YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me.  I'm a Lancashire diver (a what !!!) who wants to do some diving on your side.  I am a BSAC dive leader from Bury and am just starting to think about Club trips for next year.  So far only done 1 dive off Yorkshire (HMS Falmouth off Brid) and that was in my training.  Strikes me that there must be loads of decent wreck sites etc in the North Sea which I would really like to explore.  Unfortunately our club has no contacts in Yorkshire and I can't really find a lot of info.  Please can anyone help me.  I am interested in any decent dive sites (wreck or scenic, boat or shore), launch sites, or maybe best for our first time, contact names and numbers for charter boats operating off Yorkshire.  Thanks for your help it is much appreciated, and if anyone wants any info on the West Coast and North Wales I would be very happy to help.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imported post

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire plus the Humber approaches have more wrecks in sensible depths than any coast in the UK. (Fishing trade, coal trade, 2 World Wars, upredictable and often awful weather). See Admiralty Charts 107, 109, 108 etc if you're not sure.
The problem is access and conditions amenable to diving are not readly predictable. the weather is fickle, launching can be problematic, surface sea state can be horrendous, and underwater visibiity and currents may be atrocious. But if you study and observe these variables and work it out, then you can attain the best diving in the UK. Undived wrecks in less than 30 metres, shoals of Crustaceans and fish life, non ferrous artefacts galore, visibility from zero to 20 metres and the Bonhomme Richard (not in Filey Bay as supposed). It takes a lot of local knowledge and years of study, many disappointments and lots of camaraderie and fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts