YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm going to Sharm end of January diving with Ocean College and I was wondering if anybody knows how strict they are on diving limits according to your qualifications?
I'm Paddi open water so strictly speaking I'm limited to 18 m although I have dived to 28 m, I want to be able to dive to 30 m out their and don't really want to have to take the advanced as I have done all the things that they train on the course anyway!
I was thinking of telling them that I had taken the advanced but lost the card and just show them my paddi open water!
Also does anybody know what inoculations you need for Egypt?
Thanks for any feedback/Steve

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

You'll need innoculations for hepatitis A, typhoid fever, and polio for Egypt.  It's one injection, but get it soon, think it's supposed to be 30 days prior.

On my only visit to the RS, Emperor were strict with depths/quals.  Apart from the wrecks, the best life is up near the surface anyway, so why go deeper?

Enjoy your trip.  I'm diving with OC in just over a weeks time - really looking forward to it.

dan.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I have been to the red sea loads of times, the charters always look at you card to make sure you are qualified but I have never witnessed anyone being stopped doing more than their qualification allows. Qualifications are usualy checked at an office on shore, once you are on the boat with a guide none of them are bothered. In general they all have a 30m rule in that area and don't encourage or lead people beyond it. Stick to this and you will be okay. I am of course presuming that you are up to this?? Don't push it if either you or your buddy are apprehensive, maybe build up to it during you hols?

Regards

James

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I dived with Ocean College back in April last year. As everyone has said they do check your qualifications, can't comment on whether or not you'll have a problem or can lie as we were all BSAC. There is a 30m no deco rule. This may be overlooked slightly to do penetration on the Thistlegorm, but otherwise is strictly adhered too.

Innoc's I had Hep A & B, Polio, Typhoid, Tetanus and another that i forget.

There only reason to go deep is for ray's, sharks, dolphins etc, otherwise most of the life is in the range og 12m - 18m. They only give you a 12l tank so 50mins is all you'll get. If your competant and comfortable they'll allow you to dive the dives.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Ah yes, the no-deco rule
 The dive guide didn't look happy when I signalled that I'd be staying at 6m a little longer than 3 minutes...

dan.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Imported post

As you are a member of a BSAC branch have you not carried on with your training with them to Sports Diver? This then would give you the "qualified" Depth limits you require.

I know the bay is wiped out at the moment, looks more like tea, but there are other sites you can get in to finish the practical side.
Be good...

Odin

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>If you dive beyond your qualification limits and have an incident in all probability your insurance will not cover you.

Helicopter recovery, hyperbaric treatment and repatriation costs can run into £100k+! If you think you can afford to pay this out of your own wallet then by all means go ahead and dive to 30m. Of course, incidents always happen to someone else and you'll get away with it - right up until the day that you don't.

Don't risk it. If you want to dive beyond 18m, take an AOW course before you go, or do one while you're there. If you don't, and do have an incident, you may be lucky enough to live to regret it.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I agree entirely with Mark. Do the course! You may think you already know it all but I'm pretty sure you'll learn something.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys!
Dan you will have to let us know how you get on with Ocean College, have a great time!
Odin- the BSAC branch I joined a few months ago aren't doing any training for sports diver until the summer -- so I'm kind of out of luck, I have been thinking about doing my Paddi advanced in sharm  but diving abroad is so different from diving in the UK that I'm not sure I would actually benefit much particularly things like navigation!
Thanks again for everyone's advice
Steve  

·
Registered
90 Posts
Imported post

I would suggest you also get your AOW. I went there in December being AOW with about 18 dives. You do have to show your qualification card when you first check in.

For me the first dive was down to about 27M but easy in terms of no current etc... The guides keep an eye on everyone the first day to assess your skill. If they think you are competant they may not stick so strictly with the 18M rule BUT as they will probably put most of the OW divers on the same boat they would have to be confident with everyone to go deeper.

If your air comsumption is not good and you are on a boat with more experienced divers you can order 15L tanks for subsequent days. There were a couple of people who joined our boat to dive the Thistlegorm who did this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts