YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia ora, Hello from New Zealand.We believe we have one of the best wrecks in the world. The "Lermy" hit rocks and went down on 16th Feb 1986. What we have now is a Luxury Cruise Liner lying in 37m of water which makes the wreck extremely accessible. We have had divers from the UK and all over Europe who think it is up there with the best of them. If anyone is out this way it is a must dive! Personally I have been diving the wreck for over 20 years and its getting better with age.Contact Kevin at [email protected] for info on trips etc.

·
115 Posts
Hi,

I dived this wreck a year or so ago, and I must say I found it amazing. Having only done 25 or so dives (I think), I found it quite challenging, with the cold and relatively poor visibility, but it was an incredible experience, which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone.

Really enjoyable!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agreed, this is a great wreck. There's suitable diving for everyone. Although the cans of beer and bottles of whisky have long since been removed in the interest of safety ;)

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I was there in March and didn't dive it because air was the only gas available. Very disapointed :(
What is the problem with that? I can see the benefits of Nitrox certainly but it's not the only game in town, divers managed quite happily on 21% for 30 or 40 yrs before the advent of the enriched stuff. Very few people dive with it here, although it is available at dive centres and most shops and it hassn't stopped any of us yet. Why does or should non-availability of nitrox wipe out the dive?

If I had the chance to dive the Lermontov, I'd be quite happy to put up with any minor inconvenience.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm taking it you have missed the other threads on YD about Simon getting his PFO fixed recently. His trip was prior to the fix so obviously diving nitrox was sensible particularly given the scarity of chambers in NZ.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I'm taking it you have missed the other threads on YD about Simon getting his PFO fixed recently. His trip was prior to the fix so obviously diving nitrox was sensible particularly given the scarity of chambers in NZ.

Ah right. Fair enough. My apologies Simon. Rant withdrawn! :embarassed:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts