YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>My twin 12s went into a dive shop in Croydon - Scubadoo - on friday for a 36% fill.

They charged £16!!!!!!

What do other places charge, from memory Runneymede charge £10.

Seems Scubadoo are taking the pi55.

Juz

· "That's NOT my avatar! It's film of me AFTER I was
521 Posts
Imported post

GoDive in Derby do free air and nitrox, I'm not sure what reaction you'd get from him if you turned up with twin 12s thought :)
Only down side is I've been told I've had a bad fill (from an NI/FCD in our club who then cleaned my cylinder as it also contained some moisture) and that a few others have had the same. I've not noticed it myself but then I live next to a main road so probably have a deadened sence of smell.
Maybe we could have a poll to see what pence/litre places charge, just a thought.

· Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Juz @ Jan. 26 2004,13:08)]My twin 12s went into a dive shop in Croydon - Scubadoo - on friday for a 36% fill.

They charged £16!!!!!!
Kent diving charge £12.00 for twin 12's @ 32%

and you can park for free. (those bus lanes at Croydon are a bitch)

Did Scubadoo do it while you wait?

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Fortunately for (not for her), my gf took them in - they said they could do it whilst she waited - took 2 hours!!!

Think we'll stick to runneymede or Dive69 from now on.

Juz

· Registered
13,342 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Juz

Had my twin 7's done last week, did them while I waited took less than half an hour, didn't really notice probably talking too much.  I think he charged me 1p per litre for O2 so it depends on how much you have.  Mine weren't empty so he does the calc and then you pay for what you get.

Fiona

PS. would be interested to know how GoDive can give away free air and nitrox, someone must be paying for it somewhere and I doubt they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart.  Compressors need some maintainance.

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Imported post

My club has just started up Nitrox facilities. We haven't fully decided on pricing, but twin 12s would probably cost me about £8...

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>That's certainly not how he charged us.

We had to empty them; so for a 200 (actually ended up less than that) bar fill it should have been 38bar of O2 plus Air top.

38 bar x 24l = 912l O2

912 X £0.01 = £9.12

£9.12 + Air fill

That would make their standard charge for a single 12 of air £3.44

Just seemed excessive to me.

I've just called Runneymede, they said it would be £9.17. That's a big difference to £16

· Registered
13,342 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Sounds about right, come to think of it I was charged £12 for two sets of twin 7's which had some mix left in them can't remeber what it was, coz I also paid for pony being serviced and cleaned and that was £30.

Have to agree £16 does sound a bit much.

· old time
6,621 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>become a garage blender Juz.    think my fills last year worked out to be about £ 1.20      thats for a years fill of various mixes in a 12 litre and 80% in a 3 .

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Love to, if only for the cenvenience.

But live in a flat and think that the outlay cost might be a bit much. Also, I'm inept at DIY/Mechanical stuff.

I'll investigate enrolling the missus on a course and convince her to blow her bonus on a compressor - SOME CHANCE lol

· PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,655 Posts
Imported post

Some clubs offer free air and O2 at cost.  Dunno about Croydon (south of the river!!!) but my old club it worked out at 3 quid for a 12 of 36.
If you dive often enough it would be worth the subs.

Don't buy a breathing air compressor - you need a gas booster and a hobbyist compressor.

My local shop - Dive Force Marine on the Nth. Circ. charges £6.80 for a 12 of 32.  I think 36 is a bit more.

Gas blender course is about 100 notes.

Chris.

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

I think IIRC,  National dive centre charger £4.80 for twin 300 bar 7's with Nitrox 36.  And I am pretty sure that Vobster Quay is around the £6 area.

And I thought things down South were supposed to be dear.

Daz

· Registered
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>I just think it's one dive shop taking the pi55.

Last year they charged someone £38 for a manual that cost £11 from PADI.

Like I said, I'll be voting with my feet.

Juz

· Very Senior Member
1,882 Posts
Imported post

I agree, £16 does seem excessive My LDS would charge £13 for the same fill.

Looking at all the posts its fairly easy to see that there is a lot of difference depending on where you go.

I'm not commenting on the right and wrong of individual shop pricing policies however, Please dont compare shop prices to the prices being suggeted by the home brewers. O2 is reasonably cheap to come by "even" when you add in the rental / delivery / wastage / inconvenience and cost of a fill whip. So is air per litre once you have invested in a few thousand for even a small home compressor

The issues the dive shops have are different - as is the costs. At home you dont need all the insurance Particularly the liability insurance, you wont be getting clean air certificates every few months, you wont have spent 10 to 15k plus on a compressor and "filling station" and you wont have to train and pay for someone to actually do the fill. Dont forget the money for the annual written scheme of examination and all the HSE regs either.
Labour costs money - everyone wants a good fill and only so many can be done per hour, someone has to be paid along with the rental on the premisis and the rates etc. The labour issue is the key one in the case of top offs and why a lot of places will not reduce the costs for top offs, the time involved does not actually reduce very much.

We live in a world where the internet is being used to seek out the lowest price for everything - fine - no problem - I do it myself. However, we cannot yet dive on the internet and so long as your LDC is "reasonable" I would advocate giving it you business - air and equipment. In this way we can hopefuly ensure that the LDC is here to stay and we dont have to find a way of squeezing Air down our broadband.  

Regards

Ps there is a LDS near Havent who prices for 80% so cheap I know he is losing money on every fill. Does it to get the customers in the shop

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Skipper @ Jan. 26 2004,18:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Jan. 26 2004,17:54)] And I am pretty sure that Vobster Quay is around the £6 area.
Vobster would charge you that for Air!

£3 a fill now i am told

Regards
You may well be correct Dave,  I know that they are very reasonable about what they charge and don't always stick to their published prices.

But I do know that I have always considered it reasonable and not worried about the price.  Anything over £8 for my twin 10's or 7's and I start to notice.

NDC is cheap though,  I was very surprised at their prices.

Daz

· Very Senior Member
1,882 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Jan. 26 2004,18:16)]You may well be correct Dave,  I know that they are very reasonable about what they charge and don't always stick to their published prices.
Daz,

Thats good to know  
 Its that sort of attitude which makes people go back..... sort of gives you a warm feeling that your business is important to them and your being looked after

regards

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.