YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday I start my Advance Nitrox and Decompression Procedures course with Mark Powell.

The course text arrived on Monday and I am slowly working my way through it. The first book I picked up was Advanced Nitrox Diving and I nearly phoned Mark up straight away and told him I'd have to delay!!!! The first 20 pages is almost all mathematics!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I have an HND in Electronic Engineering so maths doesn't scare me but it took a couple of read throughs before I understood the way TDI explain things.

With the PADI stuff you're spoon fed what you need to know and that's about it. TDI expect you to think carefully about the information presented.

Anyway.....am busy filling out the reviews and am looking forward to but am quite nervous about the course as a whole.

Wish me luck!

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
:D :thumbsup:

Mark will make sure you understand it, have no fear of that! If he can get me through the maths side of it he can get anyone through :angel:

Be more worried about the OOA's he'll chuck at you ;)

Good luck - it's a rewarding course.

S xx

Reactions: 4823

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Good luck with the Course.

The AN & DP course I did with Mark was a milestone for me and changed the way I thought about my diving.

Although there is a lot of info about the course on the 'net and YD in particular, don't forget that the course reports are normally written up whilst adrenalin is still coursing through the veins.....so although it is a tough course depending on what you already know and do, don't forget it *is* a course where you are meant to learn stuff :D

Look forward to hearing how it goes.
Mal

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I did my AN & DP course with Mark back in January. In fact, It was the weekend before we met, briefly, on the countess of erme dive. It was without doubt the best course I've ever done in diving.

Mark managed to be encouraging, thought provoking and supportive. I felt very challenged, but in a good way. Marks teaching style is quiet, thoughtful and very 'real world', and geared towards your needs. I couldn't recomend him more.

I was a nervous as hell, but I suspect that is more to do with my nature than the course. Oh, and as the missus wasn't on the course, I was pining for her as well, which didn't help.....:) :)

Some of the things I learnt:

*If you have a back-up anything, expect to use it as your primary may well 'dissapear' during a dive. A good lesson that when you need a back-up, you need it now, and you need to be able to work it with no effort.

*if you get more than the length of a long hose away from your buddies, expect an OOA.

*expect the unexpected. listen carefully to any pre-dive discussions for clues as to what might happen....:)

Anyway, enjoy yourself - like Mal said, the course has been a real milestone for me, and has changed the way I think about diving.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I can only echo what the others have said. Don't be nervous, be excited! This course will stretch you, but it isn't a boot camp as some others are portrayed. Mark is direct and honest, but not bombastic. He will lead you to realise what needs work, rather than destroy your confidence.

It is a great course - best of luck!

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
I didn't know you were doing this Scuttler :) Lots of luck, although I'm confident you won't need it :angel:

As for the maths, that was the best bit in my ADN course. I loved it :D
If you want a swot buddy for that, gi'us a call. I wanna do it again :embarassed:

Oh, and Mark assures me he's not scary like YD threads would have me believe so I'm looking forward to hearing your feelings on that :p

See ya soon :teeth:

·
Rapidly expanding member
285 Posts
Good luck - I am doing the same course at the end of May and realising that sitting and looking at the KR's is not actually doing them. Being a complete imbecile when it comes to any sort of maths am now duly scared and will start them now - you may not have any fingernails, I fear my hair may be pulled out.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maths is easy. I like maths.
So do I....but the first few pages in the manual don't half make it look complicated!!!

Anyway.....finished the reviews last night......just need to re-read the manuals to make sure I haven't missed anything!

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Sigh of relief :D

lets face facts, your going to get a right royal beasting, they'll be blood snot and tears and thats before your even on the boat. I've heard stories of dancing round the boat to tunes of "this is my twinset, this is my gun, this is for diving and this is for fun" (see Full Metal Jacket). OOA should be the least of your worries, blind one handed OOA blob deployment while towing the shot to the wreck, buts hey thats just dive 1. from there it just gets tougher. If your not crying your just not trying. I'd wish you luck but i've a feeling its more a miracle that you'll need. :)

hope this helps to calm your nerves. :D

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lets face facts, your going to get a right royal beasting, they'll be blood snot and tears and thats before your even on the boat. I've heard stories of dancing round the boat to tunes of "this is my twinset, this is my gun, this is for diving and this is for fun" (see Full Metal Jacket). OOA should be the least of your worries, blind one handed OOA blob deployment while towing the shot to the wreck, buts hey thats just dive 1. from there it just gets tougher. If your not crying your just not trying. I'd wish you luck but i've a feeling its more a miracle that you'll need. :)

hope this helps to calm your nerves. :D
I'm feeling better already....sounds just like my PADI RD course!

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Just managed to take a look at that. It doesnt mention UPD, CNS/OLF%ages 0.5 bar, half lives after 2 hours ... which I imagine is more what Scuttler was alluding too
Exactly.
Have you ever planned a dive at a sensible ppO2 and discovered CNS or OTUs gave you a problem?

Me neither.
I just remember that 1.3bar ppO2 is 3 hours in one hit and 5 hours a day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts