YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

i am looking to buy my first camera to use underwater and havent really got a clue as to what is best at a reasonable price, i have been looking at The fuji f31fdhas anyone used this? is it any good? or should i be looking at something else?

all advice would be appreciated

thanks

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
The Fuji F10/11 is excellent, the F30 is excellent so I would have to assume that the F31 would be just as good.

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
I have the F30 and am well impressed with it. It takes excellent pictures on land - even in low lighting. It is compact and easy to use in its underwater housing. The led screen is a nice big size and is easily readable in the water.

The only downside is my mastery of all the facilities it has on it - especially in use underwater. It's a learning curve and I am definitely still learning.

Would recommend one highly.

Lyv

·
Registered
118 Posts
the F30 is a great little camera, handles well, has a large screen and takes good images. The F31 is a little more advanced, a little more expensive and I think the only major difference is the face detection system which may or may not be of value to you.

Best wishes
John

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have the F30 and am well impressed with it. It takes excellent pictures on land - even in low lighting. It is compact and easy to use in its underwater housing. The led screen is a nice big size and is easily readable in the water.

The only downside is my mastery of all the facilities it has on it - especially in use underwater. It's a learning curve and I am definitely still learning.

Would recommend one highly.

Lyv
Have to agree here, I have a F30 (my first UW camera). Very impressed with the results, would recomend it.

There are some cool features on it when you figure it out, but they are not that tricky when you get used to it, and when you do, you get some cracking photos on it.

Enjoy.

gogs

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even newer than the f31 is the f40.

I have only taken it for a couple of trips but considering the bad vis the results have been great.

·
Going down and loving it
831 Posts
I have played with an F30 and from what i have seen its the only one on the market at the moment I would buy.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Even newer than the f31 is the f40.

I have only taken it for a couple of trips but considering the bad vis the results have been great.
I was under the impression that the F40 is aimed at a different type of consumer to the F31 and isn't neccessarily an enhanced version of the F31. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Difficult to tell. Although none of the authoriative sources for camera reviews have come out (like dpreview) it looks and feels very similar to all of the other F series cameras.

I bought it because the F31FD with housing was actually more expensive with a couple of memory cards because the F31FD uses XD and the F40FD can also use SD. (The SD cards are half the price for the same size).

Just like the F30 etc it Fuji have developed a housing to go along with the camera.

Like a rep from Cameras Underwater once said to me at LIDS. Point and Shoot cameras are all basically the same underwater. Half the battle is getting as close as you can to the subject and the other half is composing the shot. (Neither of which have anything to do with the camera you buy).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts