YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I did not want to highjack the below thread more than it already had been so hear I am.

The phrase "not allowed" was used many times in relation to different diving Agencies and max PPO2 and maybe MODs and .....

I am of the opinion that is incorrect and they are recommendations for max PPO2/MODs etc.

In this increasingly "nanny state" we live in I find the "not allowed" phrase highly irritating - even if I wouldn't do "whatever" anyway, I don't need people telling me not to.

So - is there any Agency out there that actually says "not allowed/permitted" in its literature rather than "recommended".

If there isn't then please do not say "not allowed" (even if it is easier to type than recommendation) - it only encourages the "nannies".  

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Amen, be responsible for your own diving!!

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

and another thing.....

There is no law requiring you to be certified to dive in the UK...... So everything is a recconmedation  

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

It all comes down to f'in litigation culture. If you plan a dive with a ppO2 of 1.5 with an less-experienced diver and they slip on deck and sue you because they stubbed their toe, then you might need to prove that the high ppO2 wasn't a contributary part of the accident.

If you'd planned 1.4, you could say "aha but BSAC/PADI/TDI whoever say it's ok, and I'm just following what I was trained to do." No problems.

If you've dived against your organisations recommendations, then you have to prove that either a) you know better or b) it wasn't part of the accident (which is easy in the example above!) But if teh court finds against you...

Anyway I blame those "where there's blame there's a claim" adverts. Do you reckon I could sue them?

Laters,
   Janos

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Blimey Bryan, I know you're bored but this is scraping the barrel. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GET ON A BOAT LOOKING LIKE A REFUGEE FROM 'THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK'.  You bloody hippy you.  Long haired types get right on my tits.  On account of having more hair on my tits than my head.  But I'm not bitter. Oh no.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Mar. 09 2004,01:51)]Blimey Bryan, I know you're bored but this is scraping the barrel. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GET ON A BOAT LOOKING LIKE A REFUGEE FROM 'THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK'.  You bloody hippy you.  Long haired types get right on my tits.  On account of having more hair on my tits than my head.  But I'm not bitter. Oh no.
Ah, the green eyed monster rears its ugly head.

No. Wait a minute. That's you isn't it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts