YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi Barry,

I've got tape and glue. Come over next week and I can help try and fix it.

J
Thanks John, I've ordered tape and glue from Seaskin so it should be here in the next day of so.

It's more annoying that there's been no attempt to make any contact with me.

B

·
Registered
505 Posts
I know it's not strictly the same, but I've also just had a very suspect run in with Northern Diver. I bought their Dry Glove System as my scubapro drysuit has neoprene cuffs.... after fitting them 3 times, and each following dive being wet, I decided to call ND for advice.

I was told to send the suit and ring system into them, they'd have a look and let me know what the problem is. A week later i get a call from ND telling me there was nothing wrong with the fitting of the dry rings, but they'd found both my cuffs were leaking and that they'd be able to resolve the issue for me by fitting a nice new pair of cuffs and refix the dry rings, for the princely sum of £130!!!

I explained on the phone that I found that slightly odd, considering the last few dives i'd done using wet gloves as i'd not been able to get the drygloves to remain dry, and had no issues with my cuffs, no leaks, no wet arms etc. That and the fact that once the drygloves are fitted, the cuffs are technically on the inside of what should be a "dry" chamber, inside the gloved area and therefore I think the cuffs are not the problem....

I even suggested that if the cuffs were going to be replaced, perhaps changing the neoprene cuffs to latex would be a good idea, but was told this would not be possible, i forget the reason they gave, but to this day i can't figure why it wouldn't be possible??

I got a whole lot technical babble thrown back at me, that meant nothing, so i asked them to explain in more layman terms about half a dozen times before finally giving in (stupidly) and agreeing to pay the £130 for new neo cuffs and the rings to be refitted. ND promised the suit would come back, guaranteed dry... i figured i just wanted it done, and so paid!

A whole 3 weeks later my suit finally arrived..... i'm yet to have the opportunity to dive the suit and test the result once and for all...... but however i look at it, £130 big ones for essentially a new pair of cuffs that i'm not even convinced i needed (the suit was only about 8 months old, and i'd had no problems with seal leakage when diving wet gloves!) leaves a bitter taste..... not impressed at all. Needless to say i won't be purchasing anything ND in the future!!! Their customer service is a far cry from satisfactory... Just my opinion, based on my own experience!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had a chat with them at one of the dive shows, I wanted to buy an arctic top from them. I don't dive but thought the top would come in handy for winter shore cover. I asked how much for just the top, was told they only come as a set and that as the full set is cheaper than the 4th element top then I'd be getting a bargain ... well not really, if I had to pay the same price regardless and my choice was a 4th element top or a full Northern Diver set and I only want the top ... it's not gonna be the Northern Diver set is it. Hmmmm they don't seem to care if they get a sale or not. I guess that's down to commercial contracts, so retail customers are just not importantn... one day that's gonna come back to haunt them I think.

·
Registered
505 Posts
They have no right to undertake £100+ of work without consulting you first. I would have simply demanded the suit back.
To be fair they did get my authorisation first, but their call was very much under-toned with "If you want your suit back, have it! By the time you pay the postage back from us then too & from someone else you'll pay the same anyway!" In hindsight, I should've had it back, but I just wanted the damn problem resolved! And I paid dearly for it! I won't ever use them again, as much for their attitude as their price & service!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anybody any experience of the Come Dive With Me BSAC/NDiver promotion ? We've got 2 or 3 Ocean Diver trainees who will be venturing into Open Water soon and it's likely the promotion would catch their eye, apart from the shocking quality of ND kit, what's the whole getting a voucher and ordering through the promotion thing like with them these days ? Do you actually get the discount or do they try and wriggle out of it etc ?

I'm guessing, from comments above, it's still pot luck if you get what you ordered and as much of a gamble on how long before it falls in a heap.

·
- .... . / -.. .. ...- . / ..-. --- .-. ..- --
557 Posts
Well, I have to report a positive experience with a ND suit, much to the disgust of the YD massive ;).
I bought my current front-entry CNX suit from a YD member practically new last January. It was MTM for him and luckily it fits me like a glove. 50 dives later its still dry. It wasn't always but it was either user error (don't forget to fully close the zip!) or pee-valve malfunction sorted by Scapa Scuba brilliantly overnight.
As I got it cheap even if it disintegrates after another 50 dives I got my money's worth. Would I buy another one? Possibly not, but go for an O3 or Otter. I hope not to have to have this question for a couple more seasons.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Even if the discount was 100% I wouldn't touch ND. They are total, utter, complete and absoute rubbish. You would be better off in a wetsuit. Trust me, I speak from bitter experience here.

I suspect that 'discount' will be off full RRP, and anyone who pays full RRP for an ND suit needs their head examining anyway.

Seaskin will do a much better job, and even if they don't, at least their customer service is very very good.

I am amazed ND are still in business, although I believe they have a big military contract so perhaps that is what keeps them going.

101 - 120 of 141 Posts