YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm sure this has been done to death, but I thought I'd get opinions anyway!

I'm an AOW diver with 55 dives, and looking to get my first diving computer...

I'm going to be doing my nitrox speciaility soon, and at present have no plans to start using trimix etc, at least not for a while...

Is the Gekko a nice entry level?

Many thanks

Jon

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
can't go wrong with a gekko. i got one for my girlfriend at the last b'ham dive show for 120 quid and it's been great.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Get the Gekko

Either

1. Go for the Gekko now - it'll not lose much value over a couple of years and you can still use it as a backup (though it doesn't have a gauge mode)

or

2. Buy an entry-level VR3

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Get a VR3...

Sorry only kidding :D

Just make sure its a Nitrox capabul computer that does a decent gauge mode.

I dont know the gecko's spec so id opt for the Vyper. If you can stretch to it the Vytec will keep you in usfull diving for a long long time.

I see a few second hand at a good price so well worth hitting Ebay for the Vytec.

Its obviously a lot of computer for your present level of diving but if your into UK diving and not just blue water holiday stuff I bet you find a use for its functions within a few years. And if you go all the way into deco and beyound the Vytec will cope and if you go inot mix diving it has an excelent gauge mode so its still usefull.

I baught a Mares Surveyour, (Air only) then a year later a Vyper (to do Nitrox) then a Vytec (Because it offered accelorated deco) then a VR3 (Trimix) now a Sherewater (Trimix and nice deco). But I still use the Vytec as a back up and wouldent be without it.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi I'm not familiar with the Gekko and it's functions but I have an Apeks Quantum £169 which does 2 mixes and that will take you a fair way into your career before you need to upgrade IMO

HTH

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had a gekko for just over a year now, doe's what it says on the tin, air/nitrox not had any probs with it found it easy to use. For a cheap n cheerful comp you'll not go far wrong with one

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a gekko, you cant go far wrong with it, its really simple to use, and nitrox. Also computer downloadable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,
Ias in a similar position to you not so long ago myself. Whilst I looked at the gekko and considered it I went for a cressi archimedes 2 in the end...can't remember the exact price but it was cheap for what you get, including the pc data-link (although I wasn't too impressed with the pc dive log software).
Appearently it is very similar to the apeks quantam (forgive me if I'm wrong but my memory isn't always right---could have been the gekko.....:embarassed:)

It can run nitrox ad even lets you switch up to 2 gas mixes during a dive so will still be of use when you eventually start accelerating your deco.

It also has a guage mode, etc and a nice large screen.
Hope that helps
Nick

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Gekko, Vyper, Quantum. In reverse order. The Quantum is very hard to beat at that price, and I had one for over a year only a couple of years ago. And it works. And keeps working. Unless you drop a wreck on it (Ooops). And even then it worked for the next dive, but went a bit wappy after that. Free replacement mind.

I quite like the idea of a Gekko, and the secondhand market is strong enough that you won't lose more than a few quid if in a couple of years you give up or you're doing different diving.

Oh, and get a DSS boot from Phil, they're lovely they are. Rubber boot so you'll look dead cool with it. I've got a couple and they're about the only thing that looks any good on me.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Yes, it's the Quantum that's exactly the same as the Archimede I think. See what's cheaper, they're both the same, but I'd probably go for the Apeks for custerm service, I've never had to deal with Cressi but don't know who the UK distributor is.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Ah, yes, it wouldn't switch gas. No idea if that was diver error. Could have been. :)

I only had one, which I broke, then got another one, which worked. Then I sold it when I got the VR3.

Digs.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Ah, yes, it wouldn't switch gas. No idea if that was diver error. Could have been. :)

I only had one, which I broke, then got another one, which worked. Then I sold it when I got the VR3.

Digs.
I seem to remember another one of your quantums going;

'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'

(cue loads of people looking around for the source of the very wierd sound)

In Mull?

As it happens, I would also recommend the Vyper (although the Vyper2's just been released).

I use the Stinger (which is almost the same guts but in a watch format) as a backup computer. Works great.

Although I use a VR2 as primary (will be my 6th different dive computer but the one I love the most).

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
400 Posts
Get a Gekko, is absolutely solid and does everything. Ask StabJacket about his new gadget. He has got a new gadgety thing to take the strap off and put it on a new mount that is bungeed, he raved about it all weekend

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've got a Gekko and find it a nice bit of kit. Nice big screen and looks like a bath plug. No backlight but does luminese (is that a word) if you wave your torch at it. As has been said before you can download your dive data even if it says you can't (looks around shiftily and taps side of nose).

Bestest
Allie

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Ignore the Gekko, get yerself an Aladin Air Z Nitrox, in fact, there may be one on Ebay!!

:angel:

Chris/z
:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts