YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just done my first night shift of 4 this week, which means I've been up since 8.00 am yesterday. Just getting my head down for some much needed sleep and the hammering and drilling starts. Yes, today is the day my next door neighbours decide to start having all their windows replaced!

They're doing the front and back at the same time so I can't even try going to the spare bedroom to escape the noise. Apparently they are going to be here for at least 2 days!

They know we both work shifts - you would have thought they could have the courtesy to check what we were doing before scheduling the work for today.

:angry:

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Go to a friends/Parents house and sleep there. No point in trying to do anything about it..

Used to work nights and had to sleep through 3 months of house improvements to a neighbours house - so now exactly what you are going through.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Just done my first night shift of 4 this week, which means I've been up since 8.00 am yesterday. Just getting my head down for some much needed sleep and the hammering and drilling starts. Yes, today is the day my next door neighbours decide to start having all their windows replaced!

They're doing the front and back at the same time so I can't even try going to the spare bedroom to escape the noise. Apparently they are going to be here for at least 2 days!

They know we both work shifts - you would have thought they could have the courtesy to check what we were doing before scheduling the work for today.

:angry:

We have had people do this to me. My lads turn up at 8am and start work and the shift worker from next door goes ballistic. We had the police come around once and try to confiscate our tools. Fortunately I was in site and told the copper to piss off. Turns out the shift worker was an ambulance driver so there was a bit of the old palls act going on. I knew the law but the lads on site would have sat down and started drinking tea if i hadn't been there. The knock on effect of this would have been disastrous.

It's a horrible situation for us as we don't want to upset people but to pull off a job once started costs a lot of money. There should be a tort like the party walls act which states that people getting noisy building works done should notify the neighbors in writing.

It would save a lot of grief.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've not kicked off with the builders. It's not their fault - they've just turned up to do a job and weren't to know. It's my neighbours I'm annoyed with. Going to my parents' isn't really an option as they are a two hour drive away and all my mates will already be in bed enjoying some sleep. Lucky sods!

I'm just going to have to work through it, grab a couple of hours sleep once they are done for the day and hope that's enough to keep me from letting off a round by accident tonight!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts