YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've done 35 dives about half in the UK and am a BSAC sports diver. My big problem in getting diving done in the UK are the inflexibility of my BSAC club (I won't be rejoining now I have kit), and the need to charter boats months in advance and find lots of other people to fill them. I have a buddy and we've dived inland and done shore diving together but I've only done about 4 UK boat dives. I hope this website will give me a way of getting on trips and meeting enough divers to be able to fill a boat. Hope to meet some of you soon and with that in mind I have a question. Will it be too cold for a semi-dry at stoney cove this time of the year? Thanks in advance. Iestyn.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to the site! There is bound to be someone on the boards who can help you out re: boat dives cos we hail from pretty much everywhere.  
Without getting into national stereotypes or anything, does your name signify Welsh Wales?  If so, YD's got a top tame skip up in Anglesey.  If you're from further South, there's a good crowd in Bristol.
As regards a semi at Stoney this time of year.... Yes if it's a good thick one, but sooner you than me

Have a look through some of the posts on keeping warm, plenty of good info out there from other masochists.  
Inflexible BSAC clubs have been a frequent topic of conversation, but bear in mind that other much more flexible clubs also exist - BSAC, SAA and PADI.  Have a look further afield, talk to the DOs, get a feel for the people - there's bound to be some out there that you'll get on with better.  IMHO being in some sort of club is going to give you more opportunities to go out and get wet than not being in one.  Course if that option fails...... there's always YD.  This is where I get me balls ripped off.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

welcome aboard! I think you wont have any problems filling a boat if you advertise the gig on here. And there s lot s of great folks on here to come along.
Jules

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi and welcome. What area are you in?

We do lots of diving out of Dover if you are in the Sunney South East, and as others have said there are lots of other contacts around the country/world on this forum.

As for inflexibility, well there are plenty of people who fall into that, but there are also lots who bring that on.

I am a branch DO and i was accused of being inflexible 'cos i would not wait half an hour for 1 member to arrive at the boat. But then why should the other 7 miss slack water 'cos he was late, as usual?

Not having a dig just pointing out that there are usually 2 sides to most problems / issues.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Hi, and welcome.

There are plenty of charter boats asround, ie you would need to hire the whole boat and put 10/12 people on it yourself.

BUT there are also loadfs of boats that you can book just yourself or you and a buddy onto. Often you can book these spaces a few days in advance.

Where are you based?

Good Luck
Juz

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am a branch DO and i was accused of being inflexible 'cos i would not wait half an hour for 1 member to arrive at the boat. But then why should the other 7 miss slack water 'cos he was late, as usual?
A good D/O like yourself mate , should have waited and turned the wreck dive into a training dive , in Landgdon bay
       ONLY JOKING...

Hi Iestyn.

Your find most clubs are turning into just training and social clubs , and a lot of divers are asking me , which clubs do GO diving , and i always tell them CANTERBURY now, as even my own CLUB , haven't made any dates to dive yet , this year.

As an ex D/O myself , if i plan a dive with using any boat , i also GIVE a leave time, because BOATS & TIDES wait for no man ( or women ) . I do hate people that turn up late and i will leave without them , Always plan to get to a boat in good time.

Anyway , welcome to YD, i'm sure ya have lots of fun , like we all do .

Andy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

I'm a student so my time is split between South Wales and Oxford meaning most of the South Coast is accessible for me. I'd be really interested on the info on boats that you can book on not months in advance with only a couple of divers if someone could recommend a few. On the club front I'm sure there are good clubs and I will be moving to London next year and hope to find one there. When I said mine was inflexible its not that I run late but that virtually all organised diving states a requirement of 50+ dives which doesn't help when you want to build experience. Thanks for all your replies. iestyn

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Iestyn

Well that situation is the total opposite to what BSAC is about, what club? I'm tempted to give them a hard time.

Try Portland, its an easy trek from Oxford, do a search for Dive Dorset, they have a charter boat schedule that you can book onto solo or as a pair.

See your point there, they need to review their diving then. I take beginers in the channel all the time 'cos thats the only way you are going to progress. But then again we (Canterbury Divers) have been doing that for yonks.

A few on here have done that with us as well, and they are still alive to complain about the experience.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Iestyn,

Firstly, welcome to YD, which you have probably bubbled covers all of the UK (and abroad) and not just Yorkshire!

Vis-a-vis your 'club situation', you can take a view on this but have to be comfortable with how you deploy within the BSAC Club structure - there are, as has been stated above, plenty of decent, active and flexible BSAC clubs (and I'm a former PADI and current TDI diver).

If you are happy to work on your own initiative and six the usual "I'll only dive on my DO's nod and when he/she stipulates that it's OK to do so or where they dictate the conditions..." type thinking, then you can dive anywhere on any boat, assuming the buddy/experience arrangements, conditions, depths, gas/air mix etc. suit your safe diving capabilities and 'comfort level'. That's your call.

With the above in mind, and bearing in mind we've got nigh-on 1,500 members from all over Creation, if you're up for meeting new buddies and get on a dive, check-out the Planned Trips section here and the Need a Buddy forum: both can offer you and your oppo the chance to hook-up with a raft of dives and buddies all over the UK for safe and friendly diving. Failing that, suggest a dive yourself and wait for YD'ers to sign-up and join you on the boat. Dive boat-wise: You make the play, they help with pay!!

You might have picked-up that we're pretty Agency/School agnostic here; that means that we accept all divers regardless of standard, capability or experience (as long as they have committment to safe diving) and try and cater for their diving requirements in a safe manner. We'll help where can mate, so just ask!

Take care and please see the Stoney Cove mass YD gathering in Planned Trips on the 21st of Feb. Please let us know if you'd like to come along and we'll buddy you with someone of experience and who can help you should you need it.

Take care, dive safe and hope to see you and your buddy on a wet soon!

Cheers,

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Iestyn,

I like you, was a little dissapointed with the apparent lack of organised dives for us with limited experience in my club. I actually hastled a few of the DL intructors and they organised dives for us at a level that we could do. Not satisfied with the number of dives I was getting on I also started diving with YD. I've been to Angelsesy and Capernwray, on trips as well as a few dives with YDivers who happened to be nearby or live close. I'm down for quite a few future trips now, one which I've organised myself (with the kind help and advice from YD members of course).
I'm not sure why anyone would put a limit on the number of dives as appossed to the level of diving your doing, OD, SD, DL etc.. Could it be anything perhaps to do with the dives you were asking about going on? I have in the past asked to be part of dives which looking back I consider, would not be appropriate for my level of experience. Could I ask how long you've been diving with your present club? Perhaps they just don't know or trust your level of experience until they've seen you dive yet, if you qualified with a school of other BSAC club?

I started at the beginning of last year and by the time we'd got our Ocean Diver it was May and the trips had all be sorted out and filled by then. This meant we could not get on any dives we asked about when a place became available because it was beyond our level. We're quite lucky in that the club I'm in has a membership of around 70, so there are a few divers keen to help us newbies get on.

Unless your not getting on with certain members of your club, or there is a much better one nearby, then try sticking with it until you've got some experience from this place. As has been said a hundred times before on a lot of threads, this place is very good for hooking up with like minded divers who are only too happy to dive with you under their care. I take it you got your qualifications from the club your with and not some school/Uni club? If this is the case then your not doing too bad as far as number of dives verses qualification level. I've been in my club for 14 months now and will only be Sports Diver qualified by the end of April begining of May when we've completed our open water section of the training. Some clubs seem to organise training faster than others and some clubs seem to have complicated and off putting politics. Don't be put off by know all self satisfying twats, get in there and make the change you want from with-in. We did as now I'm equipment officer and my fiancee is the club sec.

Good luck in whatever you chose to do and perhaps we'll see you at Stoney Cove on the 21st Feb.

Dave C

BSAC OD (nearly SD with 50 dives)

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

Clubs are odd things. There are good ones and bad ones. Fortunately My club is a good one and plenty of fun. They do tend to err on the side of caution regarding the weather, as some of you know,
but there's plenty of diving and it's good fun.

Having said that, that doesn't stop me doing some dives with my YD mates too. As Dave says, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Anyway, welcome to the club!

Laters,
   Janos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts