YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Been considering a EAN course for a while now but there seems to be quite a few options with regards to agency. Are they that much different I know some require dives and some not, but are the dives that important to have an instuctor there as long as your max depth avaliable does not come near you MOD of the mix.Is there much difference in actual course work any one agency offer more ,easier to progress to next level via same agency??.
I found an online course to do some pre reading and understand the general gist how does this relate to our UK courses?
Nitrox Course

Any views,advice even negative welcome.

Regards,

MAL..

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Hey Mal,

Speaking for myself, and I think others here will agree with me, the general conscensus is that it's not the Nitrox course that's important - it's very much the instructor !

Nitrox Courses can be very much-of-a-muchness, and cheap very rarely gets you 'good'; find a good instructor (or get one recommended - we can help here) and stick with them at all costs.

At YD, we've got everyone from TDI, PADI, BSAC to IANTD etc. Nitrox certified divers, and the one thing they do know is a bad course when they see it and good instructor when they've been trained by him/her.

Also ask yourself this - why am I going Nitrox?

Do you wanna do tech-nitrox? Or do you want the benefits of diving recreationally with enriched air? If you think along these lines, then we can help you get squared away mate.

It would be easy to simply recommend a course that I or one of the others have done, but that might not necessarily help you in the long run.

HTH.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the reply Bren,
I agree about the instuuctor issue but how does this relate too the nitrox course at the basic level from what i can make out(please correct if wrong ) it is a mainly theory based course with the maths of pp's being the main body.I suppose that led to my original question do the different agencies have much difference in the course work and objectives.What more could i expect from a good instructor as opposed answer questions and then here your card.

Regards,

MAL..

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Imported post

I did my basic nitrox with PADI - it was mostly theory combined with two dives (basic questions prior to dive relating to theoretical MODs etc). Did my advanced nitrox with TDI where it was a whole different kettle of fish - the intructor gave the briefing including maximum depth (which was not to be exceeded). Then he pulled loads of different stunts ('come and check this out', out of air etc) all designed to make you break your dive plan. Much more comprehensive with TDI in my opinion. PM me or Bren if you want details of a top TDI instructor in the Lake District!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,284 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Just to point out you can go streight into TDI Advanced Nitrox you dont have to do the basic course. I also felt advanced Nitrox was a good course but the basic course was just a ticket for gas all be it a £70.00 one. The exam took 20 mins there were no dives and I walked away able to get Nitrox to 40%.

Advanced was much more indepth but unfortunatly my instructor wasnt up to the job. However the dive schedual and training manual were very good IMHO.

Even if you dont intend to do enriched deco I would do the Advanced course if training is what your after. I paid about £160.00

Mark Chase

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,096 Posts
Imported post

Guv

I did the BSAC Combined Nitox Course. This is as it says on the tin the Basic and Advanced combined together so i got an Adv Nitrox card (Yes Bren BSAC do give cards out on some courses). This cost £90 and that included the 2 workbooks, BSAC Nitrox tables and the qual card and log book sticker.

The course was run by the Regional Coaching team, and was a mix of very good to average instructors. They (this team)will not run the basic couse as they feel giving a qualification purly on classroom training is unsuitable.

I would not have done it as 2 courses unless i absolutly had to. I found all the skills straightforward (emphasis on holding depth while deploying a DSMB mid water and changing and stowing Regs mid water) and the classroom stuff interesting but not overly taxing, and it was an enjoyable 2 days.

I use Nitrox for the added safety margins and energy factors, plus on Air i get very thirsty after about 35-40 min wheras on Nitrox i don't get this problem.

Plus it improves your overall diving knowledge enormously. I would find it difficult as an Instructor not to have that knowledge of Nitrox, as so many questions crop up at so many levels that refer to aspects of Nitrox diving.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Imported post

A pupil with reasonably good math skills can learn everything they need to know about Nitrox in about half an hour.

If you just want to be able to go diving with Nitrox, it makes very little difference whose course you do.

It's a pity BSAC doesn't teach EAD, since I did their course, but you can't win them all..

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello all,
First of all, on this list there are also CMAS Nitrox inst.  

I did basci and adv. TDI Nitrox and found the Adv. course a rip off personally as there isn't much difference between them.
For a Nitrox course if you learn the the Dalton's Diamond, that is
                                  PpO2
                               ---------- (means divide)
                            Fo2    I   P
                          (mix)    I   (depth pressure absolute)
                                     I

and EAD formula + NOAA exposure table, you know all!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks all for your views and past experiences with nitrox .
I have decided to do the basic with TDI and after i get comfortable with the maths and put more diving under my belt i shall again ask for you to recomend a good instr. for the advanced course but this might be a while yet.

Again many thanks,

MAL...

·
Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

Well in Mal,

Whislt there is a order to do them, there is no timetable to doing these courses correctly - 'Right, Not Rushed'.

Let us know how you get on and we'll help as and when you feel like taking your Advanced Nitrox.

Dive safe mate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.