YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like from the article below that we all need to get new regs and tanks or Valves if we want to use Nitrox after Aug 08??? I do hope I'm wrong!!! :embarassed:

The new European Norm EN 144-3:2003 introduced a new type of valve, similar to existing 232 bar or 300 bar DIN valves, however, with a metric M 26×2 fitting on both the cylinder and the regulator. These are to be used for breathing gas with oxygen content above that normally found in natural air in the Earth's atmosphere (i.e., 22% –100%). From August 2008, these shall be required for all diving equipment used with Nitrox or pure oxygen. The idea behind this new standard is to prevent a rich mixture being filled to a cylinder, which is not oxygen clean. However even with use of the new system there still remains nothing except human procedural care to ensure that a cylinder with a new valve remains oxygen-clean - which is exactly how the current system works.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
It looks like from the article below that we all need to get new regs and tanks or Valves if we want to use Nitrox after Aug 08??? I do hope I'm wrong!!! :embarassed:
Mien Gott where have you been for the last year?

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
So a guy from Bristol has a "stereotyped" go at a guy from Essex.

Oh the irony ..... if only I had the nerve to type the rest of what I was thinking ;)

BTW he is right though.... the Nitrox M26 stuff has been in the public domain for ages ... there was a thread recently on here about it and I think the general concensus was that we all hope it will go away but that's like hoping the tide won;t come in again :(

Mal

·
1,171 Posts
So a guy from Bristol has a "stereotyped" go at a guy from Essex.

Oh the irony ..... if only I had the nerve to type the rest of what I was thinking ;)

BTW he is right though.... the Nitrox M26 stuff has been in the public domain for ages ... there was a thread recently on here about it and I think the general concensus was that we all hope it will go away but that's like hoping the tide won;t come in again :(

Mal
Perhaps I should have admitted to living in Chelmsford for a decade.............

(but I managed to escape!):teeth:

and all I did was highlight where he was, which was what Nigel asked...........you all jumped to your own conclusions........................

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Tom's Alive !!!!

I think you are confusing that with Norfolk .... there are lots of surnames in our phonebook ;)

Mal
there may well be lots of names but most of them are the same. lots of different surnames woukld be better:)

Reactions: Garf

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts

The new European Norm EN 144-3:2003 introduced a new type of valve, similar to existing 232 bar or 300 bar DIN valves, however, with a metric M 26×2 fitting on both the cylinder and the regulator. These are to be used for breathing gas with oxygen content above that normally found in natural air in the Earth's atmosphere (i.e., 22% –100%). From August 2008, these shall be required for all diving equipment used with Nitrox or pure oxygen. The idea behind this new standard is to prevent a rich mixture being filled to a cylinder, which is not oxygen clean. However even with use of the new system there still remains nothing except human procedural care to ensure that a cylinder with a new valve remains oxygen-clean - which is exactly how the current system works.
Personally, I think it's all of load of Bollocks

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
As I understand it, the regs don't apply to trimix. So I'm assuming that if you have cylinders in nominal 'trimix' service you can still get a nitrox fill in them?

Or are we going to have to have multiple twinsets for that now? :(

I'm so going CCR.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.