YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
On a break....
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know much about these please ?

Thinking of them for an 11 year old for in car DVD player

Am googling, but if anyone has any recommendations (not too pricey if poss!) or thoughts, glad to hear them

Thanks

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
I use two types

I have Bose Quiet Comfort 3 for the office, which are just bloody awesome. And a pair of cheaper in ear ones for the train.

Both are good at cancelling low frequency stuff like computers, train noise, coffee machines etc, but they are crap at filtering out higher frequencies like voices. they work by basically nullifying the signal, so are good at cancelling steady hums but no good at surprises. The in ear things cost me about £100. The Bose QC3s were considerably more, but then I sit in them all day. Noise cancelling would be great for car/road noise, but no good for the car stereo or adult voices.

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
Erm... the Bose-Quietcomfort-15's sort the lot, you might as well be in a cave for how little background stuff comes through......
But sod the kid, you put them on and make him drive.
P

·
writing cheques he can't cash
617 Posts
I have the Bose QC2 headphones and love them. Garf is right that they're not magical; high pitch voices do definitely cut through more than low noises. Having said that, they're miles better than the crappy Skullcandy in-ear ones I got as a gift a few years ago, and they're not remotely comparable to regular headphones. But they're really expensive--like, really, genuinely expensive, and quite big. Especially for a young kid I would have thought Bose would be a bit much. Standard noise-cancelling headphones are pretty cheap now but won't do nearly as much as expensive ones (obviously!). Still, I'd go for something a bit further down the price line.

·
owner of rectotec
1,678 Posts
Another +1 for the Bose but they're not cheap. If it was for yourself if buy them but if for a kid I would go for something cheaper. They'll probably have the volume turned up anyway

TG

Sent from my iPhone using Timmytalk (hopefully)

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
300 squids... and they walk along listening to an ipod, with crappy coding. Its like drinking coke out of finest crystal glass ;)

·
On a break....
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
107 Posts
interest declared: I work for Harman

Noise cancelling cans are only really effective when dealing with a constant LF "thrum". This thrum is picked up by microphones embedded in the cans which is then fed back anti-phase, thereby creating a sort of "hole" through which the original programme (playback) material can be heard. All good, until transient signals are introduced. This is where isolating cans are far better. For "isolating" think of the ear-defender types which grip your head, vice-like, between a set of sound-proof teacups, or preferably in-ear transducers that have fitted silicone grommets which offer attenuation of background noise, whilst providing un-fettled reproduction of your favourite gramophone recordings. Isolating cans also benefit from the user not having to use excessive SPLs which can cause long-term hearing damage.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I've got these:

£150 - Nokia bluetooth noise cancelling:

£40 - Philips noise cancelling headphones:
Are they good then Matt?!! I've been looking at the Philips ones as I don't really have any cause to use such things more than once a year and thus cannot justify the higher priced sets.

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
They tested these on the Gadget Show this week, the Fanny wangs came out best, but then again they would.

MyM

·
Registered
706 Posts
Are they good then Matt?!! I've been looking at the Philips ones as I don't really have any cause to use such things more than once a year and thus cannot justify the higher priced sets.
I've got a pair of the Philips ones. They work very well for cancelling out aeroplane engine or train wheel noise. Since they are in-ear design with rubber bungs, they also isolate from other external noises. They run for ages on a single AAA battery.

·
Registered
729 Posts
For noise cancelling I'd add another +1 for the Bose Q15s

Not the best headphones for that sort of money but probably the best noise cancelling technology. They are unbeatable on a plane where you hear none of the aircraft noise even at fairly low volumes.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Yes, I think they are very good. The Philips ones sit right in the ear and stop most of the normal noise getting to you. The cancel works great - first it boosts the volume a bit which is nice but it also drowns out the train/aircraft noise. They come with the airline adapter too. They run on a single AAA so are easy to service on a trip. One battery lasts me a long haul return plus the time away.

Good value set for someone not wanting the cost of the over the ears.

The others are better, but what value better versus cost?

Matt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts