YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi ppl, can any1 explain to me how i go about starting to dive, im very interested in wreck diving etc but dont have a clue which course to take at the local diving school, I would also like to dive abroad without any hassle - Many thanks

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Ok - assuming you have NEVER dived before, in the UK, your two main choices are BSAC or PADI. PADI is a professional business and therefore you pay for any training you do. The training is divided into different levels and you advance up the ladder, so to speak, as your time / wallet dictates.

BSAC operates on a more club level (you pay annual subscriptions and most of the training is free - not BSAC so I don't know if this is absolutely true)

What is your experience Jamie? - wreck penetration is generally a very advanced skill, if done properly.

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Jamie,

I'm in Manchester too - where are you based? If you'd like to chat about your options and how to get started, please give me a ring on TEL: 07764 - 174647 and we'll work something out for you. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

hello jamie,
                     i'm manchester based, and belong to tameside sub aqua club (dukinfield) www.tameside-sac.fsnet.co.uk
its only a very small club with divers of all experience from basic club diver to national instructor, cost to join the bsac and the club with all training books and pack costs about £120.00
there are no polotics and the speed in which they teach you, has in my experience been superb. i have now been diving for 6 months and i'm at sports diver level, soon to start dive leader training.
if you are interested, all information needed is on the web address above.
all the best in your training, whatever training agency you decide to use. they are all v.good

scottie !!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Hi Jamie and welcome to the diverse (no pun intended) worls of scuba. It might sound confusing at first (I remember it seemed that way when I started this malarkey) but it's relatively straight forward really.

One thing I'm sure you'll hear often on these boards is that it's not the agency which is the determinant of training quality, it's the individual instructor(s), so be aware that there is a long history of "debate" re the bsac/padi issue, most of which you can happily ignore as specious arguments.

I'm BSAC trained so here's the SP on that method:
With a BSAC club you would expect to pay BSAC membership fees which are about £37 per annum (or £15 if you're in a Uni club) then the fees for the actual club/branch which are highly variable , anywhere from £20 to £120 depending on the club. You may be able to hire/borrow equipment from yout club for fairly nominal fees (IME). Training through Ocean diver (entry level) then Sport Diver will be free.

Later, you can do additional SDCs (Skill Development Courses) which are run for a nominal registration fees (eg £10-£12 for an Oxygen Administration Course) plus any cost's of consumables (eg on Nitrox courses, but that's for later after you've done basic training).

BSAC, like most other agencies, require a self-declaration medical form to be completed, let me know if you want more info on that.

The take home message is that PADI  training will get you into the water quicker as their entry level qualification is quick to do, but it will, AFAIK, cost at least £200 maybe more plus kit hire costs (I'm sure one of our PADI Instructors will provide more info in this thread).  

BSAC entry level training will take longer as there are more course components and the Instructors do it in their own time, but it will cost you less.

Whichever way you decide to go remember that getting a particular qualification only means you were at that standard on that day, you have to practice the skills you were taught regularly till you can do them without thinking about them, I've seen folk with entry level qualifications who are more capable divers than folk with far more advanced quals , simply because of their approach

Chee-az
Steve

PS in all fairness there are other agencies (excluding the non-entry level type) with  less prominent profiles than the above two but which shouldn't be ignored: Scot-SAC; SDI, SSI and SAA to name but a few.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Hi M8

My route into diving was lots of snorkling as a kid, followed by a fair amount of warm clear water diving on holiday and then (after about70 dives) I finaly did my PADI open water course and Advanced Open water course. After this I started diving in the UK. So I had the basics sussed and it was a case of lurning the UK bit and WOW was there a lot to lurn.

PADI are very profesional the course is quite good, but you pay your mony finish the course and thats it. Its then up to you to find dive buddies and a dive club that caters for new divers. I found this bit quite hard and we were just lucky to have one very experianced but young and broke diver who carried us through the early lurning curve in exchange for free drinks some food and lifts to and from dive sites.

If it wasent for him we would have been in trouble because our two local clubs fell into the drink but dont dive catagory and dive but mainly 50m trimix with a few 30m for the poofs.

Now I havent EVER done a BSAC course or been to a BSAC club but from what I have read of their system, I think If I was starting from scratch I would try the BSAC aproach. The emphasis seems to be on slow progresion in UK conditions and this apeals to me a lot. I often check out Catabury Divers BSAC web site and they do a lot of progresive dives and a lot of training and experiance dives.

I obviously cant vouch for other branches of BSAC but this one look's like a very active club.

Good luck

Mark Chase

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

hi guys,

many thanks for the replies, only just read them as my adsl is down at the min (56k is a bind), the info you have all given me has been very helpful indeed many thanks
- when ive recovered from my car accident im sure i will be seeing some of you when take the plunge and do the course, i was thinking of the diving center @ debdale park Gorton but open to better suggestions

Done alot of snorkling and surface level diving at america(with all the equipment) so definatly want to do professional diving.

silly question but how the #### do u cope with the freezing water over here? lol many thanks again ppl

for the person that asked i come from Droylsden

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Cold water - pah! We're 'ard. Actually we put loads of stuff on under our dry-suits and pump 'em full of air then strap loads of lead on so we can descend. Good stuff hey!
Failing that we talk about it and wait till the Summer comes and we can wear wet-suits for all of 2 weeks in late Sept on the South coast.
Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Oh come on Matt,  tell the truth..  We are so hard we just make do with 3mm shorties, 60 minutes - 30 metres - 4c in a quarry.  Now that's hard....

Big nancies...

Daz,

P.S  Dunc thanks for the tip on the heated undersuit,  I have hooked it up this morning and it all looks very promising.  Now time to dig out my 3mm shortie... ;)

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Jamie

Lots of quality advice there, i don't think you could come to a better site for advice. The only point i would raise is that i have dived for the last eight years in a semi dry in the UK from April to October (salt water only) and its not a problem, and i've never been cold. I only bought my first dry suit last Jan.

And i'm a Southern Softie apparently! Then again its 5Deg hotter down here than up your end.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Paul,

You are a man with concrete 'nads- diving in a semi-dry (south or no south!) during the months of.

You have BALLS squire!!.

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 12:13 pm on Feb. 23, 2003)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Imported post

Jamie

Give it up chap while there is still time.  If not and you are determined to press ahead, then find a good local dive shop and set up a direct debit with them. Then when you go into the shop, you just get them to add it to your account and you treat it like you might any other utility bill.

HTH.  If you don't understand now, you will soon.

PMT

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

Jessssss Pete, don't put the lad off yet..

Mind you good advice here for you Jamie,

Andy.

The southern NON shandy drinking 'ard nuts... Ain't we Mr Oliver & Chase

·
Registered
10 Posts
Imported post

Jamie

I was kidding BTW. Andy, breathe in and out and relax.....

PMT

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to our site!  Nice to have you, be safe, and dive safely.  

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

You Confusing people - mind you it doesnt take much :p - just ordered Scuba-World Magazine, any1 get it? is it ok for noobs like me !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts