YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
I'm of the reverse opinion that buying a house is a lousy investment - unless to turn a trick over a upturn... if your staying put... rent... if you are moving on in a stagnant era - rent.... if likely to be unemployed at anytime - rent....

I have rented the same house for one of my businesses as offices for 20 years now - at £50 (average) per week - so have spent £50k rent on it.
I haven't spent anything on maintenance on it...
It was worth £30k when I took it, its worth £70k now - so if I'd put that £50k towards a mortgage on it, I'd still owe about £10k and have spent perhaps £10k more on maintenance...the landlord has had to pay for a new roof and windows...
But now times are tough - if I can't work - the dole will pay the rent tomorrow - they wouldn't pay the mortgage - I'd have to sell at a loss.
If I get put in a home, they sell the house to cover the fees - as a rental - they pay the fees....

If you move you pay fees fees fees... mugs game

So by renting you've saved about 10 k maintenance costs, if you'd bought you'd still owe about 10k on a mortage. So if you decide to end the business you get nada now whereas if you'd bought you'd sell for 70 k less 10 k mortage less fees etc and be about 50k up and you think you've done well?

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
What l'm finding really scary is that Digger is finaly becoming an adult.

Amy, does this mean that when you move into your new house you will finaly be able to have sensible conversations with Digsy?

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
l had a look with Digs and Amy yesterday and my conclusion was that it is a lovely house for Amy and far too good for Digs. :D

Oh and the house and garden are plenty big enough for a family..................... :embarassed:

Especially since Digs will be living in the garage.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Digs, l haven't read all the posts so this may have been covered but there will be no problem getting retrospective building regulation approval, the WC conects into the soil pipe for the bathroom above so thats ok, l can'tremeber if there was a fan fitted but if not thats not expensive and the basin should have a deep trap, again if not fitted it's not expensive to correct, the main expense will be building regs fees which will be about £100.

Are they just talking about the understairs loo and not the rear extension?

As for the crap about using it to get the price reduced only go down that route if you're prepared to loose the house, which to be honest for the sake of a few hundred squids you'd be mad to risk it.

Ring me when you get a min.

EDIT.

The chimney breasts are not a problem.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Digsy, as long as it continues to cost a fortune and is a nightmare to move people will stay and extend their houses. :D

EDIT

Also get off your arse and unpack/shift boxes, l'm coming round saturday to drink beer, not ponce about with boxes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.