YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

When I was at Horsea a couple of weekends ago, it was around 6, and my head was so cold that the inside of my mask steamed up as a result of the tears of pain condensing on the inside of it.  I dived dry, and had a 5mm semi dry hood.

Working on the basis that there is no such thing as a cold dive, simply the wrong clothing, any suggestions ?

I had thought of wearing 2 hoods, but as I understand the principles of insulation, this wouldn't make much difference.

Would a 7mm hood (is there such a thing ?) make a material difference ?

Or am I simply a girly wuss who should be grateful because when I was your age.....etc......

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Try a swimming cap under your hood. It's not something I've tried, as I don't get a cold head (even in a 5mm hood with no seal down to about 4deg), but it has been reccommended by others. In theory, it should help a bit.

Failing that, try warming your hood up with warm water before you get in the water.

A cold head will make the rest of you cold, and affect your concentration, so try whatever you need to to get comfortable. Diving should be fun!

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

from personal experience, hot water in the hood does make a big difference (especially on a second dive).

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Is the hood lined with Titanium?
Mine is and my head roasts, my son's isnt and it freezes my head something horrible. Also is it a tight fit. Again my boy's hood is a bit lose on me and I notice how much it flushes.

HTH
Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Get a Chillcheater hood to wear under your neo. one - I've never had a cold head when wearing this combination

·
Registered
488 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Try a Reed Chillcheater hood as a liner.  I've not used a hood personally but have heard good reports and I do use their other kit under a wetsuit and they are excellent.

Reed

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (simon moore @ Mar. 18 2004,14:52)]Or am I simply a girly wuss who should be grateful because when I was your age.....etc......
undoubtedly you are but then there's a lot of us about! GRIN and being cold is horrid. my head is ok but my hands are freezin!

Think layers, swimming cap (not one with big flowers on it's just not teckie) or Reed chillcheater underlayer (their stuff is GOOD and comes in techie black) and also a flask of hot water to prewarm it. Also make sure your hood isnt too big as you dont want the water to wash in and out.

The chillcheater stuff is amazing value and customer service second to none. Just ring them with your credit card and it arrives first class post next day.

keep your head warm on the boat by wearing a hat until you put your hood on and immediately you take your hood off. Are you bald?

jules

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (simon moore @ Mar. 18 2004,14:52)]Or am I simply a girly wuss who should be grateful because when I was your age.....etc......
<font color='#0000FF'>Simon

Oh, dear you might be a wuss but a girly one don't be silly.  What are you man or mouse.  
 just put your hood on and get on with it.  

·
3,299 Posts
Imported post

So that's the votes from the girls jury then!
You are in fact a wuss but you can embrace your wuss-i-ness and not let it undermine your masculinity. Be liberated, be a boysy wuss!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I apologise if, with or without malice aforethought, I either did or may have offended in any way any wuss, whether girly or otherwise. This apology extends to all wusses, whether known or unknown, and whether girly, ungirly, or girly as a result of any actual or contemplated gender re orientation.

I actually meant girly blouse.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Simon, firstly apologies for not posting on your intro and sceondly don't back down because of the two girlies, however scary they might be.  

Oh and welcome to the madhouse.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Simon

On behalf of all the girlies, your apology is accepted and don't believe anything Dude says we are not scary  
well Jules and I aren't but you haven't met Helen yet  
.  Anyway welcome to YD.  Like a bloke who knows his place.  

FB

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (simon moore @ Mar. 18 2004,17:15)]I actually meant girly blouse.
You might find that the correct grammatical term is: "big girl's blouse".

My dear dad's favourite term of endearment is: "yer gret bloody  jessy!"  

I'll never be half the woman my dad is!

coat anyone??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
I use a swimming cap under my hood . it has solved all my cold head problems I also put hot water into the hood on second dive works a treat .
Fiona.

·
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (simon moore @ Mar. 18 2004,17:15)]I apologise if, with or without malice aforethought, I either did or may have offended in any way any wuss, whether girly or otherwise. This apology extends to all wusses, whether known or unknown, and whether girly, ungirly, or girly as a result of any actual or contemplated gender re orientation.

I actually meant girly blouse.
glad to see you are getting the hang of this YD malarky. get in an apology early and offer to get your coat. There are a lot of wusses on this board both girly ones and the other kinds. Most of the girly wusses are blokes though so dont feel afraid to identify as one if you like.

its the blouses you have to watch out for , they are well hard but not as hard as the starched shirts.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Mar. 19 2004,00:11)]Most of the girly wusses are blokes though so dont feel afraid to identify as one if you like.
Well, on that subject, prior to buying a weight harness, I used to use a bright pink shot belt. Always felt as if it got me in contact with my feminine side,

Having said that, so does wearing Liz's underwear when she's out!!

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Yup, definatly a case of girly blouse wuss ness

If its flushing any thing to hold the water i.e. in suits T-Shirt or sweat shirt, so a thin balaclave made of thermal clothing type material (i think the army issued me something like this years ago - never wore it).

Moore hair? Syrup fig?

But better still get the wussiness removed

Dive Safe

Paul

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Martyn Ward @ Mar. 19 2004,00:18)]Having said that, so does wearing Liz's underwear when she's out!!
l feel so much better now, knowing l'm not the only one.

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

One thing I've seen sugeested in the past is to cut a small hole in the top of your hood to let any trapped air out.  It's not as stupid as it sounds, as the reason your hood may be cold is that air is trapped in your hood, and when it leaves (moving your head or adjusting your hood) it allows cold water to flush in.  This used to happen with my Typhoon hood - when mask clearing a little air would seem into the hood and then escape at ome point, leaving cold water to flush in.  

I must admit I didn't try it as I got a new hood with my new drysuit (Oceanic titanium) and it's great.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts