YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Our Mortgage is largish, but still a lot less than it would cost to rent the same property, so I guess I'd rather buy than rent, and end up with an asset of my own rather than buying a house for someone else.

That said, my house is my home. Making money wasn't the primary reason I bought it, I wanted somewhere nice for me and my family to live.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The house the other side of the Dude has just sold to a nice couple with two smallish children. If only they knew.....:) On the up side, they seem much, much nicer than the mean-spirited old shrew who lived there before:)

Apparently they have both done try-dives, so Howard tells me they are good for 60m in the channel in March. Problem is, I'm not sure I am!!!!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
If you saw the amount of stupid claims made against surveyors then you'd understand why they have watertight contracts. E.g. 'my house is damp and you didn't spot it' - well stop running an unvented tumble dryer in the room then...:)

Like any of these things it is down to the quality of the person doing the survey. It almost doesn't matter if it is a builder, surveyor etc, except that with a surveyor if they miss something then you do have some recourse despite the contract. What you need is a time-served chartered building surveyor who grew up with a builder father. Thankfully I have just described my Dad:)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Its arse covering. Talk it through with the surveyor or someone else who knows what they are doing. The survey on our old flat had a load of old kak in it, my dad (who is a chartered surveyor!) went through it and crossed off most of it as arse covering, rubbish and stuff that didn't really need diong yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.