YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a recent fatal accident and investigation it would seem NOAA are now prohibiting the use of split fins for divers in drysuits or heavy currents:

7. Prohibit the use of split fins for diving when heavy loads or high currents may be encountered or
when wearing a drysuit.
http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/newsltr/ts_07march.pdf

Not passing an opinion either way as i know how controversial the subject is :)

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Not passing an opinion either way as i know how controversial the subject is :)
Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhh :(

It is Friday afternoon. (and split fins are shit :D)

Chris

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhh no there not !
(best pantomine acting there )

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
[Serious hat on]I saw a link to this on DIRx and read the whole report. It's a catalogue of poor planning and adherence to procedure which unfortunately resulted in two people losing their lives. It seems odd to pick out a few aspects of the story to make such sweeping statements, IMO.
[Serious hat off]

Having said that, split fins are sh*t ... everyone knows that ;)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Finally, an article to point people at where I can make split fins look shit without having to video anyone to prove it. Please tell me some more training agencies can get these dirty little buggers off the list of available gear. Why would anyone want broken fins? Get some real fins. Splits are for girls with weak calves, and no-one likes a girl with weak legs. They can go in with twin tens if you ask me.

Oooh, I have an idea for a new thread coming on. Not really appropriate for this thread, bit of a tangent.

Digs.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
[Serious hat on]I saw a link to this on DIRx and read the whole report. It's a catalogue of poor planning and adherence to procedure which unfortunately resulted in two people losing their lives. It seems odd to pick out a few aspects of the story to make such sweeping statements, IMO.
[Serious hat off]
Agreed Mal.

They could have been using the 'best' kit in the world. It almost certainly was not anything to do with kit that killed them.

The full report is quite an eye opener. Hard to believe the both the command and crew were such a shambles.

Adrian

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Doesn't say they've blacklisted my force fins though :angel:

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
That answers a question I was about to ask, I need fins with a big pocket and was about to ask for opinions on either force fins or the Scubapro Twin Jet Max, but I guess its a short list of 1 now, and no I dont want Jets or Turtles.

Interesting to read there also replacing all scubapro regs for oceanic regs for cold water use. Point 5 would also suggest that they were not using any secondary form of bouyancy, something most rec agencies would recomend against these days.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Point 5 would also suggest that they were not using any secondary form of bouyancy, something most rec agencies would recomend against these days.
I am not sure if I have misinterpreted your double negative here.....but ......The way I read the report it suggests they only had a single MP feed which they connected to their drysuits. They were massively overweighted (one diver had 60lbs of weight) with no dumpable weight also. They had BC's that were not connected and because they were using Full Face Masks, then oral inflation was not an option for them.

Mal

EDIT On the subject of fins the report states

Diver 3 was not wearing split fins, but instead donned standard "blade" fins which
were more appropriate for a heavy equipment dive, such as this one.

and later

Both divers wore split fins designed for high speed, but which provide
minimal thrust in heavy diving. Split fins are not considered appropriate for
heavy diving, but rather for light diving and snorkeling.

·
400 Posts
Yes thats what I mean, only having one bouyancy device (the drysuit) connected to their air supply, all training agencies that I have come across all recomend using a BC with a drysuit and its a surprise that they didnt follow that basic recomendation.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Yes thats what I mean, only having one bouyancy device (the drysuit) connected to their air supply, all training agencies that I have come across all recomend using a BC with a drysuit and its a surprise that they didnt follow that basic recomendation.
They would appear to have ignored pretty much every recommendation and rule of the service they were operating under. And with very few dives.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Interesting, I do know of one group which doesn't seem to frown upon using a drysuit with only a harness, but then they seem to do a lot of sidemount diving.

In the days of old, diving with only a drysuit and a buddy backpack wasn't all that uncommon. I have done dives using only a drysuit for buoyancy, but I rely on having a shotline to return to or walls to climb to get out if required.

If you have really big feet and really don't want turtles then Quattros in XL is the option (in red, obviously). But I'd still go for turtles every time personally.

Digs.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
What total bollocks

I used to dive Avanti Quatroes then i switched to Appolo Bio Fins now I dive Turtle fins.

If i buy crap kit i tell people its crap and admit my error in the purchase. That should be blatently obvious to anyone who folows my posts.

Quatroes: Fast powerfull fins excelent manouveribuility but poor foot pocket design gives me and a lot of other divers cramp.

Turtle fins: no where near as much power as the quatroes but lovley massive foot pockets very comforatble very manouverable basicly more than adiquate power for wreck diving and short stubby design handy when walking on boats.

Appolo Bio Fins (split fins) THE MOST POWERFUL fin I have ever owned. Incredable power from minimal leg effort. Not just bettwe than the quatroes but markedley so. Manouverabuility is crap frog kicks are odd/awkward/hard to do so i dont use them . I use them for we suit diving in the blue stuff when i need to keep up in a current.

ATB

Mark CHase

·
400 Posts
Quattros size XL do not fit my new rock boots, only things that I have been able to try on that fit were size XXXL Force Fins or size XL Twin Jet Max.

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Has anybody got a link to the actual incident report? I can't find any reference to it in that PDF referenced in the original post.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
As usual we see here sweeping generalisations. We have proved there are split fins and split fins. Some are excellent and some are not. I would list as excellent:
Apollo Biofin XT
Scubapro Twinjet Max
Atomic

Some paddle fins are good and some are not. I would list as excellent:
Mares Avanti Quattros
Mares Volo Power

This is by no means an exhaustibve list. I have the scientific equipment (made by Pete McCarthY) needed to prove the results.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
As usual we see here sweeping generalisations. We have proved there are split fins and split fins. Some are excellent and some are not. I would list as excellent:
Apollo Biofin XT
Scubapro Twinjet Max
Atomic

Mares Avanti Quattros
Mares Volo Power

This is by no means an exhaustibve list. I have the scientific equipment (made by Pete McCarthY) needed to prove the results.
The report states

Report said:
Both divers wore split fins designed for high speed, but which provide minimal thrust in heavy diving.
A bit off thread, however, all the tests I have seen done of fins relate to the speed they are able to achieve not how powerful they are. These do not necessary corolate.

I would agree there are good split fins and bad fins (I'm an Apollo Biofin & Force Fin Owner), however, this report brings into question how powerful they are.

I've never seen fins tested for thrust rather than speed, maybe this could be included in your next group test :D

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Apollo Biofin XT
Scubapro Twinjet Max
Atomic

Mares Avanti Quattros
Mares Volo Power

i have used scubapro split jet fins before and liked them but admitedly not for any length of time! but cant realy see them being a contributary factor to diving deaths !!! as for me i love my force fin accelerators ! they realy do what they say on the tin!!

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
T
I've never seen fins tested for thrust rather than speed, maybe this could be included in your next group test :D
I think you need to look at your basic physics theory relating to a fluid environment. For a given body, thrust = forward motion (quantified by speed achieved).

Our earliest fin comparisons measured thrust alone. (See tests by the University of Genoa.) It equates to the same thing but less paraphernalia is needed to measure it with an underwater speedometer!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts