YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

I really hope that this turns out to be a false rumour,  I met the guy and he was a really easy going down to earth character.

What a tragedy if it transpires to be true,  he was a real family man and I hate to think what this will do to them.

Daz

3,947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Mar. 17 2004,16:02)]But 45m!  This is a ridiculous depth for somebody with John's background.  A most salutory lesson that no depth is too shallow too cop it regardless of your quals / experience.  And I don't meant that to be in any way dis-respectful.

Very sad for John and his family.
Indeed Tim and this was a guy who was meticulous in his planning and safety.

Truly a sad day in our sport.

The man was truly a legend and a damn nice guy to have met.

This was a story of his own personal mount everest dive and I cannot think of a more fitting tribute.

300m Dive

Sincere condolences to his friends and family.  May he rest in peace.

Daz

3,947 Posts
Imported post

The following is an email I received from a very dear friend of Johns.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Hello Darren

I am very sad to say that we have lost a dear friend and the world has lost a great man.  Below is a copy of an email that was very hard to write yesterday; feel free to forward it to anyone that knew him

Andy

Dear all

I hope you'll forgive this very impersonal way of making a very sad announcement and my apologies to those that knew John well that we have not spoken to personally

It is with great sadness that we have to inform you that John is missing and presumed dead after a 'commercial' dive in Korea on Monday (March 15).

The exact cause of the accident or details of what happened on the dive are not available yet and all those that knew him would appreciate if speculation on this could be avoided.  When Ron has had a chance to gather his thoughts we will pass along details of the dive along with any other information as we get it.  

Gaby has asked that we let all his friends around the world know of this tragic loss; she is finding that talking is helping so anyone that knew John personally and would like to pass on their condolences please get in touch for Gaby's number.

We mourn the loss of a great friend, colleague and inspiration to those who explored the oceans.  Our thoughts are with Gaby, his children and his dive partner Ron Loos.

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.