YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some poking around the interweb, i've come across dry gloves made by Northern Diver (Northern Diver Dryglove System) - just wondering if anyone had used them, knew anything about them, had seen them anywhere, etc? They're only £61 from Display Products, yet sound like they're just as good as the "good" drygloves, and better than my current cheap and bashed Hydrotech ones.

They *seem* to be what I want, the locking mechanism *sounds* good, that I should be able to do it alone, etc, but would rather have some input from someone who'd seen or ideally used them, rather than relying on the advert!

Any comments?

David

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Friend of mine (ex friend :embarassed: ) went & bought a set of these after I paid £130 for Rolocks :frown: He loves them & they certainly work as well as my Rolocks .

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know.

Don't suppose you have any idea if the gloves are easily replaceable, or are they glued to the rings? Hard to tell from the pictures, and ND aren't answering emails :frown:

David

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Will try & find out tomorrow/sunday for you

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Was at Stoney on Saturday. I have set of Rolocks and my friend turned up wearing a set of these northern dive gloves. Looked fairly easy to fit, very positive locking ring. Only drawback would appear to be the size of the rings- they are very large compared to the rolocks. Once locked on then stayed on- no leaks. My rolocks have a habit of unlocking a little when I move my arm-(looking at it I think the bungy on my compass is too tight-hence stopping the sleeve moving with the glove). These had no such problem. If you can live with the size of the rings then might be a good buy. Only coment is that the plastic looks a little cheap - at least compared to rolocks. Gloves held on by similar ring inside so should not be too difficult to swap over with new gloves. (the standard ones are a little thin). Liners are good.

I love my rolocks - even if they do need checking ever few minutes to ensure they are still locked, but these look OK.

Ian

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, ok cheers. Well I'll just hope the ring size isn't too much of a problem, because I ordered them earlier this evening! :embarassed:

Ta for the replies :)

David

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, they arrived today! :D

Haven't got them installed properly yet (I need new seals), but put one of them on an arm. Quite impressed with them, on first impressions. They definitely are bigger than the old ones I had, but not sure how much of a problem that'll be - might just end up putting them a little bit further up my arm so it doesn't cause a problem, but i'll see.

The locking mechanism is very nice, seems very easy to get on and off, and no chance of falling off! Also can't be put on wonky, and so can't leak like my old (Hydrotech?) ones did.

Also a very good method of fixing them to the seals. Can go on latex, neoprene, or even on neoprene warm cuffs, all exactly the same method, so very flexible. And the seals aren't stretched over the outside, so should be less chance of damaging the wrist seal (which is the reason I wanted new gloves in the first place). But these took less than 5mins to fit to a latex seal, where as the old Hydrotech (?) ones i've got could easily take 30mins each side, and often much more!!!

The gloves themselves are held in with a nice firm gripping thing, so again there's nothing stretched over on the outside, and no o-rings or rubber things to slip off (which used to happen regularly on my old gloves). And nice and easy to swap new gloves onto when I put a hole in these - can take any old glove - perfect!

So yeah, very impressed so far, though obviously i'll really see when I get them in the water. But they look like they're much better than any other dry glove ring systems i've seen, comes with a DVD showing exactly how to fit them, and only £61 (follow the link to the shop from the Northern Diver website).

So thanks for the comments earlier, i'll try to remember to add my thoughts after i've got my new seals and taken them diving. :)

David

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly... they're probably the worst compromise i've seen of gloves!

Horrible latex seals (i've seen someone - even with help - struggle to get these gloves on), the tight-fitting neoprene makes it even worse than the blue drygloves with a latex seal, and they're 5mm neoprene so don't even get an an advantage in dexterity.

The blue drygloves also pay for themself very quickly if you find yourself putting holes in things easily - replace the glove part for £3.50, rather than replacing the whole lot for £25 each time.

David

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Northern Diver Drygloves

Be very interested to see how you get on with them.

I finally seem to of got my rolocks sorted out so they don't move and unlock underwater. :angel: :angel: :angel:

The positive lock was something that I really liked about these northern diver gloves- if I didn't already have the rolocks then I would consider a set of these to fit to the suit. As mentioned above the only drawback I can see is the size of the rings and the quality of the plastic. My friend commented that the DVD paused at odd times when fitting the rings - did this happen to you?

Enjoy the gloves -I know that changing to dry gloves was a really good move and I would never go back to a wet gloves in cold water. Huge difference between wet and dry for me- cold water gives me cramp in my hands and prevents me manipulating valves etc. In warmer water then I would still swap to 3mm for comfort.

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do. I had dry gloves before so its nothing new to me - just a different ring system since the old ones have been heavily bashed and so are very difficult to get off now.

About the DVD, I never noticed anything particularly unusual in the video, all seemed to make sense, and when I put them on never had any problems. Obviously not quite as quick as in the video (they cut out some of the "fiddling" needed to get them square) but certainly no problems with it.

Also can't foresee any problems with the plastic - its fairly chunky, seems nice and tough. Also the outside parts are all essentially "passive", ie the seal is made on the inside of the ring. With my old gloves the seal was made on the outside of the ring, so the most exposed part of the ring was the sealing surface - hence the need to replace them now (albeit after 3 years of use, so not bad). Only time will tell though...

Only time I swap to 3mm gloves is when i'm in a wetsuit. In my drysuit I prefer the dry gloves even in the summer, I find I have more dexterity (helped by the fact I wear thinner liner-gloves in the summer) and they're still easier to put on than 3mm gloves, just don't find any reason to swap back to 3mm really. Don't *need* the warmth of the dry glove, but still prefer them to neoprene now.

David

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Northern Diver Drygloves

David

I will have to have a look at my friends re the seal as sound different to the way the rolocks are fitted. I like the way that the rings protect the seals.

Re swapping to wet gloves- I do this for wrecks and for longer deco in the sea where I don't need the warmer drygloves. I tend to keep the drygloves back for inland sites where I can get out quickly if I have a flood. On wreck dives I just feel a little more confident with wet gloves and in the sea, most of the time its warm enough for wet gloves. Still at £3per glove hardly need to worry about it do we!! 3 or in some case 5mm just makes me feel a little more relaxed when ferreting through some dodgy wreck.

What are you using as thinner liners

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are you using as thinner liners
I just use some cheapo liner gloves I found in Millets - nothing exciting really. Although they're not perfect - I wear them inside out because they've got seams which aren't very comfy if worn the right way around.

On wrecks I don't tend to worry about the glove leaking - i've dived with them soaked a few times (I didn't used to have anything under the seal, so if some air leaked through at depth they'd blow up on ascent, so I took them off to reveal the pressure - lesson learnt: always have something under the seal!). Even soaked, I don't find them any colder than wet gloves (since that's essentially what they become). Only problem with them leaking is if they leak into the suit through the seal, in which case yes it can be a big problem.

David

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Honestly... they're probably the worst compromise i've seen of gloves!

Horrible latex seals (i've seen someone - even with help - struggle to get these gloves on), the tight-fitting neoprene makes it even worse than the blue drygloves with a latex seal, and they're 5mm neoprene so don't even get an an advantage in dexterity.
I tried these and gave up on them, getting the first one on was easy. Getting the second one on and the seal flat i found just about impossible. Even enduring the laughter and comments about needing a buddy to help get dressed with 2 people it was still hard to get to seal properly. A nice idea on paper but i found them useless in practice.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Northern Diver drygloves

I used to have blue gloves with latex seals - they were bad enough to get on. Can't see any benefit with the neoprene gloves-especially as they are 5mm so you gain nothing in feel.

I Did have scubapro semi drys which weren't too bad- apart from the fact that I go hand cramps at 60m when doing shutdowns cause they were too tight. Quite ok to get on as you could fold the seal back.

Still they work for some people, but if its that cold prefer proper ringed drygloves-that way you don't get loss of warmth through a double latex seal- which can happen with some blue gloves

cheers.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Shameless thread bump and revival.

How are the gloves several months on? Are you still using them or have they given problems?

My new suit should hopefully arrive in a week or 2 and im looking at getting dry gloves so were considering the ND rings.

Do i need to wear a liner under these?
How easy is it to change the gloves for a new pair (can you modify the standard "blue glove"?

Finally, how did you go about guessing size on the internet, i cant find a sizing guide on their site so wouldnt have a clue what size to get - im assuming its just the glove size and the ring part of it is constant?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey,

Yeah, still got the gloves and still use them, not had any problems and still just as easy to pop on and off.

The ND gloves come with a separate liner glove, but it seemed unnecessarily thick and bulky to me so i've stuck with my old ones - which are just normal thin-ish gloves from an outdoor shop, nothing special. You could wear the thicker ones if you wanted, but I never have a problem with my hands getting cold even with these thin ones, so no reason to swap.

You can change the glove part very easily - it's actually much easier than it was with my old ring system which needed a lot of stretching and I seem to remember needing 5 hands to do it with! With these I can swap them myself with minimal effort, so bonus points there. They take the standard showa type blue (or any other colour) gloves, so if you get a hole in them it's £3.50 for a new pair of gloves (from baconsdozen.co(m/.uk)) - bargain!

I knew my size from the last ones I had. If you go to the baconsdozen site it's got a very rough guide to working out what size you are, but worst-case if you get the wrong size you can just replace the gloves. As far as i'm aware all the rings are the same size.

Hope that helps :)

David

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
They take the standard showa type blue (or any other colour) gloves, so if you get a hole in them it's £3.50 for a new pair of gloves (from baconsdozen.co(m/.uk)) - bargain!

I knew my size from the last ones I had. If you go to the baconsdozen site it's got a very rough guide to working out what size you are, but worst-case if you get the wrong size you can just replace the gloves. As far as i'm aware all the rings are the same size.

Hope that helps :)

David
going off at a minor tangent: re: the bacons dozen site - they don't do the size 11 Showa gloves - only up to size 10.

you can however get the size 11s from Protec Direct PPE - Personal Protection Equipment for less money.. ;)

direct link: Protec Direct PPE - Personal Protection Equipment

;)

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Glad you got on OK with these gloves Scuby, one of the lads from our club bought some... He fitted them and jumped in the pool to try them out before going open water...

Both the gloves exploded off his hands/suit and flew into the air! They've been at the bottom of his kit box ever since!

:D

1 - 20 of 99 Posts