YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

been reading a little bit about nitrox re its benefits, and was wondering wether there is a time table when you should start thinking about using this? Is nitrox course dificult? Im not that clever wirh the old maths and someone told me there were quite a few difficult calculations on a course they'd been on is this right? appreciate any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Course is a piece of piss - can be used from the off really (I wouldn't include it on an open water course) but certainly from advanced upwards. Its one of the few PADI specialities than can be taught at the same time as a second one (on the advanced course). Very easy concepts to learn and apply.

You also get two pre-printed tables (like the RDTs you get on open water) - one for EAN32 and one for EAN36. These are the two most popular 'standard' mixes so if you can read and use tables then stick to these mixes.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Skener

Like what Jay said, its very easy, should be used from entry and there should not be any limitations on when anyone can use it.

In my club we do square wreck profiles all the time and i would prefer that all were on NITROX. Hopefully by next Summer all will with our Membrane compressor and Basic Nitrox Course added onto OD just before SD.

Bit like the O2 Administrator Course i am fitting into the SD course.

Dive Safe, Dive Nitrox.

Paul

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Get in there Skener; as the boys say it's a piece of cake and you'll get a lot more out of your diving. About the most useful course you can do excepting Rescue.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Agreed, get stuck into it skener, IMO there's far far too much mystery attached to nitrox, (at least there certainly was during my early stages of diving amongst my old club)  FFS! it's not as if there's anything technical about breathing in and out is there? OK so most of us are a bit maths-phobic and don't really enjoy number crunching and it might look a bit daunting if you feel that way too, but it's not something that anyone should be put-off by as it will be thoroughly explained on the course.

The only real issue is that you need to be aware of is that usuing nitrox requires that you be capable enough and diciplined enough to stick to predetermined max depths to avoid the potential dangers of increased ppO2, things which any diver should be capable of no matter what their qualification level .
HTH
Steve

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Yep, good stuff in the right situation.

There is a lot of maths type stuff on the course but don't let it put you off. Most of it relates to extreams and uper limits which during normal diving are never realised but you just need to be aware of. Only thing to watch realy in normal diving is the depth for the mix you use and you will have a simple table to look it up with. Nitrox is not "the devils gas".

James

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

Nitrox can be used virtually from the start of your diving. It's the ideal sports diving gas as the biggest benefits are in the 15-30m range.

For Basic Nitrox you do not need to do a lot of maths. The TDI basic course now stresses the use of standard tables rather than any maths formulas. When I teach the TDI Basic Nitrox course I go into the maths only for those who really want to know. For anyone who is nervous about maths i would teach them the concepts and show them how to safely use the standard tables.

Basic Nitrox should be considered as a recreational/sport/open water diving course.

Once you get on to Advanced Nitrox then you do really need to understand the maths but this is starting to move away from the sport diving and move towards deco/technical diving.

The TDI website will give you a list of instructors in your area.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Apart from what's already been said it's a definite bonus for anyone who falls into a higher stress category.  Instructors doing repetitive dives, less fit/overweight or just like me knocking on a bit. If you use nitox but air tables it adds more conservatism to your profile and therfore an additional safety factor.  I also find I recover from diving quicker.
It can extend your bottom time but if you're a gas guzzler then you'll run out before you reach your NDL anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts