check out these islands, Just for sheer beauty and great vis and huge amounts of marine life also said it was on par with the knights.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ Dec. 29 2003,15:52)]To call the Mikhail Lermontov a ferry is a bit of an understatement  - all 10,000 tonnes of cruise liner
 I stand corrected!

Thanks Steve and others for your recommendations and photos - great stuff. I have emailed you Steve with further questions (hope that's OK!!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts