YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
321 - 340 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
You exchanged well done you.

Now I can share my bad experience (didn't want to worry you before, now its ok)

I had a buyer drop out on the morning of the exchange.

There was me sitting on a spare house and a bridging loan, interest rates at their peak 18% (base plus 2.5%) and the housing market in free fall. Wife was 7 months preggy with number three.

Lost sale cost me a packet, legals £1k, interest £8K, price drop £10k. Nice!

The buyer gave no explanation at all, I believe they had 2 deals on the go and mine was the fall back plan. Thanks a bunch!
Some people are proper shits. Unfortunately the system in our country allows it, I have no idea why it is this way. Just have a decent legal document that you write how much you are offering, and sign the bottom, the seller signs the bottom, and you are tied in or have to pay X in a sensible timeframe, say 6 months. Then everyone knows the score, everyone is tied together, and they know that they aren't spending thousands based on a trust agreement with someone they've never met before.

Luckily our sellers were perfectly nice, if a bit naive and lazy, but there's no way of knowing when you offer on a place that the estate agent has shown you around.

Digs.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Unfortunately, the people who would be responsible for changing the system are the ones currently making a good living with the system we have, so there is little incentive to change it.

I always thought (until recently) that if a solicitor gave an undertaking, and another agreed to accept that undertaking, that it was as set in stone as it could be. However, it seems that solicitors can change their minds about relying on another solicitors undertaking. If solicitors can't trust each other, where does that leave the ordinary person, apart from up shit creek?

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
The landlords I know won't rent to those on benefits; been burnt in the past by poor tenants and not getting the money.
Of the 250 landlords I know, only three will rent to those of benefits. Not everyone on benefits in a scrote that's true, but the two high risk categories in renting are young adults and benefits, where the majority of problems occur.

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Does the tenant have to be party to this?
Didn't for the one I set up. In fact the council asked us to do it because the tenant was keeping the rent. Can't recall the form asking for the tenant's signature. I think it's for times when tenant is being problematic and enables the council to try and keep them in private accommodation.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Really pleased for you both. You've had it easy compared to our 5 month trauma!!
This thread started in january, almost nine months worth of heart aching cringworthy sadness, count yourself lucky, and be happy ypu only had five months worth.

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
Update.

WE HAVE EXCHANGED! WE'VE DONE IT! THANK COCKING HEAVENS!

The process that had almost no chance of actually working has actually worked. I have no idea how, but somehow we have negotiated our way through it.

Completion date 6th Sep. Which is nice, because we've got a lot of decorating to do before we move everything in on the 10th Sep!

Digs.
Do you know I'm soo relieved, its almost like childbirth...congratulations on the birth of your.....

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
This thread started in january, almost nine months worth of heart aching cringworthy sadness, count yourself lucky, and be happy ypu only had five months worth.
I am extremely happy that we finally own the house we found in February. I'm also really pleased that you know enough about our transactions to determine that we had no 'heartaching crimgeworthy sadness'.

Sometimes, you post like a complete twat.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
I am extremely happy that we finally own the house we found in February. I'm also really pleased that you know enough about our transactions to determine that we had no 'heartaching crimgeworthy sadness'.

lol

Reactions: Hickdive and Digger

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·

Being able to write stuff down, get advice and input from people who've done this dozens of times before, and knowing we're not the only people who've got right to the end of our tether doing this was really rather useful.

I don't remember any "heartaching cringeworthy sadness" just a bunch of people trying to help, and you and I posting how things had actually got along and happened. Of course unless someone actually invests their emotions into two people on the internet trying to buy and sell houses, then I don't see how it can be heartaching. And there's hardly any sadness in people finding the house they really wanted and getting help to do it.

But I'll give him cringeworthy. Some of the naivety at the start of the process was fairly interesting to read back through and see what we knew and what we didn't know. Regardless, there is advice in here that first time buyers are going to find useful, so I don't care. There are no stupid questions, just stupid people :) And the stupid people are not the ones asking questions.

It has also saved us literally thousands of pounds. For several grand, I'll look like a cockhead. My pride is worth a lot less than that. I'm moving in to a pink house FFS.

Anyone want to see it? In pursuit of the maximum amount of cringeworthiness, here she is. I have named the house "Dunfuckinroaminforthenext20years" - not sure where to get the sign for the door yet.

Right then Morag, I've shown you mine, now you have to show me yours :D Just because Molly is clearly curious and loves this stuff.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
It's pink, you've bought a pink house!!!
Yes, that's because I am a screaming homosexual, and Mrs Digger is a girl. We are keeping up a front because there are a lot of Daily Mail readers in the postcode we are moving to. Luckily we have space for some massive closets for me to stay in.

If it helps, the pink is much more lurid in real life :D It was a negotiating point when we put our offer in.

Digs.

321 - 340 of 376 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.