YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Last weekend the good lady and me travelled South to a popular tourist location called Zeeland. It’s the bit on the map of the Netherlands with the three spits of land just below Rotterdam.
It was amazing with the water temperature at 20c and a really wide variety of marine life including shed loads of crab, lobster, cuttle fish, needle fish, slugs, flat fish etc etc.
What surprised me is the place seems to be the diving Mecca for the Germans and Belgians but I didn’t meet a single Brit and have never heard of it before coming here.
The area boasts more than 50 dive locations, wrecks and any amount of nightlife and après dive activities.
If you have a weekend free I can really recommend it for a change of scenery.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I suppose that if it is a good site for that neck of the woods it's popular with the Germans and Belgians as it is relatively close for them to dive and wet their appetite. Maybe for the English it's not worth a specific dive trip there - hang on... did you say 20ºc? That is warm!
It's good to hear about these sites because even if it is not worth a specific dive trip there often we may end up in areas on when travelling and then try to slip in a dive. Ocassionaly when I do trips across Spain or France I try to go out on a dive in between meetings for example.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I worked in Holland (Den Haag) for more than a year and didnt once hear of that area as a dive Mecca, you guys have kept it very quiet, so that's why you dont see us over there - probably.
Shame cos it is driveable for the Southern brigade via the Tunnel and would make a good weekends trip, the non-diving partners could stock up on duty frees. Would almost make the whole trip cost effective.

Hmmm!!!

Matt

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

I posted this as a result of a conversation with my missus. Seemed to me the sites are well dived, the water is warm (Mares M1 shows four dives to around 15 meters with an average of 19C not 20, sorry) and all the amenities are good yet its not known at home at all. It would be an ideal "booze cruise" as Hoek van Holland is only about 60k from Zeeland on the highway.
Brugge is probably as close and the **** and beer are cheaper.

Try a place called Den Osse in any map site for directions.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Hi Duiker

I've dived Zeeland and know of Den Osse, used it as a sea diving area when I worked in Germany and needed to get away from all their inland Zee.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Hi Duiker,
there's a bunch of us from Rother Diving Club coming across on the annual club long weekend to Den Osse from Sept 26-29. The form in the past has been to hook up with a Dutch club that we get on well with- whose name escapes me right now - drink beer, duik, cry about the lobbies we're not allowed to nick and generally have a splendid time.  You're welcome to join us for a jar or 3 if you fancy it.

Cheers
Rob

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ June 23 2003,23:58)]Hi Duiker,
there's a bunch of us from Rother Diving Club coming across on the annual club long weekend to Den Osse from Sept 26-29. The form in the past has been to hook up with a Dutch club that we get on well with- whose name escapes me right now - drink beer, duik, cry about the lobbies we're not allowed to nick and generally have a splendid time.  You're welcome to join us for a jar or 3 if you fancy it.

Cheers
Rob
Duiker,

Watch out for him - he is a YBOD. When his round comes round he can disappear for ages whilst us OC boys have to surface and buy our rounds.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

Nice one Rob, I think I'm around then. I'll pop down for a pie and a pint. Drop me a mail and let me know where you'll be when you know.
There is a BSAC club over here (something to do with the space agency) called the Ranstad Harings,is it them?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Hi Duiker,
not sure about the name of the BSAC club, but I'll give you a shout closer to D-day and let you know the arrangements.  Look forward to hooking up.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts