YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi YD,

Me and the missus are thinking of another trip and I guess the Red Sea is favourite again. It should be bloody cheap too?

We dived on day boats from Hurghada earlier this year, which was good enough, but think its time we tried a liveaboard.

Can anyone suggest a good one? I have heard so many conflicting stories regarding location too. North is the new south etc.

Ta very glad!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I'll be going on the Tiger Lilly with 3 friends to the Brothers, Daedalus Reef and Elphinstone Reef at the end of this month. It's not cheap (£1049 including return flight Gatwick- Marsa Alam) but by all accounts is worth every penny. Little Brother is considered by many to be the best dive in the Red Sea (and not just the Egyptian part). I'll post a report when I get back. In the meantine, take a look at the following link:
http://www.redseadivers.com/boattige.htm

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Thanks John,

Any more anyone?

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have dived the north several times, we went south to the Brothers, Daedalus and Elphinstone in October 2001.  We went out from Hurgharda, the Brothers were great with 2 excellent wrecks on them, there was quite a current although I think we may have been dropped off from not the best position in the zodiac and it was quite a struggle getting over the reef.  We then went further south to do D & E, to be honest I was a bit disappointed in one of them can't remember which.  I would definately do the Brothers again I would have prefered to stay and do them a bit more.  I would highly recommend a liveaboard -    
tea and biscuits, dive, breakfast, dive, lunch, dive, maybe night dive, dinner, drinks.  None of that packing your kit up day after day.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
Another small piece of advice, go for a boat with two engines, we were on the LadyM a very nice boat with an excellent skipper, however while tied up overnight on the Brothers with quite strong winds, one of our mooring lines broke free and we hit the reef trashing on of the screws. We woke up to a very loud thump, if it had been a less experienced skipper I think our holiday would have been over, but ours still went to D & Elphinstone on one engine.  LadyM has a website www.ladyM.com but we booked through Tony Backhurst.  A friend has also been on Coral Queen again worth a look at.

Fiona

1 - 5 of 5 Posts