YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK all you who dont have Nitrox tickets can sit down, er Lou, Caroline, Adam and Matt why are you sitting down?

Yippeee - Devil gas here we come.

The cards arrived this morning, just in time for the w/e - brill.

Matt

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

I got excitied over mine as well.

The only thing better than getting my Nitrox ticket, was getting my Advanced Nitrox ticket.

Nitrox = More time diving less
          Less time decompressing

Have fun with it!

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Cheers guys,
dont want to do the one upmanship bit BUT, twin sets do look apetising now all of a sudden except of course my son would want a set too, oh and two nitrox pooters.
Jeez what have I done?

Oh well I'll just have to look at is as diving safer than on air whilst on my 12L single  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well in Matt mate - now you can look Peter K in the eye and, err, well, err, look him in the eye!  

Cheers and enjoy.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Eh? Explain yourself young chap!!!!!

Peter
PS-Well done Matt(And I gather L, C, A + M) Use it, don't abuse it. I'm halfway, in the process, of beginning to think about it. Purely financial or it would have been done long ago.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Matt,

I meant look down on the lowly peasant who's yet to do his ticket!  

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Peter,
a mystery to me too, still Brens always been a bit cerebal I think the phrase is.
Now listen I know you reckon you're a jimmy but come on £90 for a basic TDi course, mind you there's very little to it that you probably dont know already. But no ticket no gas so catch 22. You dont even have to do an observed dive, although our guy did for Adam & me. The girls didnt bother.
Let me know if you want any more details.
Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I spoke to someone the other week who said that they were going to try and get me the Adv. Nitrox for about £100'ish. I'll see how that one pans out. Thanks anyway

Peter
PS-Bren, You are in no position to take the pi** for the next 6-weeks or so, as there will be 20,000 drunken Glaswegians in Manchester, all looking for a bed. I have your address. It'll cost you a Nitrox ticket, and a set of fully rigged twins, for me not to give it out over the tannoy at Ibrox this Saturday.
You have been suitably warned.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Peter, l'll sell you my basic tdi nitrox card and you can pretend to me.

You'll have to smarten up a bit, act more dignified, lose weight, cut your hair and wear England or Watford football shirts.
As for the age l think you'll get away with prentending to be 45.  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ Sep. 18 2003,17:36)]Peter, l'll sell you my basic tdi nitrox card and you can pretend to be me.

You'll have to smarten up a bit, act more dignified, lose weight, cut your hair and wear England or Watford football shirts........
Dude!!

Do you know what you're asking of Peter!!!!?? You've two hopes mate, and the other one no longer plays golf (RIP)!

Serioulsy Peter, if you're coming down to Manchester-sur-Mer to watch the footie, then you've got a place to stay if ya need it......as long as you don't turn up lauping and team-handed and expect a bed. We do a mean breakie and think we might even swing to some square sausage for ya wee man! Visiting dignitaries and all that  
 Let me know how your're getting on for digs if you're coming down mate.

Oh, and you can do the combined Basic and Advanced TDI Nitrox Course for £135 - (four dives, four gas-mixes - 40, 38, 36 and 32%, and an exam). Cert card rates you to 100% for deco. Speak to Andy (DALESDIVER) Hayhurst and you're laughing.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

so is the general opinion that the basic and advanced TDI nitrox is the best (dislike the word but the best) availible course around for money / value / qualification?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi everyone,

The nitrox courses are the best investment Ian and I have made in our diving.  Now there is gonna be a whole load of hooping and hollering over who the best course is run by (as in agency) so on and so forth.  We both did the PADI basic nitrox and the TDI adv. Nitrox.  When we did the Adv. Nitrox the instructor did the basic TDI course as a refresher and to be honest we didn't learn anything that we did not already know, and that also goes for the Advanced course aswell, asides from gas management and planning however that could be due to combining it with the deco. proceedures which is well recomended.

HTH

Fee

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mary,

IMHO, I don't think it matters which agency certifies you.  The basics of Nitrox are really very simple and the theoretical knowledge can be gained from any good tech diving book eg Kevin Gurrs 'Tech Diving from the Bottom Up'.  The difference is the Instructor - do the observed dives with a good un and you'll pick up lots of good extra tips.  

A lot of guys here have done the TDI Adv course and found it very good.  If you do as Bren has advised and contact Andy Hayhurst then you won't go wrong.  And you'd get a weekend in the beautiful lake district.

HTH

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Top stuff Mat,

Now you will have to get two twin sets each as you just kniow that the mix you have for the planned dive is not any use when its blown out and the next dive is 6m deeper

Dear Go Dive what discount can I have on four twin sets 02 cleen of course??

As for training, I would go streight into TDI advanced Nitrox (It think that is still possable). You will actualy lurn somthing and be able to do a shed load of advanced diving to boot.

Ahhhhhhh nitrox, back in my day it was just air you know, and we were glad to have it. 220 bar fills. Pah! We had 180 bar and were still expected to do 2 hour run times on a single 12.
You kids now days dont know how lucky you are. Now pass me that Worthingtons Origional to suck on whilst I sort out my EAD's

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

HI,

Congrats Matt, you are now formally on the slippery slope to poverty. Longer bottom times, hmmm, need more gas = twinset, twinset = more gas than bottom time = Advance deco = stage = deco procedures = curiosity = 2nd stage = Trimix = deeper dives = not enough gas = re-breather = poverty.

Simple really

Andrew

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Matt

Good on ya, as for courses TDI Adv seems to give the best return, but any will give you that extra safety ya want.

Dive Safe, Dive Nitrox.

Paul

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Sep. 18 2003,20:12)]Dear Go Dive what discount can I have on four twin sets 02 cleen of course??
I wouldn't bother. Last time I was in there trying to buy a twinset they spent most of their time trying to convince me to buy a different one, as it soon became clear the one we wanted wasn't in stock. Neither were most of the other bits we needed, and their previous negotiation that I so enjoyed was remarkably thin on the ground.

New store, no stock. I'll be going elsewhere in future.  

Their prices aren't the best in the country any more. Fabers are about the only thing they can do cheaper than anyone else. I'd rather have the after-ssles service from another centre.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Diggs,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'd rather have the after-sales service from another centre
That's why we don't go there any more. We've had numerous run-ins with Mark about replaced dry suit hoses after servicing only to be told we don't know what our own kit looks like (someone else's hose was put on Dawn's regs - and it didn't fit), surly service and attempting to sell us Apeks regs when we wanted Aqualungs. I now use another Derby based centre and I'm a lot happier with their service AND prices.

Cheers mate,

Noel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts