YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Stoney Cove today, at the annual rally of the Historical Diving Society. I kitted up in the old Siebe Gorman rig, and was trampling around the 6 metre ledge, when I happenned upon two divers, one sat either side of one of those fold up camping tables with chairs attached, quietly playing a game of chess!
I just stood watching them for a few minutes, as I couldn't quite believe it. I thought I was narked on surface supplied @ 6m :teeth:
Apparrently last weekend they took pogo sticks in with them!

I think they need to be made honourary members of DiFF for that! :D

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Ermm

It wasn't Freeflow was it? That's the sort of thing he would do :D

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I hope the chess men (and women) were on scuba + the knights were on sea horses! :angry:

·
Banned
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hi.

Years back our club were diving just before Christmas at Stoney, our DO was fannying about with a bunch of trainees.
I went down to the plug hole at the blockhouse which had a miniature Christmas tree complete with flashing fairy lights on, after my 20 mins of freezing my nuts off it was time to get changed into my drinking outfit, I said to our DO there is a nice Christmas tree with lights on at the blockhouse.

He started straight away to extract the pee in front of the trainees, narked out of his head you no what I mean, so I bet him a free Stoney pub dinner and all my beer if there wasn't one,>

Boy did I dine well, and the retribution on him was merciless:teeth: .

And the best till last, we were traveling in one of the lads brand new BMW 7 series, I fell asleep as we went out of the car park and they woke me up at my house. Time travel superb!.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
It just goes to show the lengths you have to go to if you want a dive in Stoney to be even close to interesting! :)

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
I still can't get my head around the fascination with quarries in the summer. There are literally 1000s of good wrecks on the south coast. Diving yesterday on a wreck in 35m with tons of stuff still on it and the second dive was a little wreck in 10m with loads of portholes. I am not into the spidging thing, so also enjoy seeing the rich fish and marine life.

Glorious sunshine, warm water and good viz.

Anyways I guess I must be missing something here...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Problem some of us have is to travel to the coast. Living in the peak national park with roads full of grockels it takes at least 30 mins to get to the nearest stretch of dual carriageway, let alone a motorway. So a trip to the coast can take up to three to four hours to find a suitable, and enjoyable site. With Stoney or Capers it is still a two hour drive.
In that way I do miss Hampshire 40 mins to coast from Basingstoke.
An hour 30 from Portland if I left early enough.
So the quarry is sometimes the only suitable alternative, when family commitments have to be taken into account.
And as the one that is only 20 mins away is nearly 40 metres deep and quite large it just keeps the skills levels up.

·
GUE Tech Instructor
614 Posts
Problem some of us have is to travel to the coast. Living in the peak national park with roads full of grockels it takes at least 30 mins to get to the nearest stretch of dual carriageway, let alone a motorway. So a trip to the coast can take up to three to four hours to find a suitable, and enjoyable site. With Stoney or Capers it is still a two hour drive.
So the quarry is sometimes the only suitable alternative, when family commitments have to be taken into account.
And as the one that is only 20 mins away is nearly 40 metres deep and quite large it just keeps the skills levels up.
I thought grockel was a west country thing ... are you away from home?

·
Scallop serial killer
1,311 Posts
Whoever they are, they are undoubtedly honorary DiFF members for life! Pogo sticks - brilliant.

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was hoping to spot them when they came out, but typically when they came out of the water I was busy pumping air down to the next diver, so it would have been a bad move to head after them just then :D

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts

the same for London really, littlehamton is the closest for south coast diving but this time of year the roads to the coast are like the queues for bread in russia:)
can take 3-4 hours to get to the south and coming back well forget it !!!

however going north to an inland site can be as little as 1.5 hrs.

anyway, the chess players really are brilliant, bet some trainees had to look twice.:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I still can't get my head around the fascination with quarries in the summer. There are literally 1000s of good wrecks on the south coast. Diving yesterday on a wreck in 35m with tons of stuff still on it and the second dive was a little wreck in 10m with loads of portholes. I am not into the spidging thing, so also enjoy seeing the rich fish and marine life.

I couldn't agree more. I've been to Stoney Cove once and that's only because people were raving about it. Walked away thinking what a dump. Never been back and if it were the last place on earth to go diving I would take up competition tiddly winks as being more interesting. :teeth: :teeth:

Why would I go to a little hole in the ground full of junk when there's some fantastic dives to be had around Wales.

Sal

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
Well some of us have commitments like getting children to and from school midweek, which leaves about six hours to get to a dive site, dive, and get home (weekends are usually out the question without HUGE logistical problems). Whilst the coast would be great (Lincolnshire isn't renowned for good sites either), it is either Stoney or other muddy puddle, or nowt.

If you're lucky enough to get into the salty stuff with every dive, how about sparing a thought for those who don't have that option, rather than just moaning about the place. For us, it is an essential resource if we aren't going to let our skills go down the pan between months apart dives.

Reactions: dave archer

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Well some of us have commitments like getting children to and from school midweek, which leaves about six hours to get to a dive site, dive, and get home (weekends are usually out the question without HUGE logistical problems). Whilst the coast would be great (Lincolnshire isn't renowned for good sites either), it is either Stoney or other muddy puddle, or nowt.

If you're lucky enough to get into the salty stuff with every dive, how about sparing a thought for those who don't have that option, rather than just moaning about the place. For us, it is an essential resource if we aren't going to let our skills go down the pan between months apart dives.

couldn't have put it better myself.

I think there are far too many 'salt dogs' who think a freshwater dive is like bathing in satans jizz. I am with recurve on this that a freshwater dive is better than no dive and getting rusty with skills.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
i would love to dive every week in the sea !

especialy like the ones who live at the sea side ! i.e south coast !

as for me i couldnt give a toss if people think stoney or capernwray is a good dive

or not as its each to their own !

inland is always great just to brush up on skills meet ya mates for a dive !!

regards leigh

·
Rich D
582 Posts
absulutley - 30 mins to stoney and 75 dives a year - or 4 hours to the coast and more like 20 a year. I would love to live a reasonable distance from the coast - but sadly I (for now) live in the midlands - and be able to do sea dives more rugulary which is why i go to stoney/dosthill

·
Registered
4,060 Posts

I guess that's very easy to say when you have the sea on your doorstep, Dave - some of us aren't quite so fortunate...

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
I guess that's very easy to say when you have the sea on your doorstep, Dave - some of us aren't quite so fortunate...
Give it a couple years and you may have a beach front property!

I've started waterproofing my walls and sealing the windows!

·
DIR since '64
261 Posts
Wasn't really a case of good fortune - more lifestyle choice.

I took a redundancy package back in 2002 and went off backpacking for a while. Came back to the UK & went job hunting.

Got loads of interviews and subsequent job offers, but opted for a lesser paid job - BUT enabled me to live on the coast.

If I was into UK cave diving or mountaineering I would move next to the caves or mountains. My interest is wrecks QED I live next to one of the richest wreck areas in the world. I dive for a purpose rather for the sake of clocking up hours.

At the back of my mind, is that at some point I may stop diving ( for what ever reason ) and my second choice 'hobby' is sailing. So I would move to where the best sailing is - oh I am already here :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts